Homemade Granola: You’ve Been Warned

January 04 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 161 comments

granola8.jpeg

A quick warning: if you think you love cereal that comes from a box on the shelf and if you do not wish to be convinced otherwise, this is not the post for you. Come back tomorrow for a post that might make you drool, but at least it won’t put your relationship with your morning cereal in serious jeopardy.

granola4.jpeg

Wow, you’re still reading? Well, you my friend, are brave. You might think I’m exaggerating. But I assure you that this granola is that good. My own break-up story with boxed cereal began this summer, when I uncharacteristically ordered yogurt and granola when we were at one of our favorite breakfast places (Vella Cafe, which is conveniently—and dangerously—located steps from our front door). Vella’s parfait featured a local granola that is somewhat of a Chicago celebrity: Milk and Honey Granola.

granola6.jpeg

While I still don’t think any version of granola that I’ve concocted at home is quite as good Milk and Honey’s version, they’ve all been close. I’ve tried several different recipes, which—generally speaking—all contain some combination of oats (and sometimes coconut, wheat germ or bran); mixed nuts, fruits and seeds; at least one sweetener (sugar, honey, maple syrup); flavorings (like cinnamon or vanilla) and at least one fat (typically, a neutral vegetable oil like canola). Once I realized that the recipes were basically variations of the same theme, I created a recipe of my own that I adore.

granola1.jpeg

More than the fact that homemade granola is endlessly customizable, I love that granola is a stunning example of the sum completely transcending its parts. And it will make your house smell unbelievably good and turn your breakfast into an exciting event. This granola is even special enough to package up in a beautiful bag or jar and ship across the country as a gift or unexpected treat. Tell me the last time you did that with your “favorite” boxed cereal.

(Click “more” for additional photos and the recipe)

Granola

3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes, unsweeteend
3 tablespoons flax seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts, chopped (I used pistachios and almonds here)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used raisins and dried cherries and cranberries here)

Preheat the oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the dried fruit. Stir well to incorporate.

granola2.jpeg

Spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet, spreading it out into an even layer. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the depth of goldenness you’re looking for), stirring every 10 minutes.

granola3.jpeg

Remove the granola from the oven and and cool completely, in its pan, on a wire wrack. Once the granola is cool, mix in the dried fruit.
granola7.jpeg

1. Monica says on January 04 2008 at 5:10 pm:

I’ve been dabbling with home-made granola since summer too but mine is a little more basic. I will DEFINITELY try yours. Thanks for the post!

2. ourkitchensink says on January 04 2008 at 5:28 pm:

Monica: You’re welcome! I hope you do try this — and let me know how it goes!

3. JEP says on January 04 2008 at 7:14 pm:

Oh, I really do like granolas! Especially with Fage yogurt. I will try your original recipe as it matches my preferences pretty darn closely!

4. ourkitchensink says on January 04 2008 at 7:21 pm:

JEP: Couldn’t agree more about the Fage — that’s the lovely white cloud in the top photo. If you do try this recipe out, let me know what you think!

5. Katelyn says on January 05 2008 at 12:07 pm:

This granola looks AMAZING! And since I’ve already ruined my relationship with boxed cereals through some granola-making of my own, I will DEFINITELY be trying yours.

6. ourkitchensink says on January 05 2008 at 3:06 pm:

Katelyn: Thanks! And thanks too for blogrolling me!

7. Hillary says on January 07 2008 at 12:26 pm:

Granola is the best! I even wrote an article about my favorite homemade granola recipes here: http://www.recipe4living.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=58314

Thanks for sharing yours!

8. Monica says on January 25 2008 at 3:05 am:

I made it and it is delicious!!!! So much better than my recipe. The only thing I wish I had done was taken the time to buy better dried fruit (I was lazy and just bought a dried fruit mix – ugh, they still make prunes?!?). Next time b/c this batch will be gone soon.

Thank you for sharing your recipe!

9. ourkitchensink says on January 25 2008 at 5:32 pm:

Monica: Wonderful! I can’t tell you how nice it is to get feedback on recipes that are my own creation. I always kinda wonder if I’m the only one who thinks they’re delicious. Thanks for reporting back!

10. karen (Pediascribe) says on April 09 2008 at 1:45 pm:

Did a google search for “homemade granola” and found this! I have everything in my kitchen and I’m off to make it now. Except I’m leaving out coconut (shudder)

11. karen (Pediascribe) says on April 09 2008 at 5:33 pm:

OH MY GOSH! The problem is, I hardly have ANY to store. It was devoured immediately! Plus I used it to put in our parfaits for tonight’s snack.

12. Penny says on April 18 2008 at 12:39 pm:

Any suggestions for leaving out the dried fruit? Maybe some dark chocolate? ;)

13. Leora says on May 05 2008 at 2:49 pm:

Won’t it burn – or come very near it – at 375, before being cooked all the way? I’m scared to try it. Would it work cooked longer at a lower temp, d’ya think? thanks! sounds yummy!!!

14. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on May 05 2008 at 4:22 pm:

Leora: I’ve baked mine a zillion times at 375 and never had a problem. If you’re worried, you could start checking on it after 10 minutes. And I’m sure cooking longer at a lower temperature would work as well. Let us know how it goes!

15. Dina says on June 15 2008 at 4:08 pm:

Yummy! This came out better than I expected and was very easy. I made a few changes based on items that I had in the house. I used chopped walnuts and vegetable oil. I omitted the coconut and sesame seeds.

16. amycamus says on July 05 2008 at 10:09 am:

Many thanks – this is the best and most reliable granola recipe I’ve found, and I am indeed addicted. I use a slightly lower heat – 350F – for exactly 23 minutes in my old oven, taking care to not let the granola around the edges burn. I’ve experimented quite a bit with the recipe, including adding more exotic dried fruits I found at my local Trader Joe’s and always, always grinding the cinnamon myself. My favorite changes (so far) have been to use a bit of blackstrap molasses instead of maple syrup and to add a “secret” ingredient to the liquids: 1/3 cup of peach juice.

17. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 06 2008 at 1:44 pm:

amycamus: Your variations sound delicious! I’ll have to give them a try. Thanks for commenting.

