Sesame-Crusted Tuna with Ponzu Sauce

March 12 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Fish,Recipe » 16 comments

tuna5.jpeg

Today’s recipe is the kind of recipe that probably has Rachael Ray shaking in her boots. This recipe will see her 30 minutes, and raise it with its 10 minutes (max) results. Seriously, if you want to serve this with rice or steamed vegetables, I suggest you get a jump on those dishes, because this sesame-ensconced tuna will be done before you can say ohmygodthisisdelicious.

tuna4.jpeg

tuna3.jpeg

And, that’s what you’ll be saying. Trust me. It’s a recipe that is not only fast, but it’ll turned heads too, with its chic sheath of black-and-white sesame seeds. And, because looks are of course never enough, I can assure you that the recipe is as delectable as it is quick.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

tuna21.jpeg

It showcases the meaty, clean flavors of a good piece of tuna. And the sauce that you will drizzle across the barely-grilled steaks will highlight that flavor and offer brightness and tang. It’s the kind of recipe that belongs securely in your everyday repertoire.

Sesame-Crusted Tuna with Wasabi-Ponzu Sauce
Cooking Light

1 tablespoon chopped green onions
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
1 1/4 teaspoons prepared wasabi paste*
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
Sliced green onions (optional)

Combine first 10 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tuna with salt. Combine sesame seeds in a shallow dish. Dredge tuna in sesame seeds. Add tuna to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Serve tuna with sauce.

* I couldn’t find wasabi paste, so I used an ample amount of red pepper flakes to jack up the heat in its place.

1. Emily says on March 12 2008 at 8:24 am:

OMG. This looks delish! (Rachel Ray, who?) But really, this looks amazing and wonderfully fresh. Perfect for our sudden spring temperatures!

2. tastememory girl says on March 12 2008 at 9:21 am:

i can eat seared ahi any day – your sauce looks gorgeous….luv luv ponzu sauce

3. cakewardrobe says on March 12 2008 at 10:49 am:

Perfection! I can just feel the various sesame seeds slipping into my gums and in between my teeth but not worrying about them because the soft, perfectly seared tuna picks them up and blends in for a wonderful balance of flavors and textures! YUM YUM!

4. Terry B says on March 12 2008 at 11:07 am:

Just beautiful! Great photos and fabulously prepared food. With good quality fish, cooking it on the rare side can be absolutely delicious. I recently made an herb-crusted Hawaiian yellowtail that was almost sushilike. Regarding wasabi paste, you can sometimes buy wasabi powder and just mix it with water to make your own paste.

5. Jessie Cacciola says on March 12 2008 at 11:35 am:

What a great recipe! I’d love to feature it on my art/food/lifestyle blog if you don’t mind.
    - Jessie -

6. Indigo says on March 12 2008 at 1:28 pm:

This is so beautiful! And we actually have some tuna steaks in – sounds like a plan! ^__^

7. Rasa Malaysia says on March 12 2008 at 4:39 pm:

What a beautiful dish. I love sesame-crusted anything and yeah, ponzu sauce, too! :0)

8. brilynn says on March 12 2008 at 7:07 pm:

Oooh that looks perfectly done, and so tasty!

9. Kevin says on March 12 2008 at 8:01 pm:

That looks so good!! Bookmarked to try!

10. ourkitchensink says on March 13 2008 at 8:13 am:

Emily: This definitely has spring/summer written all over it. But, then, I’ve been defying the season all week with my cooking. Loving these 40+ degree days though …

TasteMemory Girl/Cake Wardrobe: Thank you!

Terry B: Thanks for the wasabi tip. I did see multiple jars of the powder at my store; I’ll give it a try next time.

Jessie: Thanks! Feel free to feature the recipe (which is not mine; it’s Cooking Light) and/or photos, but please credit.

Indigo: I hope you try it! Let us know how it goes.

Rasa Malaysia and Brilynn: Thanks!

11. cakebrain says on March 13 2008 at 11:09 pm:

I wish I could make a tuna steak like that! I love tuna sashimi and your sesame crusted tuna steak is positively so perfectly prepared! It’s done the way I like it! I always goof up and overcook it :(

12. Hillary says on March 14 2008 at 2:15 pm:

Where do you buy your tuna? That looks soooo good!

13. DD says on October 08 2008 at 3:04 pm:

I made this a few weeks ago and it was amazing! The only change I made was to omit the orange juice from the ponzu sauce. I served it with some wasabi mashed potatoes — yum!

14. Susie says on March 04 2009 at 5:01 pm:

This recipe is perfect with exception to the oil. Use Sesame Oil HUGE difference. Delicious!

15. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 05 2009 at 6:36 am:

Susie: Good idea. And thanks for the reminder that I should make this again soon!

16. stevie says on April 29 2013 at 8:29 pm:

I made this two nights ago and the sauce was amazing! I always love a sedans crusted tuna, but the sauce really puts this one over the edge, delish!