At Long Last

June 04 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Recipe,Sandwich » 12 comments

Something happened this weekend and, while I’m no Farmer’s Almanac, I’m pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that our calendars have flipped to June. Yes, June. I’m not sure what June’s arrival brought in your neck of the woods, but here in Chicago, it made the air feel a little more dense, it prompted the bright petals of our begonias to begin to unfurl and it was scented by charcoal embers smoldering in the backyards up and down our block. To June and the summer she’ll usher in, I say: welcome. Come on in. Stay a while, won’t you?

On Sunday, we fashioned our best welcome wagon for June. We walked to a farmer’s market. We sat on our deck. We discussed the possibility of an afternoon ice cream treat no fewer than a half-dozen times. And, of course, we fired up our grill. Because, well, it was the least we could do.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

We grilled up a chicken breast, sheathed in a coating of spicy Dijon mustard and smoky paprika. When it, in all its succulence, came off the grill we sliced it and split it among two panini. We tucked it between pieces of naan, stuck together with melty smoked gouda and threaded with slivers of grilled red peppers.

And then, we feasted. On our deck of course, shifting our gaze between the sinking, burning sun to the west and the glittery Chicago skyline to the east, tennis-spectator-style. When we finished off the last of our sandwiches, we weren’t quite ready to call it a night. Instead, we played a game of cribbage (the winner of which shall remain nameless) and lit a flickering candle. I’m looking forward to more Sundays—more anydays—like that one.

Grilled Chicken & Red Pepper Panini with Smoked Gouda

2 large chicken breasts
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
juice of half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt & pepper
2 red bell peppers, halved and cored
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices naan, cut in half (or other flatbread)
16 thin slices smoked gouda
12 basil leaves

In a medium bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, paprika and salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts and massage the marinade into the chicken. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Prepare a grill. Rub the red pepper halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken breasts (until cooked through) and the red pepper (until softened and blackened in spots). Do not turn the grill off. Allow the chicken and the peppers to rest so they are cool enough to handle. Once cooled, slice the red peppers and chicken breasts into thin strips.

Working with a pair of naan halves, pile on two slices of gouda, three basil leaves a quarter of the red peppers and a quarter of the chicken. Top with two more slices of gouda and the other naan halves. Repeat with the remaining three pairs of naan halves.

Once the sandwiches are assembled, return them to the grill for a couple minutes per side, until the gouda has melted and the naan has toasted. Serve warm.

1. Amy says on June 04 2008 at 7:01 am:

You had me at “naan”…and the rest of the sandwich looks amazing, too! I bet it was really “gouda”…ha! :) –Amy

2. Kari says on June 04 2008 at 9:17 am:

I’m jealous. It is predicted that it will rain ALL week in Seattle. I am probably going to make SOUP tonight:) Not, something on my grill!

3. Amanda says on June 04 2008 at 9:22 am:

What an absolutely delicious summertime meal. I think the naan bread totally takes this up a notch too. I think that I will have to recreate this dish with a healthy glass of sangria as I bask in the sun on a lazy weekday night.

4. Brynn says on June 04 2008 at 9:39 am:

Looks delicious! Did you see the forecast for this weekend? I think you may be able to log some more hours up on that beautiful deck of yours!

5. Ali says on June 04 2008 at 9:47 am:

If I would have known that was being served Sunday night I probably would have ‘randomly’ been in the neighborhood and dropped by to say hi! Looks like a meal I would LOVE. Awesome pics!

6. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 05 2008 at 5:23 am:

Amy: Ha! Your gouda secret’s safe with me.

Kari: Oh no! That is just not fair. Although … soup does sound kinda good.

Amanda: Oh yes, I think Sangria would be a lovely addition. In fact, perhaps I should add it right into the recipe: “Serve with a cool glass of Sangria.”

Brynn: So hot this weekend? I guess we’re skipping the 70s altogether. How very Chicago to go directly from 60s to 80s/90s. But if the deck is involved, I can’t complain too much.

Ali: You’re right, you would’ve liked this a lot. I’ll make one for you someday, I promise.

7. PaniniKathy says on June 05 2008 at 8:45 am:

Great idea to use the naan – I’ll have to try that sometime! I’m sure it especially works well with the other smoky flavors.

8. Dana says on June 06 2008 at 7:36 am:

Ummmm, whoa. Those look amazing. (p.s. I lived in Chicago for a while in grad school…sigh… I miss it!)

9. Kristine says on June 06 2008 at 2:34 pm:

I don’t get around to thanking the posters of the recipes I use nearly enough! We made these last night on ciabatta bread (couldn’t find suitable flatbread in our stores) and I just wanted to say that they were absolutely delicious. Thanks!

10. oliwiadrozd says on June 10 2008 at 12:44 am:

Amazing pictures!!!!!!!! And lovely recipes…

11. Jonathan says on July 02 2008 at 7:24 am:

i spy some matches from “Crispo”!! We’ve got some hanging out in my apt. too. Delicious! Too bad I had about 4 glasses of wine before we got there. I remember the food being wonderful, but, of course my tastebuds had been elevated by the vino and I ate very fast!

12. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 02 2008 at 7:42 am:

Jonathan: I saved my 4 glasses of wine until we got there. :) And I assure you that it was delicious for us too. I have the hardest time narrowing down dinner options when we’re in NYC, but I was very happy with that choice.