18. anya says on July 07 2008 at 7:53 pm:

im thinking about weaning myself off boxed cereal, and this looks like a great place to start. one question…what is the best way to store granola so it stays fresh?

19. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 08 2008 at 4:53 am:

anya: You won’t regret it! I keep my granola in an airtight plastic container (e.g. Ziploc tupperware). I usually stick half in the cupboard and half in the freezer, but we go through it so fast it’s not usually a problem. Let us know how it goes!

20. jake says on July 14 2008 at 4:52 pm:

this granola looks absolutely scrumptious! my sister and i JUST came back from trader joe’s with all the ingredients and we can’t wait to start! only thing: do you happen to have the nutrition facts per serving? if not, totally okay! thanks for the great recipe!

21. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 14 2008 at 5:55 pm:

jake: I’m glad you’re giving this a try. I hope you like it! I do not have the nutritional facts for this recipe. That said, when developing this recipe, I tried to decrease the sugars and fats as much as possible, without sacrificing flavor. You’ll see recipes out there that call for staggering amounts of sugar/oil/etc. Beyond that, it’s a nutritional powerhouse, with the seeds, oats, nuts and dried fruit. Good luck!

22. Cheeky says on August 02 2008 at 9:23 pm:

Wow, the pictures are fabulous and the actual granola is beautiful! I made it this afternoon, cutting out on the cinnamon, flax/sesame seeds and maple syrup, yet it turned out wonderfully! So much cheaper, tastier and healthier than any store bought cereal – thank you for the gorgeous recipe!

23. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on August 04 2008 at 9:09 am:

Cheeky: Thank you! I’m so glad you liked it. You’re reminding me to make another batch soon.

24. Betsy says on August 20 2008 at 9:20 pm:

I made a batch of this yesterday – my first time making homemade granola. It was so easy and delicious, but the true test will be when my husband comes home from a business trip and tries it. It definitely has less sugar than the granola we’re used to, but a much heartier flavor. I did make one small change – we try not to cook with aluminum, so I used a sprayed pan instead and it was a snap. Next time I’ll try the bars – thanks for the great recipes!

25. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on August 21 2008 at 6:49 am:

Betsy: I’m glad you liked it … and I hope your husband feels the same (fingers crossed). Good to know about the sprayed pan. I think parchment would be fine too.

26. White Feather says on September 13 2008 at 5:51 pm:

I realize this is an old posting, but I just found it, linked from Amy Karol’s “Angry Chicken” blog. I’ve never made granola, but I love to eat it and this looks great. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to try it without changing a single thing and see how it goes.

Sorry, that’s wrong. I found it through a Google search, though I was just on Amy’s site….got a bit confused there.

27. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 15 2008 at 8:03 am:

White Feather: Let us know what you think! Thanks for dropping a note.

28. White Feather says on September 16 2008 at 8:55 pm:

I made the granola and it is fantastic. My husband is not normally a granola lover at all, but he likes this one. I made it ALMOST exactly as above. I couldn’t find any other (unsalted) nuts I like in my local health food store except slivered almonds, so that is all I have, but I love the texture of those. I used dried cherries and apricots for the fruits, which add some real zing and I think that’s why husband likes it so much.

I may experiment with less oil and substitute some applesauce to lower the fat….then nearly all the fat would be from the nuts. I recently had gall bladder surgery and have no choice but to keep the fats low or I’m miserable.

I’ve seen lots of other granola recipies, but yours has the most variety of things in it, which I think is what makes the flavors so interesting. I’d never get bored with it, especially since I can add whatever fruits I want. You could, of course, leave out the dried fruits altogether and just add fresh berries and/or bananas to your morning cereal. The grains/seeds mixture would last much longer without the moist fruits, but truthfully, I don’t think mine is going to last long anyway, as I’m going to eat it up rather quickly.

For any nervous beginners, this is really easy to make, too. Yes, there are a lot of ingredients, but it’s all just measure, mix and bake. Couldn’t be easier.

29. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 17 2008 at 7:58 am:

White Feather: Thanks for the great report! I’m so glad you liked the granola.

30. toboggan says on September 21 2008 at 8:03 am:

Wow! What a find! I have a wheat allergy so it’s easy for the supermarkets to rob me blind or bore me to death with breakfast cereal. I made this on Friday and it was all gone by saturday evening. Delicious! Now I just have to fend off granola induced obesity….

31. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 21 2008 at 7:30 pm:

toboggan: That’s great to hear! Thanks for reporting back.

32. Marv N. says on September 30 2008 at 9:08 pm:

Is there any way to leave out or use less of the oil and maple syrup. I know I’ve seen applesauce substituted in another post, how much? Any other suggestions for substitues? Thank you!

33. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 03 2008 at 11:23 am:

Marv N.: I tinkered with this recipe for a while, exerimenting with more/less fats and sweeteners. The recipe as you see it here was the one that I was (and still am!) satisfied with. That said, feel free to experiment yourself. And be sure to report back if you find something that works. I’m particularly interested to hear about the effect of using applesauce.

34. Spade.Music says on October 04 2008 at 2:39 pm:

I am a musician. I try my best to eat healthy when I am on the road but there is one food that I cant get enough of…”granola”!

I searched the web and came across this recipe. When I get home I cant wait to get in the kitchen and back some up. I usually buy it all the time from the local grocery. But I think its going to be so much better to be able to get it directly from home. I cant wait to smell that warm brown sugar the the air. It;s going to take me back to child hood..lol

I’ll let you all know how mine turns out.

.music

35. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 06 2008 at 8:54 am:

Spade.Music: I hope you enjoy it!

36. sj says on October 08 2008 at 7:32 am:

i also just found this recipe on a google search. my husband fell in love with a container of granola from the store, however that was $5 for 14 oz of granola and it’s almost gone 2 days later. so i guess it’s time to try experimenting at home! i’m excited to try this and surprise the family!!

37. Tina says on October 09 2008 at 9:11 am:

I just made this and finished my first bowl less than 5 minutes ago! I just wanted to say GREAT job on your recipe. It. Is. So. Good!!!! :-)

38. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 10 2008 at 8:19 am:

sj: If you can find a store with bulk bins, this can be very economical. Good luck!

Tina: Thanks! So glad you liked it.

