Ginger Ice Cream

March 28 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 12 comments

gingericecream4.jpeg

This ice cream is the official end of this week-o-desserts, the mere act of writing the posts for which has given me a massive sugar hangover, cavities and reason to hit the treadmill. This ice cream is also a testament to how much my husband loves me. No, not because he requested this ice cream. In fact, while I think he liked it well enough, he’d probably opt for yesterday’s brownies over this ice cream (or under this ice cream, now there’s a thought!) any day.

gingericecream1.jpg

No, this ice cream shows the depth of Kevin’s tolerance of (er, love for) me in a couple ways. First, he barely batted an eye lash when I announced on Wednesday night that I would be making ginger ice cream to complete our dinner with a friend on Thursday night. Then, he rather pleasantly grated a quarter cup (a quarter cup!) of ginger for me (for us, for us). This not only left his arms aching and his knuckles in peril, but it also robbed him of time usually spent watching Seinfeld reruns or checking fantasy sports results.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

gingericecream3.jpeg

As if all this weren’t enough, Kevin’s eyes bulged only a little when I revealed that I’d only be able to complete half of said ice cream project on Wednesday night. Which meant that I needed to wake up a wee bit early (cough, 5:30) on Thursday morning to complete the project. And at said ungodly hour, I needed to run our rather noisy ice cream maker for about 30 minutes, while Kevin slept (or tried to sleep) a mere 20 yards away in our bedroom.

gingericecream2.jpeg

I know, I’m a lot to handle. But, at the end of the day, the man gets homemade ice cream. And not just any ice cream: ginger ice cream, which is creamy and rich like any good ice cream, with a lingering hint of spicy ginger that definitely ups the intrigue. A few scoops with blackberries nestled between and crystallized ginger dusted atop was a very grown-up version of an ice cream sundae. With this kind of ice cream, how loudly can Kevin complain?

gingericecream5.jpeg

Ginger Ice Cream
Gourmet

4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup coarsely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
2 tablespoons water
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup crystallized ginger*

In a large bowl lightly whisk yolks. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook sugar, fresh gingerroot, and water over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Add hot half-and-half mixture to yolks in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.)

Pour custard through a sieve into cleaned bowl and stir in cream and vanilla. Cool custard. Chill custard, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day.

Finely chop crystallized ginger. Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, adding crystallized ginger three fourths of way through freezing process. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.

Yield: 1 quart of ice cream

* I opted for sprinkling the crystallized ginger on top of the ice cream, rather than incorporating it in the ice cream. I think it would be lovely either way, though.

1. suzannemarya says on March 28 2008 at 8:24 am:

5:30am??? I’d say he could complain pretty, pretty loudly (to be said in Larry David voice – in homage to your Seinfeld reference). No, actually, Kevin’s a very lucky guy. This ginger ice cream looks absolutely scrumptious and may be enough motivation to get me to summon the ice cream maker off the dusty shelves in our garage.

2. eggsonsunday says on March 28 2008 at 8:44 am:

I love homemade ice cream, but I’ve never tried ginger — this looks delicious! -Amy

3. Brynn says on March 28 2008 at 1:29 pm:

yumm…this is SO up my alley.

4. Hillary says on March 28 2008 at 2:22 pm:

I love ginger flavoring – this ice cream sounds AND looks so good!

5. Leah Greenstein says on March 28 2008 at 3:42 pm:

Here’s to a fabulous sounding dessert (can’t wait to try it–just waiting for my ice cream maker to arrive) and to the men that support all our cooking/blogging endeavors.

Thanks for the post!

6. brilynn says on March 28 2008 at 7:26 pm:

I love ginger, you can come make noise it my kitchen at any hour if this is the result!

7. RecipeGirl says on March 28 2008 at 10:25 pm:

Sounds positively yummy. Do you know the trick about freezing fresh ginger first before you grate it? It’s much, much easier to grate when frozen!

We were both thinking “ginger,” as I just posted Ginger & Pear Muffins!

8. ourkitchensink says on March 29 2008 at 1:48 pm:

Suzy: I’ve taken to leaving the ice cream maker’s freezer bowl in the (duh) freezer. Makes a last minute ice cream project slightly more reasonable. Kevin loved the shout out (and the Curb reference, also). Hope you’re doing well!

Amy: Thanks! I highly recommend this one.

Brynn: Leftovers are in my freezer, mere blocks away from you. You’re welcome to have at them. It’s BYOC, though … (c = cone, obviously).

Hillary: Thanks! It was indeed delicious.

Leah: An ice cream maker en route? You are a lucky, lucky woman.

Brilynn: I love ginger too, but was a little skeptical about how much I’d love it in ice cream form. But I was more than pleasantly surprised.

RecipeGirl: Mmm, ginger & pear muffins sound great. I do have a bunch of leftover crystallized ginger …

9. Christie says on March 30 2008 at 8:08 am:

Those blackberries look so glossy and juicy, I can barely see the ice-cream. Yum!

10. Kristin says on March 31 2008 at 2:18 pm:

Christie: I had raspberries in mind originally, but they just looked so sad at the market. So, I went with these babies (which were indeed very juicy) instead. Thanks for the comment!

11. bevsedgehills says on April 02 2008 at 4:39 am:

I LOVE ginger, imagine with hot chocolate sauce dribbled over too! mmmm

12. mulder says on December 27 2008 at 2:01 pm:

I made this ice cream on Thursday, and it’s already gone… it’s delicious! Thanks for this recipe – ginger ice cream is my favorite and now I know how to make it.

Just as an FYI for anyone wanting to try this – I was a little freaked out by the description of the husband grating the ginger, but it took me all of *maybe* five minutes to grate the 1/4 cup needed. I used the coarse side of my cheese grater and it came out perfect. I will be making this again soon!