Day Late, Dollar Short

February 08 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 18 comments

pancakes5.jpeg

Folks, I dropped the ball. I missed the memo. My ship has sailed. Apparently, Tuesday was National Pancake Day. Who knew? Well, clearly, I did not know. Because I had these photos of the pancakes we made last weekend stored up in the to-blog-about-soon queue. Had I only known, I would’ve posted on this recipe on Sunday or Monday, so you could make these pancakes for the NPD celebrations that surely ensued in homes across America on Tuesday. Or, at the very least, I would’ve posted them on Tuesday, in honor of the hallowed holiday.

pancakes4.jpeg

But, alas, I was in the dark. And these pancakes languished on my hard drive. And, sadly, National Pancake Day has come and gone. But, come on, isn’t every day—or, more accurately, every weekend day—national pancake day? In my book, it is.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

pancakes6.jpeg

And, once you try these pancakes, I think you’ll agree. While they might look like the traditional buttermilk disks that you typically douse with maple syrup, these are different. And, I think, much better. They’re moist (even without a deluge of syrup) and hearty (so they won’t disintegrate when you inevitably do drown them in syrup). And they have an earthy, nutty and ever-so-slightly tangy flavor.

pancakes1.jpeg

With many of the pancakes I see on brunch menus descending into overly-sweet and ornate creations (like the pancake “orgy” at one of my favorite breakfast places), these are a welcome return to the homey. And they were incredibly satisfying and filling. We had a lunch all lined up, but neither of us were hungry for hours. I hope they keep you satisfied too the next time you’re celebrating an unofficial national pancake day.

pancakes3.jpeg

1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

Accompaniment: sliced bananas

Soak oats in 3/4 cup buttermilk 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.

Stir egg, butter, brown sugar, remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, and oat mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.

Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with oil. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden-brown, about 1 minute. Flip with a spatula and cook other side, about 1 minute more. (Lightly oil griddle between batches.)

1. amanda says on February 08 2008 at 9:19 am:

I whipped up some pancakes too last weekend, and didn’t even now about National Pancake Day, so my post was a day late also. Your plate of pancakes looks really hearty and filling. Mine were like a sugarholics dream :) I will definitely give yours a try as these look like yummy every day treats, not dessert lie ones I’m prone to make.

2. Patricia Scarpin says on February 08 2008 at 10:15 am:

Never mind the deadline – these are great anytime!

3. a. grace says on February 08 2008 at 2:50 pm:

what’s a pancake without that inevitable deluge of syrup?
    disappointing, that’s what it is.

4. JEP says on February 08 2008 at 7:26 pm:

I like the sounds of all these healthy ingredients!

5. made healthier says on February 09 2008 at 9:42 pm:

Looks good…and it’s great that they stay moist! ;)

6. ourkitchensink says on February 10 2008 at 9:51 am:

Amanda: I saw yours — they looked delicious!

Patricia: Agreed!

A. Grace: I second that!

JEP: Such a hearty, wholesome breakfast.

Made Healthier: Thanks!

7. Snwobug says on February 12 2008 at 11:27 am:

Entire family loved these. Hearty, not too dense. Very little syrup needed. Note that I didn’t say “used”. Just “needed”. We used LOTS of syrup!

Thanks.

8. ourkitchensink says on February 13 2008 at 8:26 am:

Snwobug: Oh good! Thanks for reporting back. And, as far as I’m concerned, keep the maple syrup a-pourin …

9. Andrea says on February 14 2008 at 9:50 pm:

i whipped up some of these this morning for valentines breakfast. my boy doesn’t like bananas so I topped them with lemon curd and strawberries. delicious!

10. April in CT says on March 30 2008 at 7:44 am:

We’ve made these twice now and they are officially our new favorite pancake recipe! I’m thrilled to find a whole wheat recipe that doesn’t turn out dry and crumbly. These will definitely be an every weekend breakfast for us and me and my husband thank you for posting it. :)

11. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 31 2008 at 2:21 pm:

Andrea: Lemon curd?!? Brilliant!

April: I’m so glad you like them! Thanks for reporting back.

12. Daisy says on April 05 2008 at 11:13 pm:

I made these for dinner tonight from a friend suggestion. OMG they were sooooo good….perfect.
    You have to try these…now i have a 5lb bag of whole wheat flour, I’ll be cooking these again for sure.

13. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 07 2008 at 7:55 pm:

Daisy: I love breakfast for dinner! And check out the recipe index on this site for lots of ideas for that 5 pounds of whole wheat flour. I go through my supply at an alarming rate.

14. Christine says on June 03 2008 at 9:44 am:

There is a national pancake day?

15. christine says on June 20 2008 at 3:50 pm:

These were delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

16. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 21 2008 at 11:15 am:

christine: I’m so glad you liked them! Thanks for reporting back.

17. April in CT says on July 21 2008 at 2:12 pm:

Just thought I’d let you know we’re still enjoying these and I pass the recipe on to everyone! We had family visiting for two weeks and I made these a LOT. We picked some blueberries on a hike and made blueberry pancakes with this recipe and they were divine. Most times I’ll mix the buttermilk/oat mixture and the dry ingredients (separately) and pop them into the fridge the night before. It makes an already easy recipe pretty mindless when I have groggy morning brain. :)

18. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 22 2008 at 4:57 am:

April: That’s great to hear! And you’re reminding me I need to make this recipe again soon. Fresh-picked blueberries sound like a delicious (and fun! I love berry picking) addition.