39. Melody says on October 13 2008 at 8:46 pm:

have you ever made granola w/o cinnamon or any spice like it…my husband can’t tolerate those spices…but would love to eat granola again!
    any suggestions?

40. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 14 2008 at 7:50 am:

Melody: I haven’t tried that, but I think the maple and vanilla add a lot of flavor here. You could boost one or both of those and would probably be fine. Let us know!

41. Denise says on October 16 2008 at 6:57 am:

This granola is fantastic! I just made a big pan of it to ‘test’ for Christmas presents! I know my friends are going to love it.

42. Fernandsa says on November 05 2008 at 5:50 pm:

The granola is great. I made some changes for what I had in hand: 1) 2 1/2 cups rolled oats, and 1/2 rolled wheat and 1/2 cup rolled rye; 2) a bit less than 1/4 cup canola oil; 3) I added cashew nuts, dehydrated apple, and raisins. Also, I left in the oven for 40 minutes, at 375.

43. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on November 06 2008 at 9:00 pm:

Denise: Thanks!

Fenandsa: Thank you! Your variations sound lovely.

44. Natalie says on November 13 2008 at 9:12 am:

I made this granola and it has an incredible, hearty, earthy flavor – and how can something so “professional”-looking be so easy to make! Impress your friends, all right! My only problem (but it was kind of a big one) is that mine came out too salty! Do you think it would be fine with half the salt, or no salt? I did use sea salt, but maybe not all sea salt is created equal? What do others think? Thanks kitchensink for the great recipe.

45. Gretchen says on November 15 2008 at 7:35 pm:

I made this last night but got confused from reading so many granola ideas. I actually cooked the sugar, honey, maple syrup and oil and then mixed it in with the granola. I also used cardomom (just purchased some for another project and gasped at the price so I’m trying to get my $$ worth!). It was AMAZING! My 8 year old ate two bowls this morning! I love your blog…been following it faithfully for the last 2 months and tried many recipes…all keepers!

46. Peggy says on November 16 2008 at 12:44 pm:

My father (now 88) used to make granola in the middle of the night when he couldn’t sleep when I was a kid. (The smell would enter my dreams!) I recently was given some great homemade granola by a friend and started searching for recipes… yours comes closest to what I remember. Can’t wait to try it and bought ingredients yesterday at TJs. Will let you know how it goes!

47. Karen says on November 16 2008 at 4:31 pm:

Mine also came out too salty but when I mixed in the fruit and ate it with vanilla yogurt it was perfect! I ground up a fancy sea salt, maybe that’s the problem. I substituted less than 1/4 cup unsalted butter because I don’t like to use canola oil. And I didn’t have vanilla so I used almond extract and Grand Marnier – YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

48. Peggy says on November 16 2008 at 5:06 pm:

Oops! My granola was quite “well-done” after 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Not sure why, unless it was some extra ingredients like wheat germ that I added and may have made it more dry. Still, even if a bit on the toasty side, it is delicious.

49. Leora says on December 01 2008 at 12:51 am:

N.B.! I baked this at 325– mine DID burn first time at 375 – like I suspected…. :-( and watched and tossed it more often than recommended. Came out golden brown and delicious….. um, I forgot how long it took at that temp, though, since I couldn’t leave it alone and kept poking at it. :-) Yum yum!! Thanks for great, great recipe.

50. Marie says on December 06 2008 at 12:48 am:

I’m looking forward to making this, but I’m an overall cookie newbie, so please bear with, but am I cooking the oats first??
    I found a granola bar recipe that says to rinse and oak the oats, but I don’t know if this has something to do with it being for a bar or not?
    I too have a “best granola I’ve ever tasted” and I just found the bag I saved! But I came across your recipe trying to find out how much of each ingredient to use.
    My fave is from a trip I was on almost exactly 5 ago at the Dragonfly Cafe in Taos, NM.
    Oh and I see quite a range of degrees from 325-375 and time from 20-40 minutes. I will be using a new toaster oven, any recommendations on where in this range would be a good start?
    Thanks in advance!

51. Marie says on December 06 2008 at 12:51 am:

PS – I’m on an anti-inflammatory food plan, (No wheat, dairy, sugar, etc.) so I have to use WHOLE, non-instant, non-steel cut oats, if this makes any difference in the cooking factor or not.
    Thx.

52. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on December 07 2008 at 8:45 pm:

Marie: I bake my granola at 375, but I like mine on the toastier, darker side. But, if you’re worried, you can always start lower and crank it up as you go if it’s not achieving the color you want. And I use whole oats, so you should be fine there.

53. vinylhaven says on December 26 2008 at 4:45 pm:

when i saw how you posted this, i knew i had a kindred spirit. i too, have totally converted to homemade granola. i could never go back to “the box”. i looked over your basic recipe, mine’s similiar but i add a little minced crystalized ginger with the fruit, adds a little zing. and ‘real’ yogurt on top is a must, sliced bananas as well if i have them.

54. Tara says on January 05 2009 at 3:35 pm:

This recipe is great! I just made a batch and all I can say is, AMAZING!!!!

55. VickiG says on January 07 2009 at 6:28 pm:

Hi Kristin, my first batch is almost ready to go into the oven … I’m toasting the nuts right now. It looks yummy! My only comment is that in order to be beneficial, flax seeds need to be ground into meal (otherwise they go straight through you and all their great health benefits are lost). I’m going to omit the flax because we have it every morning in OJ … you might like to try ground flax seed in your recipe and see how that works. Thanks for your recipe!
    Vicki

56. Erin says on January 20 2009 at 3:44 pm:

Hi Kristin,

LOVE your website and am trying the granola bar recipe this weekend. I’ve been making my own granola after being challenged into it by a friend who hasn’t cooked in years….. I’ve made mine similar to your recipe, but I’ve recently added grated/shredded coconut and have substituted almond oil for canola. Hubbie loves the deep nutty taste the almond oil gives to the granola…… Thanks for all your recipes!

57. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on January 21 2009 at 9:53 pm:

Erin: I like that almond oil idea! I’ve been using walnut oil recently.

58. Mary Sibenik says on January 30 2009 at 2:13 pm:

Does anyone know if Fage yogurt is available in Toronto, and if not, what a passable substitute might be? Enjoy your site very much. Cheers!

