We Eat Our Vegetables, I Swear

January 08 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Recipe,Side » 7 comments

slaw3.jpeg

From the looks of this site’s Recipe Index (to which I just made some user-friendly improvements), you might think that our diets are bereft of vegetables. In reality, vegetables are the most abundant component of our diets. So much so that it’s worth it for us to go to a separate produce market every week, in addition to our other grocery store (okay, fine, grocery stores; I get a little out of hand when it comes to grocery shopping). It’s just that the veggie dishes don’t always make it the blog.

slaw1.jpeg

After being in a braise-y, roast-y mood last week, this week I’m feeling the urge to make brighter, more acidic dishes. And veggies. Lots of them. If fact, it was a record-setting week for us at Stanley’s, our aforementioned produce market.

slaw2.jpeg

So, I thought I’d better share a veggie focused recipe with you—lest you think we eat chocolate tarts and cinnamon rolls day in and day out. Moreover, this cole slaw—which features a vinegar-based (i.e. mayo-free) dressing—also satisfied my craving for bright (cilantro, scallions), acidic (both from the rice wine vinegar and lime juice) flavors. Bonus points for the vibrant colors (thanks to a mix of cabbages and both black and white sesame seeds) and the intense kick of heat (imparted by a hefty pinch of crushed chiles). This cole slaw was perfect paired with Sunday night’s crab cakes. And, because this recipe makes a lot, it was wonderful for lunch yesterday. I might even have some for dessert tonight! See—I told you I like vegetables.

slaw4.jpeg

(Click “more” for the recipe)

Spicy Asian Slaw

1/2 head of red cabbage, core removed
1/2 head of green cabbage, core removed
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal (divided)
1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced + several whole sprigs for garnish, if desired

.Slice cabbage into thin strands. Wash and dry the cabbage; set aside.

In the bottom of a (very) large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Place the prepared cabbage, all but 1 tablespoon of the green onions, and the cilantro on top of the vinegar mixture. Toss to fully incorporate.

Before serving, top the slaw with the sesame seeds, reserved green onions and sprigs of cilantro.

1. tara says on January 09 2008 at 7:20 am:

Simply gorgeous stuff; I have to say, most of my favorite crunchy salads are those with an Asian twist. I am sure anyone would love to eat their veggies when served up this!

2. ourkitchensink says on January 09 2008 at 5:10 pm:

Tara: Thank you! I love Asian flavors, but I don’t often use them in salads. I think this slaw has convinced me to do so.

3. Gretchen Noelle says on January 09 2008 at 5:36 pm:

First off, I feel the same way about my recipe index…the desserts make up 50% of the list! Also, this slaw looks similar to one I make. I am sure this was delicious!

4. JEP says on January 09 2008 at 6:44 pm:

This is one beautiful lookin’ slaw! Red cabbage is a favorite of mine, too!

5. Gracie says on August 31 2008 at 6:38 pm:

Can you tell me how many servings this makes? We made this tonight for a family of 6. 5 of us LOVED it. We doubled the recipe, still have plenty left, but would like to get a better idea of the portion size. I’m a Weight Watchers leader, and count my points.

This recipe is so good! And knowing that the cabbage came from someone’s garden (unfortunately not ours) is a plus!

Thanks!

G

6. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 07 2008 at 12:29 pm:

Gracie: It’s been a while since I made this, but I think this would safely serve 6 (and probably have some leftovers). Glad you liked it!

7. surgeon says on April 24 2009 at 2:52 am:

I adore asian slaw, and I make it practically weekly. I try to eat a diet high in raw foods, and this salad is a staple! I make it a little differently, but with a similar flavor.

My recipe:
    red cabbage
    grated beets (golden and red if I have them)
    raw grated sweet potato (sometimes)
    grated carrots
    kale, mustard greens, or whatever I have lying around, finely chopped
    scallions
    red onion
    black sesame seeds
    sesame oil (or raw coconut oil if I’m being purist)
    mustard
    sriracha (or cayenne pepper and garlic for the fully raw variety)
    ginger
    a touch of raw agave nectar
    pressed ginger
    braggs (or soy sauce)
    rice vinegar
    balsamic vinegar
    nutritional yeast
    raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or walnuts
    raisins

I have also been known to throw whatever I have that needs to be used into this slaw, including raw fennel, fresh dill, jicama, celery, bok choy, green cabbage…you name it, I’ve added it. It always turns out great. I top it with sprouts, and go heavy on the seeds for added protein, and it’s a raw meal. I often make nori wraps with this salad as a base and add avocado, sprouts, and spinach. It’s a super healthy, cleansing, meal.

This recipe can handle a lot of variation and still be lovely. I add or subtract depending on what I have on hand. The only time I haven’t loved it was when I had only green cabbage and no red cabbage or beets. The flavor was lacking without the purple vegetables.