All Photo Friday

August 15 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Pork,Recipe » 15 comments

As I’m writing this, it’s still Monday. I’m trying to get all my ducks in a row before leaving town tomorrow. And, it turns out that writing five posts in one day is exhausting! So, I’m making this another all photos-Friday. Up today: a fennel-and-sage crusted pork tenderloin. It’s delicious. And quite beautiful, too, I think.

(Click “more” for the photos & the recipe.)

Fennel-and-Sage Crusted Pork Tenderloin

Serves 3 to 4

1 (approximately 1 pound) pork tenderloin
1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as sage, rosemary and basil
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon red chile flake
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Prepare a grill (or heat a grill pan) over medium-high heat.

Meanwhile, sprinkle the tenderloin with salt and pepper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the herbs, fennel seeds, garlic and chile flakes; set aside.

Slather the Dijon mustard on the salt-and-peppered tenderloin, coating the tenderloin evenly. Next, scatter the herb mixture over the mustard-coated tenderloin, pressing the mixture to adhere to the pork.

Grill the pork for 20 minutes total, turning once, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the tenderloin registers 145° (slightly pink in the middle). Allow the pork to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it into 1-inch thick pieces.

1. GS says on August 15 2008 at 9:20 am:

Thank-you! I need a new recipe for tenderloin; this one uses everything I already have in the pantry AND it seems easy enough! A tasty Friday meal with blue-cheese coleslaw!

2. joejhorn says on August 15 2008 at 4:09 pm:

Looks great, I don’t even love tenderloin, but I want to take a bite of this one.

3. susieshomemade says on August 15 2008 at 8:26 pm:

I don’t know where I found you but, I really like your blog. I have a little food blog myself and I really like what you have done here. I think I might look around for a while.

4. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on August 16 2008 at 6:44 am:

GS: That sounds like a lovely Friday night feast.

joejhorn: Thanks!

susieshomemade: Thank you! Stay as long as you like. : )

5. Tom Aarons says on August 16 2008 at 7:32 am:

This is a beautiful set of photos and a delicious recipe. Thanks.

6. Jerry says on August 16 2008 at 7:58 pm:

Sounds scrumptious!

7. wrightfood says on August 16 2008 at 9:51 pm:

Great looking stuff! I cook a tenderloin most weeks, and this is a great variation.

8. [eatingclub] vancouver || js says on August 16 2008 at 11:11 pm:

It’s beautiful — and beautifully easy as well! I’ll have to try this soon.

9. RecipeGirl says on August 17 2008 at 9:18 am:

It’s tough to get good pics of pork tenderloin but you managed to do it! Doesn’t surprise me :)

10. Dragon says on August 17 2008 at 7:16 pm:

Simply gorgeous!

11. diva@theSugarBar says on August 17 2008 at 8:33 pm:

fantastic pics! the tenderloin looks so succulent mmmmm.

12. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on August 18 2008 at 4:50 am:

Tom Aarons: Thank you!

Jerry: I assure you, it is!

wrightfood: Thanks! I find myself cooking tenderloin more often too. I’m always looking for new ideas.

js: Thanks! And, yes, so easy and fast.

RecipeGirl: Pork tenderloin is not very photogenic, is it? But, thanks!

Dragon: Thank you!

13. April says on December 03 2008 at 9:16 pm:

I made this tonight (been on my to cook list) and I gotta say, it was cooked to perfection (using your instructions of coure), but I didn’t know I didn’t like fennel until tonight. Well, correction, when I smelled the fennel seeds I thought I didn’t like it but went ahead with it because yours looked SO good. Next time, I’ll cook it the exact same way, but no fennel seeds and I know it will be PERFECTION!! It was so tender, we didn’t need a knife. Yummy. Thanks again, Kristen. Your recipes never let me down! P.S. Lunch was gruyere and onion sandwich… again!

14. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on December 04 2008 at 9:54 pm:

April: Wonderful! And it’s great to know it made a fennel lover out of you too. Check out the onion flatbread in the archives, if you’re looking for another use for fennel seeds. And, thanks for reminding me I need to make those sandwiches again soon!

15. Amy says on December 27 2010 at 4:21 pm:

I was in dire need of something to make for Christmas dinner this year. This recipe popped up in a search for pork tenderloin, and proved to be simple and delicious. We ended up roasting ours in the oven, and the results seemed similar. Thanks so much for the help! I look forward to trying more recipes from your website!