PS. I, too, shall be making my own granola for my middle kid (21) who is addicted to it in the wee hours of the night.

59. lauren says on March 05 2009 at 9:10 am:

Kristin,
    Thank you so much for this recipe! I absolutely love the granola from Milk & Honey, but can’t afford my habit. I have been trying to recreate the recipe to no avail. You have come very close…same texture, sea salt is right on, tastes great and best of all, I did not end up with a batch of gravel!
    I’m enjoying your blog, keep it up!

60. tiana says on March 14 2009 at 3:25 pm:

If I leave out an ingredient, like the maple syrup, do I need to compensate for the moisture or sweetness?

61. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 14 2009 at 4:55 pm:

tiana: I think you could (and should) use honey in place of the syrup. In other words, use 3 tablespoons of honey and omit the maple syrup.

62. ebc says on March 24 2009 at 9:24 am:

I am a granole fiend and have converted my best friend into making it our morning routine with some banana-vanilla yogurt.

I have never made my own, but this recipe has inspired me. One thing… is there anything I can do to make it chunky? I like big chunks rather than the loose oats. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    ec

63. Manuel Braverman says on March 27 2009 at 7:03 pm:

This is a good recipe!

ebc Make a litlle extra honey mix.
    mix the raisins and cranberries with some wheat germ
    then add the honey mix (warm) to the fruit, mix it to coat and add to the dry ingredients.
    The sticky honey will help form the clusters you want. The wheat germ will help absorb excess liquid so it doesnt feel so sticky on your hands

Another option is to just double the amount of liquids in the begining, after baking mix the fruit and let cool before you break it in nice size clusters

64. Andrea says on March 27 2009 at 10:20 pm:

This recipe looks wonderful. I am living in a rural community in China and I find it a real challenge to good, healthy breakfast foods. I’m wondering if you could help me with alternatives for the ingredients that I can’t find readily here:

Canola oil – I have access to sunflower seed, soy bean, olive, and peanut oils.

Maple syrup – Molasses or honey?

Vanilla extract – Any suggestions?

Also, how do you store your granola and how many days will it stay fresh and tasty?

Thanks in advance!

65. Manuel Braverman says on March 28 2009 at 1:11 pm:

Hi Andrea, sorry to intrude but I love this kind of challenge
    You can use peanut or sunflower oil….
    butter may be good -do the eat butter there?-
    I would mix honey with molasses
    I think if your nuts are tasty and nicely toasted vainilla y not important
    If you dare to test a moderate amount of Sesame Oil, may be interesting, but then again it could also ruin the whole batch. Another chinese twist could be to add some green tea, and how about some ginger, cristalized or fresh

66. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 28 2009 at 1:40 pm:

Hi Andrea: Good questions. For oil, I’d go with sunflower oil. And you’ll be fine using honey in place of maple syrup. I think molasses would be a little too strongly flavored. Vanilla is tough. If you happen to have bourbon or something similarly boozy, that could add a little something. I think you could get away with omitting it all together.

I actually like to store my granola in the fridge (or freezer, for future use). I think the flavors stay crisp and the textures hold. Absent that, just make sure to use a tightly sealed container in a relatively cool, dry place.

67. Manuel Braverman says on March 28 2009 at 4:31 pm:

Bourbon!!
    That would really work, would you go with Calvados?

68. Andrea says on March 28 2009 at 5:45 pm:

Thanks Manuel and Kristin.

I’m going to make some this afternoon and I’ll let you both know how it goes.

69. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 28 2009 at 6:26 pm:

Andrea: Please do! Good luck.

70. long island says on April 01 2009 at 6:49 pm:

There is a reason why this post is over a year old and people are still commenting.

I just made this granola. I wish you could smell through the internet. My house has a wonderful aroma but better yet the granola is fantastic!

I made two slight variation. I cut back a little on the honey and salt because I couldn’t find unsweetened coconut and non-salt sunflower seeds.

I found this recipe from a simple search of “homemade” granola. I was in search of granola recipes because 2 weeks ago I started to make homemade yogurt in my crock pot. Yes my crock pot. It was very a simple process and like the granola once you have had homemade yogurt there is no going back to store bought. We were going through so much yogurt I had to think of way to extend it. I intially thought about just buying good granola. However it just didn’t seem right to defile my yogurt with mass produced granola.

Between the homemade granola and yogurt I may end up dying from a very healthy heart attack but what a way to go!

Thank you for sharing!

71. Andrea says on April 01 2009 at 11:29 pm:

I used sunflower oil, I replaced the maple syrup with honey, I omitted the vanilla and flax seeds because they’re unavailable in my town in China, and I used raisins because they’re all I could find.

Even with the changes to the recipe this granola tastes delicious. The aroma from my tiny toaster oven brought my Korean and Chinese neighbours knocking on my door wanting to know what I was making.

Thanks again to both Kristin and Manuel for your suggestions. I’m excited to have a delicious new option for breakfast.

72. sarah says on April 12 2009 at 2:12 pm:

i’m on my way into the kitchen to make this a second time, pretty much just as the recipe is written! so delicious that the word delicious doesn’t do it justice. the only downside is that my constant munching on it leads my boyfriend to call me his little squirrel, but all i have to do is give him a handful and that quiets him right down. i’m going to try to give some of this batch away as gifts, but i’m not sure i’ll be able to part with it! thank you, and ps your granola bars came out spectacular too.

73. Mike says on April 14 2009 at 5:18 pm:

hello there, well it’s in the oven cooking at 375. Can’t wait to try it. I love granola, and I can only imagine what good-old-home-made granola tastes like. Gotta go check it. Peace-out!

74. Jessica says on April 21 2009 at 4:26 am:

thank you for this recipe. mine is in the oven now. i have a granola recipe that i’ve used for years but i don’t make it often because it ‘bakes’ at 180 for eight hours! that is way to long to have my oven tied up for! can’t wait to try this!

sorry for the poor typing…baby in my arms!

75. Vicky says on April 24 2009 at 12:58 pm:

Wish you cold smell my kitchen! I baked vegan scones, rye bread rolls and now YOUR GRANOLA. Can’t wait to taste it. I am going to try the bars too.

76. Kaela at Local Kitchen says on April 25 2009 at 6:24 am:

I’ve made two batches now and will have to make a third this weekend as my fiance’ can’t stop eating it – thanks for the great recipe!

