Again With the Rhubarb

April 12 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Uncategorized » 13 comments

I knew it was going to be like this. When I fall for something, I fall hard. Take, for instance, my love affair with Fage yogurt, my obsession with a bake shop down the street, my new baseball crush on Fukudome. Oh, sure, and Kevin too. But the most recent addition to this things-that-make-me-weak-kneed list is rhubarb. I told you about me and rhubarb a couple weeks ago, after I used it in a quick bread. And as you might have guessed from my semi-swoon back then, it wouldn’t be long until rhubarb showed up on this blog again.

Well, it’s back. And it’s still wooing me with its sassy red hue and juicy tartness. I caught a glimpse of this crisp—which is (duh) a Rhubarb Crisp—on Martha Stewart’s web site a few weeks back. With just one peek at the magenta juices creeping up at the edges of the crisp’s topping, I knew I had to make it. I told you, I’ve got it bad for rhubarb.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

I made a couple changes to the recipe: instead of baking one large dish of the crisp, I halved the recipe and baked it in two gratin dishes. I think this retained the homespun look of a crisp, but upped the elegance, just a bit. And instead of using fresh raspberries, I used frozen (the last of my freezer-stock of the raspberries my grandparents gave me fresh from their garden), unthawed raspberries. Served warm from the oven, with a dallop of vanilla ice cream, Kevin and I split one and fought over every last juicy forkful.

Rhubarb Crisp
Adapted from Martha Stewart

3/4 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons hazelnuts, skinned, toasted, and chopped (optional)
1/2 cup frozen raspberries (unthawed)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine rhubarb, granulated sugar, and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Stir to combine.

In another bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Rub butter into flour mixture with your fingers until it is well incorporated and large crumbs form. Add oats and nuts and combine.

Turn rhubarb into two gratin dishes, scatter raspberries evenly over surface, and cover with crumb topping. Bake until topping is brown and crisp and juices are bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

1. Fenke says on April 12 2008 at 9:43 am:

rhubarb + rasberries = YUMMY!
    and it is such a simple recipe…

2. Amanda says on April 12 2008 at 10:34 am:

I share your affinity with Fage yogurt! I don’t know what they put in that stuff but I am a serious addict… As for rhubarb, I’m sold yet but I will try it out soon.

3. Hairy Weisenheimmer says on April 12 2008 at 10:56 am:

I’m with you on the with rhubarb! Having lived in Texas for the last 20 years I didn’t see it much, or ever, and I really missed it. I’m now back in Iowa, where the rhubarb is plentiful, and looking forward to rekindling the love affair! This may be the first recipe I use!

4. Sara says on April 12 2008 at 12:47 pm:

I love rhubarb. One of my favorite rhubarb inspirations is strawberry-rhubarb pie. It is juicy and it has to cool completely, but worth every minute. Perfect for an Saturday night dessert after a grilled meal.

5. grace says on April 12 2008 at 2:36 pm:

i’d like fage better if i knew how to properly say the name. as it is, i never say it out loud because i don’t want to mispronounce it and sound like an idiot. :)

6. Kevin says on April 12 2008 at 6:53 pm:

Rhubarb crisp…mmm… I can’t wait for local rhubarb to be in season.

7. Joanna in the kitchen says on April 13 2008 at 3:48 am:

Ok, now I only have to wait for the fresh rhubarb to appear on the market :-)

8. eggsonsunday says on April 13 2008 at 7:25 am:

Oh, my mouth is *watering!* This looks just delicious — I love the idea of baking the crisp in smaller gratin dishes. Those ruby-colored juices are beautiful!

PS – I have new obsession going with Fage yogurt, too. How did it take me so long to try it?? — Amy

9. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 14 2008 at 5:29 am:

Fenke: Yes, this recipe was a total snap.

Amanda: A fellow Fage junkie! Now, what do we need to do to make you see the rhubarb light?

Hairy: Welcome back to the midwest! Give this a try — and let me know how it goes.

Sara: This is really similar (flavor-wise) to a strawberry-rhubarb pie. And you could certainly swap in strawberries in this crisp.

Grace: Funny you should mention that. I’ve always looked at the pronunciation guide on the side of the carton (fa-yeh) skeptically. But I recently heard Rocco DiSpirito using it and he certainly said “fa-yeh.” So I’m on board now, I think. Join me!

Kevin and Joanna: I hope you guys don’t have to wait too long!

Amy: Thank you!

10. gary says on May 11 2008 at 12:30 pm:

Nothing serious , just a pet peeve of mine. When you ” unthaw” something , you leave it frozen. I can’t imagine in the Rhubarb recipe above that you meant to leave the berries frozen.

11. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on May 11 2008 at 12:33 pm:

Hi Gary: Thanks for the comment. Actually, I do mean frozen. They become too juicy and cook more quickly than the fresh rhubarb if thawed (i.e. unfrozen).

12. Granny says on June 13 2008 at 7:39 pm:

Rhubarb…ahh, what memories. I remember eating rhubarb pie, crisp, cobbler, raw or however I could get it as a child. I’m now in my late 60′s and still eating it and feeding it to my kids and grandkids who love it as well. I’m taking a huge crisp to a family reunion tomorrow and I can count on not having any to bring home. So many people who like it don’t have it in their garden and it’s so easy to raise. I love watching for those first leaves to pop through the ground in early spring. We freeze what we don’t use fresh for use as long as it lasts. Thanks for the memories!

13. Jacqueline says on April 12 2012 at 10:25 am:

Hi! I know this recipie is older, but I am a newcomer to your blog. Could I use frozed rhubarb here? I am in TX (transplanted from the midwest where we grew rhubarb) and I just don’t see it fresh here. Thanks!