Mea Culpa

June 01 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Method » 11 comments

Dear reader, I’ve been keeping something from you. Do you remember the chocolate cookies I posted about earlier this week? The ones that were studded with chocolate chunks, perfect in texture and the cause of quite a breathless rhapsody by me? Well, the cookies were only the beginning.

What I neglected to tell you was that I divided the cookies into pairs and sandwiched them together with a thick smear of coffee ice cream. I can only hope you’ll forgive me for this secret-keeping. But I think it was worth two separate posts. The cookies themselves were near perfect, so let me just say that the slick of ice cream elevated them even further. They were deliriously good.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

Now, these are not exactly like the chip-wiches of my adolescence (which always garnered the longest line in my middle school cafeteria). These were more rich and flavorful and adult (if eating two cookies glued together with ice cream can be adult, that is). The harmony between the decadent, dark chocolate and the coffee ice cream was lovely, but I also think hazelnut gelato or a berry sorbet would be delicious substitutes.

Double Chocolate-Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches

Not so much a recipe today, but more of a method. Divide the cookies (recipe here) into like-sized pairs. Allow your ice cream of choice (for a half-batch of the cookies, I used less than a pint of ice cream) to soften a bit by letting it rest for about five minutes on the counter. Using the same size scoop you used to form the cookies, place one scoop on the center of the bottom of a cookie. Cover the ice cream with the cookie’s like-sized pair (both cookie bottoms should touch the ice cream). Press gently to spread the ice cream. Repeat with the remaining cookie pairs. Place the completed sandwiches on a baking sheet, spacing far enough apart so the cookies won’t stick together. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes, to allow the sandwiches to firm up. Serve straight from the freezer.

1. Amanda says on June 01 2008 at 10:39 am:

Even though its an early Sunday morning, I now feel the craving for a deliciously sinful chocolate ice cream sandwich. Screw oatmeal, I am grabbing my pint of ben and jerrys and taken it to town!

2. eggsonsunday says on June 01 2008 at 7:55 pm:

Perfect, oh YUM! These are definitely going on the to cook list…I would probably do the coffee ice cream like you did; it’s my favorite flavor! -Amy

3. PaniniKathy says on June 01 2008 at 9:21 pm:

Those look so indulgently tasty – I could really go for one right now! :-)

4. My Sweet & Saucy says on June 01 2008 at 9:51 pm:

Boy do I wish I had one of those right now! Looks delicious!

5. the blogger says on June 02 2008 at 4:32 am:

here’s the good thing about being an adult: i could have one for breakfast if i wanted. and i want. those look seriously delicious!

6. katie102006 says on June 02 2008 at 7:16 am:

OMGosh, YUM! I could TOTALLY go for one of thos right now!

7. becky says on June 02 2008 at 10:28 am:

when i was small, my mom would let me eat an ice cream cookie sandwich after school everyday. needless to say, i was a little fatty. your yummy pictures make me feel like a greedy toddler again…except, now i’m in college.

8. culinography says on June 02 2008 at 6:59 pm:

Holy cow… the cookies themselves looked awesome… but these look positively heavenly! Pass one my way?

9. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 02 2008 at 8:52 pm:

Amanda: Oatmeal schmoatmeal. These seem a perfectly suitable breakfast to me.

Amy: You love the coffee ice cream too? I can’t get enough.

PaniniKathy: Yes, indulgent indeed.

My Sweet & Saucy: I guess we’ve both had ice cream on the brain!

theblogger: Well if that’s what it means to be an adult, sign me up.

katie102006: you’re telling me.

becky: Ha! These cookies might just bring out the greedly little kid in all of us.

Culinography: Once I get me some melt-proof shipping methods, I’d be happy to!

10. Gigi says on June 05 2008 at 12:00 am:

Oh my an adult ice cream sandwich! They look sensational! I can’t wait to give these a try.

11. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 05 2008 at 5:26 am:

Gigi: Thank you! Let me know how it goes.