I did substitute brown sugar for honey, and recently I’ve been experimenting with trying to get it to cluster more – if anyone has any good ‘clustering’ techniques, please share!

77. humblepen says on April 26 2009 at 3:04 pm:

Beautiful pictures.

78. Sophie says on May 12 2009 at 6:12 am:

A simple search for ‘homemade granola’ came up with this, and with so much wonderful feedback, I’m not going to search any more. This will be my first go at making granola, and I’m off to the healthfood shop right now with the list of ingredients. If you sniff the air later, you might just catch the aroma drifting across the Atlantic from Oxford!

79. Leora says on May 12 2009 at 9:29 pm:

Sophie, you’re smart! Just lower the temp and watch very closely….. imho.

80. Leora says on May 12 2009 at 9:33 pm:

I just want to add that I’m totally obsessed with this recipe and can’t stop making this stuff…. you were right to warn us, Kristin…

81. Josh says on May 16 2009 at 5:24 pm:

Just made it for the first time and it turned out great! This was the first time I’ve made homemade granola and I can’t wait to make it again. Thanks Kristin.

82. k* says on May 18 2009 at 12:36 pm:

Yum! making this in 3…2…1…

83. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on May 18 2009 at 2:01 pm:

Josh: Great to hear!

k*: Enjoy …

84. Jackie says on May 23 2009 at 10:41 am:

I’m making this again today. I had to double the batch because it is already a staple breakfast with us! I used walnut oil instead of canola oil and a mixed of whole steel cut oats and quick cook ones. I love this recipe because it is so versatile, and I can use whatever nuts or dried fruit I have on hand. I even tried using date sugar instead of brown sugar and that worked too! Thanks for a great recipe.

85. Robyn says on June 01 2009 at 4:33 am:

Wonderful recipes! Great site! Looking for some clustering ideas also. Anyone help there?

86. MM says on July 13 2009 at 11:11 am:

As for the clustering ideas…I read on another blog to form balls with your fist right before transferring to the pan to bake. Be sure when you spread it on the pan that you don’t break up too many clusters.

Kristin, I’m really excited to try this recipe! More excited to stay away from the box cereal aisle and the high price tag of granola.

87. mkin says on July 18 2009 at 6:58 am:

I just made this and it is delicious! I made it with coconut oil instead of canola. Please, everyone, do your own research on canola. It’s GMO and owned by Monsanto, that says enough!
    I’m after the clumping affect too. I thought I’d try toasting the dry ingredients first and then mix everything together and then put it all in the dehydrater?

88. Jenelle says on July 23 2009 at 11:51 am:

I did a search for homemade granola on Google and found a bunch of recipes but nothing looked as healthy or tasty as yours. I am trying to eat healthier (and get my husband to as well – not an easy task) but while being healthy and does not taste like card board. I read all of the replies about how everyone else wanted to try it and all those raving about it who had made it.

I have made this recipe and it is delicious! I added some nutmeg to mine but it was wonderful both ways! It smelled wonderful and was actually very simple to make and did not take very long. Thank you for posting this. I made a batch on Monday and four days later I am out and plan to make another one later. I love how it is easy to add or take away ingredients to adapt to anyone’s taste. I’m going to try using the splenda sugar free brown sugar as a gift to my grandmother who can have very little sugar do to kidney complications. I appreciate this recipe even more as my grandmother has a hard time finding things she can eat. I normally add some fresh fruit to my bowl of granola with milk, something like a banana. I did not have any canola oil so I used extra virgin olive oil and it turned out fine at the temperature and time that you suggested. This was also my first experience with pumpkin seeds and I am now an avid lover. I’m excited to get to make this recipe over and over again with different ingredients. Even my picky husband said it smelled great! Thank you to everyone else for sharing you variations I’m interested to see how the peach juice turns out. Again this is a wonderful dish! Thank you thank you for sharing!

89. jos says on July 26 2009 at 1:58 pm:

After paying way too much for someone else’s homemade granola I decided to try my hand at making my own. I googled many recipes but decided to try this one because of reviews like this. I love this recipe. It is so flexible and forgiving that I could tailor it to my own tastes (less salt, no coconut, fresh nutmeg, more nuts, less vanilla, more maple syrup) but it was still great. I also added the fruit to the last 4 minutes of baking and used raw nuts.It was all good. I will never purchase granola again. Thank you very much for sharing this.

90. delia says on August 06 2009 at 8:17 pm:

Hi, this recipe is fabulous. I omit coconut flakes and flax seeds as I don’t have, forgot about the vanilla but still comes out good especially with ice cream. thumbs up for this recipe! yay!

91. April says on August 09 2009 at 8:31 pm:

I love love love this recipe. I make a double batch every week for my husband. He likes to eat it every morning as a breakfast cereal. I omit the coconut and add any nuts I have on hand. Plus I add extra honey and omit the maple syrup. Thanks for posting this fabulous recipe!!!

92. Katelyn says on August 25 2009 at 2:52 pm:

Just made a batch – it smells wonderful but my oven kept burning the edges! I’d try it at a lower temperature first and then raise it if its not browning.

93. Elizabeth says on September 09 2009 at 12:48 pm:

I came across this thread by accident, looking for healthy breakfast recipes. I used to make my own years ago, and forgot how delicious it is. The recipe I used had malt extract as the sweetener, which gives a lovely colour and unique flavour… I am really inspired to try this granola recipe now!

94. Jennie says on September 09 2009 at 5:31 pm:

I came across this post in a search for homemade granola to go with my homemade yogurt! If you eat yogurt and can make the granola, you really should try making your own yogurt. It’s so easy! And it saves money and the environment – I buy organic milk from Costco, and no more plastic yogurt containers! This is the link to the recipe I’ve been using: http://travelingtastebuds.blogspot.com/2009/08/easy-homemade-yogurt.html

When she says “If you can boil pasta, you can make yogurt” she’s right! I make it at night and stick it in the fridge when I wake up in the morning.

Now, off to the store to buy ingredients for granola!! I’ll let you know how it turns out…

95. Staajabu says on September 09 2009 at 6:30 pm:

any idea what the calorie count is in one cup of this marvelous sounding recipe? (approx.)

