Flax Appeal

May 07 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 9 comments

Being the week of Mother’s Day, this recipe—for Lemon-Flaxseed Loaf Cake—is very appropriate. Because both my mom and her mom are what one might call flax fiends. They both have seemingly unending supplies of the stuff. My grandma prefers to stir hers into her morning cup of coffee, while my mom takes the OJ route. And they’ve been known to swap sources for the best and the cheapest flax in Minnesota. Hey, when you need your omega-3′s, I guess you have to get them any which way you can.

While I hate to disrespect my maternal elders (oooooh, my mom is not going to like being called an elder), but I will humbly suggest this recipe to them and you as a slightly more delicious way of getting your flax on.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

The best part about this bread is that it doesn’t approach flax as something to tolerate, to choke down or to mask. Wellll, the best part, if I’m being honest, is actually the lemon glaze drizzled lazily over the top. But the second best part is the fact that flax doesn’t apologize for its presence and instead takes front and center.

In doing so, the flax lends a texture and a nuttiness that makes this anything but the same old lemon loaf. It’s really best right out of the oven, as it dries out a bit with time. But the glaze (mmmm, the glaze: so vibrant, so lightly sweet, so opaque and pretty) helps with that, enveloping the loaf in an extra layer of moistness.

So, if you’re among those trying to sneak in the flax wherever you can, this is the cake for you. And maybe you should contact me, because we’re probably related.

Lemon-Flaxseed Loaf Cake

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Set pan aside. Place flaxseed in a blender or clean coffee grinder, and process until ground to measure about 6 tablespoons flaxseed meal; set aside.

Combine 1 cup granulated sugar and eggs in a large bowl; beat at high speed of a mixer 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and pale. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flaxseed meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir well with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, oil, rind, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over top of loaf.

1. Brynn says on May 07 2008 at 9:20 am:

mmmm…flax. I’ll admit, I’m one of those who try to sneak it in where I can (usually w/ my Fage and some honey). I’ve always thought it would be perfect baked into muffins or something. This loaf looks great – and I’m a sucker for anything with zesty lemon :)I’ll have to try it out!

2. eggsonsunday says on May 07 2008 at 9:57 am:

Funny…my mom is a big flax proponent, too. I’ll have to pass this recipe along to her. :) –Amy

3. flax seed says on May 07 2008 at 10:30 am:

yuummm…a flax healthy bread with a drizzle of lemon graze. This is a great combination. Better try this one.

Btw, I also like to sprinkle flax granules on my coffee during breakfast so that makes two of us (your grandma and me). Well, why not? It’s good for the heart because of its Omega 3 nutrients and I love its nutty taste. — felix

4. mimi says on May 07 2008 at 6:38 pm:

well, i’ve only had flaxseed once, as oil, during some random detox i did. i’d much rather enjoy it in a baked good. and this is a beautiful loaf cake!

5. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on May 08 2008 at 4:59 am:

Brynn: Who knew? You’ll have to tell me my mom about this habit of yours — she’ll be your best friend.

Amy: I hope she likes it!

Flax Seed: Thanks! And, trust me, if it’s only you and my grandma, you’re in good company, at least!

Mimi: Yeah, I’d say this sounds tastier. :) Give it a try!

6. Sarah says on May 11 2008 at 10:46 am:

Thanks for this recipe – I made it this morning for my flax-eating mother and it was a big hit! I ended up using whole wheat flour because I couldn’t find our regular flour, but it was still quite delicious.

7. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on May 12 2008 at 11:20 am:

Sarah: Thanks for reporting back! And that’s great to know about the WW flour. I was afraid to try it because I thought it’d be too much with the ground flax. So glad you liked it!

8. Amy says on February 18 2009 at 10:48 am:

I have been a reader for a long time, but just got around to trying some of your recipes and am glad I did! I have been looking for some recipes to experiment with flax seeds and this was a great start. I substituted some whole wheat pastry flour and it worked well. Thanks for the recipe!

9. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 20 2009 at 4:58 pm:

Amy: That’s so great to hear! And I’m especially grateful for the note about the WW pastry flour. I need to make this again soon.