A Valentine’s Eve Love Story

February 13 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 16 comments

img_2491.jpg

After my first experience with my new springform pan, you probably couldn’t have blamed me for hiding it in the far reaches of my cupboard. Or, heck, throwing it away, figuring that it was cursed. Instead of stashing or trashing the pan, I had the audacity to start looking for cheesecake recipes. I figured it was a much more apt use for a cheesecake pan. And this pan deserved redemption.

img_2499.jpg

This is not merely a redemption story, though. It’s also a love story. You see, I’ve fallen head over heels for the star ingredient in this cheesecake. That’s right, I am truly enamored with the meyer lemon. When meyer lemon season rolled around this winter, I had my eyes peeled (get it?!?) for them in the stores. But several weekends in a row, I found only an empty bin. Then, last week, I hit pay dirt. I found a gleaming pile of these golden beauties, ready for me to zest, juice and all around use and abuse:

cheesecake5.jpg

cheesecake1.jpg

cheesecake3.jpg

cheesecake2.jpg

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

I was able to merge my desire to (a) redeem the springform pan and (b) give my meyer lemons a test run in this cheesecake, which was swirled with lemon (meyer lemon, duh) curd. Yes, swirled. And, trust me, said swirling is every bit as fun as it sounds. Take a gander:

cheesecake6.jpg

cheesecake10.jpg

cheesecake8.jpg

cheesecake9.jpg

Post-swirl and pre-bake, this cheesecake was absolutely gorgeous: ivory creaminess, marbled with a bright, sunny yellow. When it baked, however, it puffed up a lot and resulted in a cracked and fissured cake. But, it was still very pretty, just in a more rustic way. Nonetheless, I prefer to recall the silky smooth pre-bake version:

cheesecake11.jpg

About the recipes: I initially found a Cooking Light recipe that looked promising. But, because I wasn’t taking any chances with a crust in this potentially-cursed pan, I decided to upgrade to a Gourmet crust recipe. But, I stuck with the Cooking Light filling. A good compromise, I think.

cheesecake13.jpg

This time around with the springform pan was so much better than last time. The crust did not fall or crack. The filling did not leak out. And, more than just not being disastrous, this cheesecake was unbelievably delicious. It was luscious and decadent. But, just decadent enough. Because when a bite was teetering on over-the-top-richness, you would get a taste of the bring, tangy meyer lemon that lightened the bite and cut through the richness. Quite simply: perfection.

cheesecake14.jpg

Graham Cracker Crust
Adapted from Gourmet

1 1/3 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (5 oz)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Invert bottom of springform pan (to make it easier to slide cake off bottom), then lock on side. 3Stir together crust ingredients in a bowl, then press onto bottom and 1 inch up side of springform pan. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan and bake 10 minutes, then cool crust completely in springform pan on a rack.

Lemon Swirled Cheesecake
Cooking Light

Filling:
3 (8-ounce) blocks fat-free cream cheese, softened
2 (8-ounce) blocks 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind*
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
1 cup lemon curd (recipe follows)

To prepare the filling, beat cheeses at high speed of a mixer until smooth. Add 1 3/4 cups sugar and the next 4 ingredients (1 3/4 cups sugar through salt); beat well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Pour the cheese mixture into prepared pan. Spoon mounds of Lemon Curd over filling, and swirl together using the tip of a knife. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cheesecake is almost set. Remove cheesecake from oven, and cool to room temperature. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.

Lemon Curd
Cooking Light

3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind*
2 large eggs
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)**
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is light in color (about 3 minutes). Stir in lemon juice and butter; cook for 5 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cool. Cover and chill (the mixture will thicken as it cools).

* I used meyer lemon zest for both the curd and filling.
** I also used meyer lemons for the juice in the curd. Because meyer lemons tend to be smaller than regular lemons, you’ll probably need four or five, rather than the three called for in the recipe.

1. a. grace says on February 13 2008 at 6:50 am:

i don’t care for lemon or cheesecake, but by jiminy, that’s a beautiful creation!

2. Gena says on February 13 2008 at 7:28 am:

I was honored with two ginormous slices of this beauty. I ate them both, standing up, right out of the tupperware. It’s AMAZING!!!!!! It is hands down the best dessert i have ever had!

3. RecipeGirl says on February 13 2008 at 8:18 am:

Oh, I DO love lemon cheescake and this looks WONDERFUL!! Love the swirling pics :) I will definitely be making this one!!

4. Deborah says on February 13 2008 at 10:48 am:

I love lemon, and this sounds wonderful! I made a lemon cheesecake a little while back, and I fell in love with the lemon cheesecake!

5. Shelby says on February 13 2008 at 3:30 pm:

I make this cheesecake every spring and it is always a big hit. The Cooking Light crust is pretty good also….you should give it a try! Its more like a shortbread crust.

6. Kelly says on February 13 2008 at 4:26 pm:

this looks ridiculous. i’m literally drooling over my keyboard as i type. amazing.

7. brilynn says on February 13 2008 at 4:31 pm:

Gorgeous cheesecake!
    I still haven’t found any meyer lemons to try, I will have to make it my mission.

8. JEP says on February 13 2008 at 7:55 pm:

Just beautiful!!

9. Gretchen Noelle says on February 14 2008 at 7:16 am:

I bet lemon curd with cheesecake was decadent! Thanks for sharing the idea!

10. Lemon Swirled Cheesecake » Go Web Young Man says on February 14 2008 at 9:38 am:

[...] I’ll be making one myself sometime. Beautiful pictures complete with the recipe make this Lemon Swirled Cheesecake recipe a link worth saving. desert Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. « Five [...]

11. ourkitchensink says on February 14 2008 at 10:39 am:

A. Grace: This might not be the dessert for you, then!

Gena: So glad you liked it! With comments like that, I’ll be sure to make you a winner of the Leftovers Sweepstakes more often …

RecipeGirl: Thanks!

Deborah: I remember your cheesecake! It looked delicious.

Shelby: Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a try.

Kelly: Thank you!

Brilynn: I feel your pain. Good luck!

JEP: Thanks!

Gretchen: Sure! And, actually, it’s not too awfully decadent. The lemon really brightens and lightens it up.

Michael: Thanks for linking!

12. Kevin says on February 14 2008 at 9:18 pm:

That cheese cake looks amazing! Great photos.

13. susan says on April 17 2008 at 1:58 pm:

oh this does look super de duper delicious. i lovee lemons, cant get enough of them and love to make fresh zest to put in recipes. BUT if i feel the need to make this and its not meyer lemon season, would it still taste super yummy with regular lemons???

14. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 18 2008 at 8:58 am:

Susan: Thanks! I think this would be absolutely great with regular, old lemons. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

15. lisa (dandysugar) says on January 19 2009 at 8:31 pm:

Did you say meyer lemon cheesecake? It looks absolutely amazing. I want to sink my teeth right into a bite.

16. Cheesecake Recipe says on June 06 2009 at 10:50 pm:

That looks amazing, I’m going to bake it tomorrow!