96. Chastidyi says on September 10 2009 at 3:37 am:

Wow. I made a few changes to the recipe because there were some things I didn’t have in the pantry, but it still turned out great. I used chia seeds instead of flax/sesame. I used sorgham instead of maple syrup. I used olive oil instead of canola. Oh, and I didn’t have the coconut or the dried fruit. However, it turned out wonderful if a bit dry. I think next time I may use more honey… we harvest our own and it’s just so fresh and delicious that it adds something to every recipe I use it in… Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate you having this recipe on here. It was just what I needed.

97. Staajabu says on September 10 2009 at 4:31 am:

CALORIES PER CUP PLEASE

98. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 10 2009 at 8:30 am:

Staajabu: I don’t have calorie information. I think there are web sites that can calculate that information (i.e. you enter in the ingredients and the site spits out the calorie count). I haven’t tried any such sites myself, though.

99. brenda says on September 19 2009 at 7:26 pm:

This sounds like what I have been looking for. i cannot wait to try it. just one question-is it ok not to stir
    so it can be chunky enough to pick up as a snack finger-food style?
    BRENDA

100. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 20 2009 at 5:25 am:

brenda: That should work. You could also check out my granola bar recipe.

101. Britany says on September 22 2009 at 1:30 pm:

OH MY GOSH!! This is the 3rd batch I have made! I absolutely love this. Thanks so much =]]]]

102. Kristine Socall says on September 24 2009 at 1:01 pm:

I use coconut oil instead of all the other oils (it comes in solid form, so you need to melt it before you mix it with your other liquids). It has an amazing amount of health benefits. I also use soy nuts, which really add protein and decrease the fat content on the nuts; as well as cutting out all the salt. I usually use 1 part whole almonds, 1/2 part soy nuts, 1/2 part pumpkin seeds (all superfoods).

103. Kelsey says on October 09 2009 at 6:19 pm:

can you tell me how many cups it makes?

104. boston says on October 12 2009 at 11:20 am:

Hi! I just made this recipe today (mostly, I had to substitute some things). It’s fantastic, especially after sitting out for a while. It filled two large yogurt containers. And it was surprisingly easy. I don’t like the flax after-taste, so next time I’m going to grind the seeds in the coffee grinder. It’s funny that Denise commented that she is trying out recipe for christmas gifts – me too! I’m so glad I came across your website. I miss Chicago!

105. Tammie says on October 12 2009 at 7:36 pm:

CAN’T WAIT TO TRY LOOKS GREAT,but I must ask what is Fage thet was in an earlier post?

106. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 12 2009 at 7:44 pm:

Britany: I’m so glad to hear it!

Kristine: All your tweaks sound lovely!

Kelsey: I don’t know, off hand, but my guess would be 4 to 6 cups. It looks boston (# 104) has some insight here.

boston: Well, I’ll tell Chicago hi for you. What a great Christmas gift idea.

Tammie: Fage is a brand of Greek yogurt. I hope you give the recipe a shot!

107. Alex says on October 14 2009 at 1:21 pm:

best.granola.ever

108. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 17 2009 at 6:40 am:

Alex: Wonderful! I’m happy to hear you liked it.

109. crose says on October 28 2009 at 6:36 pm:

it was delicious before it even went into the oven!!!

110. Kathryn says on November 03 2009 at 3:23 pm:

I’m excited about making your granola recipe. I’ve started making my own whole milk yogurt again – so good – and nothing goes better with it than granola. I think this will be a very tasty cereal as it uses brown sugar and honey as well as maple syrup – and not too much of it. I’ve made others from time to time that call for just maple syrup and it breaks the bank! Off to the market . . . !
    Thanks for the shopping list and recipe.

111. Tim says on November 09 2009 at 2:03 pm:

It is yummy! I made two versions. 1 adult and the other kid friendly. Kid version: Didn’t have any nuts in the house so I added peanut butter to the boiled ingrdients, that way I could cut down on the liquid fat a bit and add a nut flavor. Adult version: Same as above but added some ground fennel seeds and ground coffee beans to the mix. Spiked wonderfulness!

112. Jennifer says on November 17 2009 at 10:46 pm:

Ok… so I was looking for a granola recipe to make as Christmas gifts for a bunch of family members this year and this came up in my search. I’m impressed that it’s been here since Jan. of 08 and people are still commenting on how good it is. I’m so excited to make this, I just hope it makes it into the jars and under the tree before my family gets a hold of it! Thanks so much!

113. Liz says on December 04 2009 at 6:08 pm:

I loved the recipe….BUT….it burned after the first 10 minute stirring interval. I checked on it again after only 5 minutes and it was mostly unsalvable. For some reason 375 seems way too high. I don’t know how some posters were able to do it. My oven is new and runs at perfect degrees….so I’ll try it again at a lower temp. Disappointing to waste ingredients.

114. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on December 04 2009 at 6:19 pm:

Liz — sorry to hear that. As you can see in the photos, it’s a more toasted (as opposed to a lighter) granola, but burned granola is surely disappointing. Not sure what the problem was. If you’re up for trying it again, I’d suggest reducing your oven temperature and keep a close eye on it/checking often.

115. Sarah K says on December 16 2009 at 9:11 am:

I love Milk and Honey granola, but it is so expensive. I really hope this one turns out just as tasty. I recently have been experimenting with agave syrup instead of sugar. Kristin (or anyone) do you know how agave would work in the this recipe. Usually you have to up the dry ingredients or decrease the wet ingredients, but there’s so much in here I am not really sure where to begin. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

116. Krystal says on December 21 2009 at 12:19 am:

My grandfather has diabetes, he can have sugar but not a whole lot. Can he still eat this? or do you have any suggestions to tailor it more towards him? Thanks so much!

117. Krystal says on December 21 2009 at 2:11 am:

also, I need this to be a little more cost effective for me (college student budget, sigh). will it matter much if I don’t use “pure vanilla extract” etc? how can i accommodate for the adjustments? thanks!

118. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on December 21 2009 at 8:43 pm:

Krystal: I don’t have experience cooking or baking for diabetics, so I can’t really help you here. As for your cost-effective question, I recommend seeking out a store with a great bulk foods department. That can really help with this recipe. And you can, of course, use imitation vanilla if that’s what you have on hand.

