Not *Those* Kind of Burritos

April 10 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Chicken,Recipe » 12 comments

In college and for a couple years afterwards, burritos were a pretty substantial part of my diet. The burritos were as big as my head and they were wrapped in shiny foil: yes, I’m talking about those burritos. In college, my main excuse for my burrito habit was that the purveyor awarded you with a free soda to accompany your burrito when you brandished your student ID. My days of soda drinking are pretty much over (thankfully) and my Wildcard long since expired (sniff) and I haven’t ordered a condiment-laden, 16-inch-tortillaed burrito in at least a year.

But every now and again, the burrito urge strikes. Apparently, old habits die hard. So, I’ve attempted to recreate a healthier, more reasonably-sized burrito at home on several occasions. In contrast to my fairly good luck with making fajitas and tacos at home, my burritos had always fallen pretty flat. And I could never put my finger on the specific downfall.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

Then, I found this recipe for Chipotle Chicken Burritos (which refers to the actual pepper, not the aforementioned fast food chain that was once so liberal with its fountain drinks). The slow poach of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (something I’ve grown quite fond of recently, after years of bypassing them in favor of boneless/skinless breasts) and the toss in a chipotle-spiked, tomato-based sauce caught my eye and made me realize that the downfall of my previous burritos just might have been that I’d neglected to sufficiently dress up the meat.

So last Saturday, when the weather was very fiesta-ish indeed, I declared a burrito night. A no-foil-allowed (and no post-dinner glut) kind of burrito night, that is. I’m happy to report that this recipe came through in a big way. The chicken was extremely tender and flavorful in a saucy, smoky, spicy kind of way. And while many of the other elements—black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole—were standard, the shredded cabbage, whole wheat tortilla and green chile-laced sour cream gave these burritos a new-and-different dimension.

When it was all said and done, we had tons of leftover fixings. So, I of course loaded up some leftover burritos for this week’s brown bag lunches. And, just for fun … just for old time’s sake, I wrapped them in foil. They were about half the size of my burritos of yesteryear, but so, so much tastier.

Chipotle Chicken Burritos
Adapted from Food & Wine

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 medium onion, quartered, plus 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 large chipotle in adobo, stemmed, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 cup canned diced tomatoes with their juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
3 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles, drained
1 1/2 teaspoons water
Four 12-inch whole wheat tortillas, warmed
3 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
One 15-ounce can black beans-drained, rinsed and patted dry
1 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup prepared pico de gallo salsa
1/2 cup prepared guacamole

In a large saucepan, combine the chicken thighs, quartered onion, garlic and bay leaves. Add enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is fork tender, 1 hour. Remove the chicken and shred it into bite-size pieces. Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil. Add the diced onion and brown sugar and cook over moderately high heat until the onion is golden brown, 10 minutes. Add the chipotle, adobo sauce and tomatoes and simmer over moderately low heat until thickened, 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour over the shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper.

In a blender, combine the sour cream with the green chiles and water and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle the tortillas with the cheese. Spoon the chicken mixture down the center of the tortillas. Top the chicken with the black beans, cabbage, salsa, guacamole and green-chile sour cream. Bring the sides of the tortillas toward the center of the filling. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the filling and continue to roll until the burrito closes. Serve immediately.

1. katie102006 says on April 10 2008 at 5:27 am:

These look so good! I made beef burritos like this, but the chicken looks WAY better! I’m starring this to make next week. Thanks!

2. Amanda says on April 10 2008 at 8:38 am:

haha as soon as you mentioned the free soda, I was like, CHIPTOLE! I used to frequent my nearest establishment at the end of my high school senior year and would eat a burrito everyday. Seriously. The crew actually knew me and my friends names. We were insane, but it was basically our one meal for the day. And that free soda incentive worked it’s mojo too. But it’s been months and months since my last trip to Chiptole, and if I can eat burritos like yours, I might not ever go back.

3. diane (mom) says on April 10 2008 at 2:36 pm:

These look so good,and I know they could be a hit here also.The chicken looks favorful,can’t wait to try them.

4. RecipeGirl says on April 10 2008 at 5:15 pm:

It looks great- I never think to make burritos for dinner. I don’t know where you went to college, but here in San Diego, every college student gets their share of carne asada burritos!

5. Gretchen Noelle says on April 10 2008 at 6:53 pm:

I SOOOOOO miss Chipotle! That is one place I must visit when I am in the states. Yum!!! I look forward to making this!

6. grace says on April 12 2008 at 4:56 am:

these burritos are my kind of burritos, all the way down to the guacamole. chipotle ain’t got nothing on you. :)

7. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 14 2008 at 5:32 am:

Katie: Thanks! Let me know how it goes.

Amanda: Guilty as charged.

Mom: Thank ya!

RecipeGirl: In Evanston, Illinois there was only one burrito purveyor …

Gretchen: My friend just moved back to the US from London and she is quite excited to be back in Chipotle territory too.

Grace: Thanks!

8. Susannah says on May 13 2008 at 8:24 pm:

You are OBVIOUSLY referring to the Chipotle at Northwestern…I went there and lived on them too. Loved the one day a year when they had you dress up as a burrito to get a free burrito (Halloween). Sadly, Chipotle took away their free drink with Wildcard special.

9. tina Megesi says on April 16 2009 at 4:49 pm:

As soon as I started reading your intro I realized that you are a U of Arizona alumni. So is my son and he too lived on Chipotle and free soda while attending college. He introduced me to Chipotle and it’s one of our favorite places to eat. Can’t wait to try and recreate the chicken at home.

10. tina Megesi says on April 16 2009 at 4:54 pm:

Ok, maybe its Northwestern you attended, not U of Arizona, but believe me the students at both colleges lived on those burritos and free sodas. Sometimes that was the only food my son bought in a day because they were so big that you could have 1/2 for lunch and the rest for dinner. Add a bowl of cereal and there’s your 3 squares !

11. TheWoman says on July 29 2009 at 4:17 am:

Those look awesome! How do you fold them up so neatly? I can never seem to get it right… :-/

12. TaraTakesTheCake says on February 25 2010 at 3:10 pm:

in college i used to subsist off of the delicious and amazing Chipotle burritos and free drink too! oh man how i miss them. this looks delicious