Dessert Parade

March 25 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 15 comments

cheesecakesq8.jpg

I suppose I should have warned you. The fact that these cheesecake squares are coming a mere 24 hours after yesterday’s oreos is only the beginning. It’s going to be a very decadent week here at The Kitchen Sink. There will be one dessert post after another marching across the week. But I swear, I’ve had good reason. Actually, good reasons. Last week, between dinner guests, a couple birthday celebrations and a houseful of guests at my parents’ over the Easter weekend, I had plenty of reasons to lavish people with desserts.

cheesecakesq.jpg

cheesecakesq2.jpg

cheesecakesq3.jpg

cheesecakesq4.jpg

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

cheesecakesq5.jpg

cheesecakesq6.jpg

But after all this I-swear-I-had-a-good-reason-ing, I have to go and blow my cover with these cheesecake bars (yes, bars). That’s right, there was no birthday, no holiday, no excuse to make these bars last Tuesday night. To make matters worse, we feasted on these bars while we were watching The Biggest Loser during last week’s Family Dinner. Shameful, we know.

cheesecakesq7.jpg

But if you think I regret it, you’re wrong. Because these cheesecake bars just might be the perfect bite: first, your teeth break through the crisp shell of dark chocolate swirled across the top of the bars. Then, the bite picks up speed as you descend into the much-more-yielding, rich layer of tart creaminess. The bite then slows down again as you meet the almost-crumbly graham cracker carpet supporting the whole thing. Beyond the texture, the flavors of the three layers—the bitterness of the chocolate, the tang of the cream cheese filling and the buttery crust, which is laced with spicy cinnamon—dance together perfectly. And while the one-inch squares are indeed the perfect bite, you’re going to want more than one bite. Even if you’re watching a show about people doing 180s with their health and losing jaw-dropping amounts of weight. Trust me.

Marbled Cheesecake Squares
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 9 cookie sheets)
Cooking spray
3 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 (8-ounce) blocks fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 ounces bittersweet (60%) chocolate

Preheat oven to 325°.

Coat a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Place the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom of pan. Bake at 325° for 8 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

Place cheeses in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Add sugar and flour; beat well. Add vanilla, egg whites, and egg; beat until well blended. Pour cheese mixture into prepared pan.

Place chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 1 1/2 minutes or until soft, stirring after 45 seconds (chocolate should not completely melt). Stir until smooth. Drop melted chocolate onto cheese mixture to form 9 mounds. Swirl chocolate into batter using the tip of a knife or a skewer. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until almost set. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.

1. vanessa says on March 25 2008 at 6:39 am:

these look incredible. i definitely would not have thought they would be from cooking light, they’re recipes can sometimes be hit or miss but these look they were a huge hit. i have to say, i love your site and your creations. i just made your roasted zucchini & squash lasagna with a few twists of my own last week and it came out awesome. i haven’t blogged about it yet but it’s on my list. thanks for being such an inspiration.

2. a. grace says on March 25 2008 at 8:02 am:

where do i begin? i was first assaulted by your gorgeous and oh-so-tempting pictures. then, i had to go and read your description of the little buggers, and now i practically have drool running down my chin and need a snack. thanks so much.

no really, thanks. :)

3. pumpkinpie says on March 25 2008 at 8:30 am:

The Biggest Loser and Cooking Light cheesecake. I love it! Then again, there is peanut butter on my yoga mat, I watch Top Chef while on the treadmill, and have shown up at the gym with chocolate pastry cream on my face.

4. bevsedgehills says on March 25 2008 at 8:33 am:

oooh these look just gorgeous!!

yummy yummy!

5. .: Mandy :. says on March 25 2008 at 8:46 am:

These are beautiful~ :) i love the swirls on them~ :D i can never get such beautiful swirls myself T.T

6. amanda says on March 25 2008 at 8:48 am:

I just made some of these bars over the weekend too. We must be craving the same things :)

7. rachel says on March 25 2008 at 10:41 am:

These look tasty AND pretty!

8. Karina says on March 25 2008 at 11:53 am:

The chocolate swirl is so pretty! I absolutely hate cheesecake (I know, weird) but those look so yummy!

9. stacie says on March 25 2008 at 1:38 pm:

Keep ‘em comin!

10. Kevin says on March 25 2008 at 7:47 pm:

Those cheesecake squares look so good.

11. ourkitchensink says on March 26 2008 at 6:59 am:

Vanessa: Thank you so much. I’m glad the lasagna went well! I’ll keep an eye out for your post.

A. Grace: I am a cruel, cruel person, I know.

Pumpkinpie: You had me at PB on your yoga mat. Hilarious.

Bevsedgehills: Thanks!

Mandy: Thanks! The swirling was the fun part. I didn’t have much of a plan — I just dragged my skewer through the melted chocolate and voila! it was pretty.

Amanda: The same wave-length streak continues! Crazy.

Rachel: Thank you!

Karina: You still haven’t broken that bad habit, eh? I’ll keep trying to lure you into the cheesecake-adoring fold.

Stacie: Oh don’t worry — I will!

12. Patricia Scarpin says on March 26 2008 at 8:37 am:

I love the chocolate swirls – yummy!

13. Tartelette says on March 27 2008 at 11:35 am:

That first picture is just breathtaking!

14. Li says on September 15 2008 at 10:08 pm:

Those look delicious!
    May I know what brand of cream cheese you use. I’ve been looking for one that is fat-free, but I’ve had no luck so far :/

15. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 16 2008 at 7:58 am:

Li: It depends what grocery store I am going to. If I’m going to the “regular” one, I use Philadelphia cream cheese. If I’m going to Whole Foods, I’ll get their generic brand. If you can’t find it, I think you can use all reduced-fat (or full fat, for that matter) and be fine.