119. Cody says on January 14 2010 at 5:19 pm:

There is no cereal here in western China (the locals eat noodles for breakfast). We had to make many, many substitutions but after shelling the nuts, removing the husks from the sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and removing the stones from the apricots and dates, the result was wonderful! Thanks for making a touch of home possible. btw…Chinese brandy makes a dandy substitute for vanilla.

120. Dawn says on January 24 2010 at 8:52 am:

This is my new obsession! Thank you for sharing! I have a thing with not measuring out ingredients so I took your basic ingredient recipe and just edited a bit:

- I did measure out the rolled oats & half cup coconut flakes.
    - 3 Tbsp GROUND flax seeds
    - Omitted sesame seeds because I had none.
    - Nuts: pecans and slivered almonds
    - Omitted the oil completely and used unsweetened applesauce and a splash of OJ!
    - Kept in the honey, vanilla and syrup but also added a little bit of molasses.
    - Added in ground cardamom, ground nutmeg.
    - I baked at 375 but turned every 10 minutes. This is a must for my oven!

This granola turned out a little more chewy than normal, so I added in more rolled oats at the end. Also, it’s so important to completely dry/cool it off!

I have made this weekly & everyone at work stops by with small cups and plates asking for some. I also gave batches away to everyone at Christmas and they are emailing me asking for more! HA!

121. Dawn says on January 24 2010 at 8:53 am:

*addendum* Oops I also added in dried blueberries and dried cranberries after it cooled as well as dark chocolate chips. :)

122. janine says on February 27 2010 at 3:41 pm:

I made this exactly as written and I really love it. The only problem I had is after 20 min it was slightly overcooked and so next time I will decrease the oven temperature. The other thing I would change is to decrease the salt to half a teaspoon. This is definitely going to be my standard recipe from now on. I like the proportions and the sweetness. It is just right.

123. janine says on February 27 2010 at 3:43 pm:

This is a great recipe. The only thing I found is it was slightly overcooked after only 20 min. So next time I will decrease the oven temp and watch it closely. I thought the proportions and sweetness was perfect! We have company right now and they love it as much as I do.

124. Susan says on March 22 2010 at 10:33 am:

How bad will it be if I already mixed up the fruit with the oats and nuts? I guess I got a little too ahead of myself….

125. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 22 2010 at 11:40 am:

Susan: I think you’ll be fine. My guess is that there are texture and moisture reasons for adding the dried fruit after baking granola. Let us know how it turns out.

126. ashley says on April 05 2010 at 2:11 pm:

long island, how do you make yogurt out of the crock pot?!

i love this recipe. i’m making my second batch.

127. mycookinghut says on May 08 2010 at 2:24 pm:

Fantastic looking homemade granola… well done!

128. Anne Marie says on June 10 2010 at 4:38 am:

Does anyone know the approximate calorie count for 1 cup of homemade granola?

129. Marian says on July 19 2010 at 1:24 pm:

I made a quarter batch this morning using pumpkin seeds, pecans, safflower oil and dried blueberries. This quarter recipe yielded a scant 2 cups of granola. Then I added up the calories of the individual ingredients and divided by the yield. The result I get is 469 calories per cup. (I had to use the calorie count for raisins, though. I couldn’t find calorie info for dried blueberries.)

130. Miss Tracy says on July 26 2010 at 9:44 pm:

Strolling the net this evening looking for a homemade granola recipe…most looked boring until I came across yours! It is apparently a must try recipe! I have most of the ingredients in the pantry (might have to improvise on a few, but next time I make it to town, I will get the listed ingredients). I have some blueberry flakes, I think I may add those to this batch as well! Thank you for sharing :)

131. Corgi Mom says on August 01 2010 at 8:14 am:

My daughter and I made this yesterday (used safflower oil instead of canola (already had it) and used pecans for the nuts (made the mistake of toasting the pecans beforehand – won’t do that again, left out the coconut and seeds, used raisins and unsweetened dried cranberries) and this recipe was YUMMY (calories and all)! We were mainly looking for a customizable alternative to storebought granola cereal, and this hit the mark – go on, guess what I had for breakfast today! My daughter had several bowls for dinner last night (she’s a vegetarian). I came across Alton Brown’s recipe for granola this morning, and there’s a batch in the oven right now, so we’re looking forward to a side by side comparison -what a tough job! Thank you for this recipe!

132. Corgi Mom says on August 01 2010 at 8:21 pm:

OK, so my daughter and I tried both recipes. We ‘re a hung jury of sorts. While both recipes had slightly different tastes, they were both delicious and pretty much a toss up. The Alton Brown recipe stated a lower cooking temp for a longer time period (250 for 75 minutes, stirring every 15), didn’t call for honey or vanilla extract, and IMO, the flavor didn’t suffer. All in all, my daughter and I found 2 great granola recipes that are sure to get used over and over, and eventually handed down…thanks again for the great recipe!

133. tracy says on August 04 2010 at 7:07 pm:

I’m must try this recipe again. Just finished up with my first batch and I’m not sure what I did wrong or if there is something awry with my oven, but it didn’t turn out well at all :( I am BUMMED! With all the great reviews, this has to be an amazing recipe…I will try again!

134. Amy says on August 05 2010 at 8:26 am:

Absolutely fabulous recipe. Made it to take on vacation with us and I will not be making it regularly to have on hand for breakfast! No more store bought granola for us!

135. Amy says on August 05 2010 at 8:26 am:

I said will ‘not’ but I meant I will ‘now’ be making in regularly!

136. Lynnette says on August 18 2010 at 6:57 am:

Made this last night and am enjoying it for breakfast. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

137. Joni says on August 23 2010 at 11:30 am:

I am going to try this recipe right away. I want to find a way to can it for my food storage. Do you know anything about canning dry stuff like this. I am in the process of looking for instruction. Will let you know how it turns out.
    Joni

138. Lisa says on August 31 2010 at 5:43 am:

This is Wonderful!! Joni I freeze mine after I am done making it. I just get out what I want and then put it back in the freezer. It works well. I put it on salad, yogurt, ice cream or just in a bowl with milk. It is great any way you want to eat it.

