Devilish Angel Food

June 12 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 21 comments

Ali’s request for this week’s FDD (Family Dinner Dessert), conveyed in a mid-morning text message on Monday, was simple and open-ended: chocolate and strawberries. Then, in an unusually social butterflyish turn of events, we ended up out to dinner that night, capping off the night by digging four spoons into a wedge of pie so large it almost made me blush. And let’s not even mention the a la mode-ness of it all. Then, on Tuesday night, we had Kevin’s sister over for dinner and closed out the meal with mini molten chocolate cakes (more on those very, very soon). So come yesterday, I was feeling a bit glutted in the dessert department.

Given this state of glut, I suppose it’s no surprise I turned to angel food cake to grant Ms. Ali’s wish. It would be feather-light and summery, not to mention fun to make. Angel food cake, you see, requires some of my favorite baking tasks: separating egg whites, which I love to do by cracking the egg into my cupped hand, letting the whites ooze between my fingers while cradling the sunny yolk; whipping egg whites into a frenzy in the stand mixer, always having a Strega Nona moment wondering if the whites will billow right up and over the bowl, flooding the kitchen; and using my tube pan, which I inexplicably love, with it’s trick bottom and it’s tripod spikes. (I think this would be a good time to note that I should get out more.)

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

I’ve got a favorite angel food cake recipe, but it didn’t seem chocolatey enough. After all, Ali’s appeal consisted of a mere two ingredients: I wasn’t going to skimp on either of them. So I decided to look for a recipe that added cocoa powder to the batter, thinking cleverly to myself that this cake would be a little bit of misnomer. Angel food cake that’s not even white? Hardly celestial. Chuckle, chuckle. (Again, I need to get out more.)

So when I found a recipe titled “Devilish Angel Food Cake,” I was sold (and a little deflated that someone else had beat me to this hilarious culinary punchline). To amp up the chocolate even more (see above for my defense in this regard), I made a quick chocolate glaze to drizzle on top of the cake, nudging it so it would drip over the sides of the cake. And then I crowned the whole thing with a halo (ha!) of sliced strawberries. Devilish indeed.

Chocolate-Glazed Devilish Angel Food Cake with Sliced Strawberries

1 cup sugar
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced strawberries

Preheat oven to 350°.

Sift together first 4 ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.

Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, warm water, vanilla extract, and salt in a large bowl at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating mixture until stiff peaks form. Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, and fold flour mixture in gently.

Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; let cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow spatula; revert cake onto a baking rack. Transfer the rack to a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Combine the chopped chocolate and milk together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring with a fork until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the tablespoon of butter. Spoon the chocolate glaze over the top of the cake, pushing some of the glaze over and down the sides of the cake.

Arrange the sliced strawberries on the top of the cake, placing them in concentric circles. Allow the chocolate glaze to set for at least an hour.

1. Emily says on June 12 2008 at 7:31 am:

I love Strega Nona! And this looks amazing.

2. Ali says on June 12 2008 at 7:54 am:

I too love separating egg whites ;)… but not nearly as much as I LOVED this cake. The cake was served and in a mere 8.5 seconds, everyone’s was gone. Enough said.

3. eggsonsunday says on June 12 2008 at 8:13 am:

Strega Nona! What memories. And I love separating egg whites for the same exact reason…cradling the perfect sunny orangey yolks in my hand. Angelfood cake by itself is kind of blah to me, but the addition of chocolate and strawberries? I’m sold! Devilish, indeed. :) –Amy

4. RecipeGirl says on June 12 2008 at 8:29 am:

Delish! Loving the chocolate drizzling down the sides. Definitely devilish looking!

5. Pam says on June 12 2008 at 10:29 am:

My mouth is watering. What a lovely cake.

6. grace says on June 13 2008 at 2:52 am:

understatement of the week: what a fabulous cake. i’ve always loved the texture of angel food cake, and we mustn’t forget the chocolate. mmm, the chocolate. and the strawberries. fabulous. i can’t even form complete sentences. :)

7. brilynn says on June 13 2008 at 7:02 am:

Angel food cake is traditional for my Dad’s birthday but he loves chocolate so this is certainly something he would enjoy!

8. Kelly says on June 13 2008 at 1:43 pm:

This looks awesome! Just a wee little scoop of ice cream and I would be in heaven.

9. Ginny says on June 14 2008 at 4:40 pm:

I could go for a slice! Looks so delicious!!!

10. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 15 2008 at 8:54 am:

Emily: Me too! Thanks.

Ali: Funny, I don’t recall you being there during the whole egg white part.

Amy: Thank you! They’re not fresh from the farmer’s market or CSA, like your berries, but they did the trick.

RecipeGirl, Pam, Grace: Thank you!

Brilynn: Two birds with one stone!

Kelly: Yes, my husband went the a la mode route and was not disappointed.

Ginny: Thanks!

11. Jasline says on June 15 2008 at 11:57 am:

Chocolate and strawberries are my weakness. This cake looks amazing and gorgeous!

12. Stacy says on June 15 2008 at 3:14 pm:

This looks gorgeous!

13. My Sweet & Saucy says on June 15 2008 at 7:50 pm:

This looks so delish! Great shots!

14. Yujai says on June 15 2008 at 9:44 pm:

strawberries & chocolate = simply delicious!

15. Emme says on June 15 2008 at 10:50 pm:

I can’t wait to hear more about the mini molten chocolate cakes. I hope to make “lava” cakes for my son’s rehearsal dinner in July. Just maybe these are the same thing.

Hopefully, Emme

16. pyondi says on July 17 2008 at 10:42 am:

looks delicius….!

17. yourstruely- says on May 19 2009 at 3:37 pm:

will be baking this cake for my boyfriend’s birthday! really hope he’ll like it :P this cake makes me drool :P hope it does the same to him too! xD

18. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says on June 14 2009 at 1:32 am:

Hi, I found you through a google search from http://www.squidoo.com/sinful-chocolate-cake-recipes , after making my first ever regular angel food cake tonight, I sought out more recipes! This sounds SO good! Beautiful photos!

19. Isabelle says on August 16 2009 at 3:19 pm:

Heyy!!! I’d just like to know: is there any way I could replace all-p. flour for the cake flour? Maybe literally or by adding a tad of cornstarch and removing the same amount of cake flour?

20. Isabelle says on August 16 2009 at 3:20 pm:

*removing the same amount of all-p. flour i meant

21. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on August 17 2009 at 9:20 am:

Isabelle: I’ve read that people substitute an AP flour/cornstarch combination for cake flour, but I haven’t tried it. If you try it, let us know how it goes. Good luck!