139. Beth says on September 06 2010 at 8:00 am:

Ohhh wow. I’ve never made granola before and chose this recipe for my first attempt. And . . . wow. So so so good. Thank you for posting it!

140. Pumpkin Granola « local kitchen says on December 02 2010 at 4:14 pm:

[...] I made my very first batch of homemade granola last year, based on Kristin’s recipe at The Kitchen Sink, I’ve never gone back. I’m not the biggest granola fan, but Tai [...]

141. Sara says on December 13 2010 at 3:23 pm:

Hi,

I may have missed it, but I want to make this and put it in gift jars for the holidays. How much does this recipe make? I was thinking of using pint sized jars and am not sure how much of the ingredients to purchase.

Thanks! Looks wonderful and so excited to try it!

142. Ida says on January 19 2011 at 3:41 am:

Hiya… I have had great success replacing oil with egg whites in my granola. Crunchy and low fat too.

143. audree says on January 29 2011 at 11:27 pm:

This recipe is almost exactly like the one i am concocting!!! we both have good taste!!! :) i love the idea of giving it as gifts in a jar! Thanks! i can hardly wait to get home from church tomorrow to make this!!! Thanks, again!

144. Faye says on February 28 2011 at 10:10 pm:

This is my 1st time making homemade granola and its smells amazing! I did not change any ingredients and it looks as great as your pictures. Thank you for posting this recipe! I needed a healthy replacement to the junk I have been eating!

145. Mindy says on September 02 2011 at 11:40 am:

Oh this looks fab! I am going to try this out this weekend. I think after reading all the posts I am going to cook at cooler temp to avoid the burning. I normally do not keep any of this in my pantry soooo I will have to buy it all.

Thanks!!!

146. Autumn says on October 03 2011 at 11:04 am:

I just made this and it was amazing! I am so excited about it and it goes so well with my greek yogurt addiction. My whole building smells incredible – I’m expecting the neighbors to knock on my door any minute to find out what I have going in the oven. I used 1/2 cinnamon 1/2 pumpkin pie spice to make it extra savory. I used crasins since they were on sale that were cherry and blueberry infused and a raisin mix. I think it’s a hit!

147. Teri G. says on November 28 2011 at 5:07 pm:

I plan to make this granola and package it in a fun way to give as gifts this Christmas. I always do something homemade to give to our immediate family, this recipe looks fantastic, I’m really excited to try it. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays.

148. Hannah says on January 02 2012 at 11:30 am:

Yum! Have always wanted to make granola and I decided that today was the day. It is so good! I will use coconut oil next time. I also cooked it at 350 for the first 10, then cranked it up to 375 for 15 more. Perfect for my oven. I will NEVER buy granola again! Thank you for a wonderful recipe. Pinned.

149. terry says on January 13 2012 at 10:59 am:

This is the 3rd time i have made this, now friends are asking me to make them some..this is a great gift. Thank-you!!

150. Jennifer Jehle says on January 14 2012 at 3:38 pm:

Btw, using flax seeds whole have no nutritional benefit. They go through the digestive system undigested. The only way the can be beneficial is if they are ground so the oils can be released. You can google it yourself but here’s some info:

Sorry if this is a repeat to a previous post. I didn’t read all 150 posts to see if someone let you know this :) But for nutritional purposes you may want to amend your recipe.

Sure am looking forward to making this granola! My kids and DH love granola (and I love how it makes my house smell SO good!) I may have to come back and post my results! Thank you!

151. Jennifer Jehle says on January 16 2012 at 5:07 am:

Somehow I must have messed this up. I used salted sunflower seeds and pistachios. My kids said that the granola is too “salty”. I guess I’ll know for next time but wonder what I should do now with a double batch of granola that my family isn’t too keen on…..

152. Rebekah says on January 20 2012 at 3:26 pm:

I know you posted this recipe a few years back, but I have to say I adore it! I just had a baby and made a bunch of jars ahead of time to give away as thank you’s to people who gave us food and every single person has come back asking for the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

153. gina says on February 11 2012 at 10:41 am:

Very, very good! Like a lot your commentors, I used the basic recipe and substituted what I have on hand. I used dehulled hemp seeds instead of flax, and I had a blood orange olive oil around (I have no idea why) and it made it taste great! I omitted the brown sugar and used a mixture of agave and honey. I am a huge coconut fan and I love the raw, unsweetened chips in it. I can’t wait to try the bars!

154. Jo Hill says on February 28 2012 at 12:51 am:

Amazing, i’ve tried a few and been disappointed, this one stands above them all. Even my 3 and 5 year olds ate this off the tray. Thanx 4 sharing!!!! awesome.

155. West Coast Believer says on March 18 2012 at 2:20 pm:

Thank you for this recipe. This is the first time I made granola and I’m sold on homemade. The only thing I did differently is that I used coconut oil and I added a little almond extract. My coconut is shredded so you can’t even tell it’s in the granola. Thanks again!

156. doris says on April 30 2012 at 1:46 pm:

what kind of oatmeal would be the best to use?

157. Frugal favor: Homemade granola | | MarryThis! says on May 15 2012 at 5:03 am:

[...] this delish granola recipe from The Kitchen Sink. Granola is sort of like a cookie where you can add whatever you want and it never turns out badly, [...]

158. Verna says on February 28 2013 at 4:17 pm:

I made my own shredded coconut. Do I need to dry it before using it in the recipe?

159. allison1998 says on July 04 2013 at 7:23 pm:

Found your website through Pinterest. I made this granola tonight (my first time making homemade granola). I substituted canola oil for grapeseed oil and did not use the flax or sesame seeds because I didnt have any on hand. Those were my only changes.

My house smelled wonderful while it was cooking!

I thought that I had burnt the granola, but now I see that it looks like the last pic. It tastes great.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I am hooked on making my own granola now!

160. Rose says on July 27 2013 at 1:51 pm:

Kristin, I first made granola years ago and haven’t made it since I graduated from college, gosh 40 years ago now. Now thanks to our middle daughter and the daughter of family friends, we are concentrating on getting back to making as much as we can from scratch. I started making yogurt this spring and now instead of buying granola to top it with (although I was buying all natural, local made granola at the farmer’s market) I’m going to make my own. Using your recipe for my first batch. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

161. [...] source. [...]