Fall, Through and Through

September 19 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Hors D'Oeuvres,Recipe » 25 comments

When I first discovered food blogs last fall (Where had I been! Oh, the years and years I lost), I felt like I’d found an entire long-lost limb of my family tree. My people. And they were out there in the Internets, just waiting for me. I promptly started devouring a few favorites, voraciously working my way through archives and eagerly awaiting the arrival of new posts in my Google Reader. Best of all, I felt inspired to cook and bake the recipes I was reading about—even more inspired than I am by magazine articles, cookbooks and TV shows (which is really saying something). One of the first blog recipes I made was this one: a Butternut Squash & Caramelized Onion Galette, created by Smitten Kitchen‘s Deb (who happened to be on Martha Stewart this week!).

I made the galette last fall when my parents were in Chicago to visit my sister, Kevin and me. It was a perfect fall weekend—brilliant blue skies, a warm breeze, sunlight twinkling off the trees’ golden, orange-y fronds. Best of all my family was all together and they were indulging me by letting me cook for them one of the nights. I made this tart as our appetizer. The recipe was so easy to follow, so fun to make, so gorgeous to gaze at, and so completely delicious to eat, I immediately declared it a keeper and myself an official Smitten Kitchen fan. And it’s around that time that I started toying around with the idea of creating a food blog myself.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

But then the new recipes continued to dance into my Google Reader, across my computer screen and onto our kitchen table. And, sadly, this galette recipe lay dormant for the rest of the fall and winter. And, the next thing I knew, asparagus and fava beans hit the scene and butternut squash was simply unthinkable. So, as the sun was setting on this summer, I couldn’t wait to break this recipe out again. Really, this recipe is fall through and through: the autumnal colors peeking out of the rustic pastry that’s hugging it, the earthy and comforting flavors, the warmth (both from the oven and from the mouth-tingling twinge of cayenne pepper), the Thanksgiving-ish aroma.

Just like my family last fall, our guests on Tuesday night adored this tart. And I hope you will too. Because, I am telling you, you cannot let fall slip by without making it. Even just once. (But, for the record, I will be making it more than once. Mom: I’m thinking Thanksgiving appetizer? Call me!)

The recipe, over at Smitten Kitchen, is here.

1. deb says on September 19 2008 at 6:35 am:

Beautiful!

2. eggsonsunday says on September 19 2008 at 6:35 am:

I love galettes. I love butternut squash. I love caramelized onions. Ergo, I already LOVE this appetizer even though I haven’t it made it yet (but I definitely will be!) I felt the same way discovering food blogs…”my people!” Hee hee. :) -Amy

3. April in CT says on September 19 2008 at 9:38 am:

I could have written the first few lines! I felt the exact same when I stumbled upon (quite literally..the FF plug in!) food blogs. How could I have missed out all this time!? The hours I’ve spent looking through archives…I try not to think about it!

Beautiful pictures and I will definitely be trying this one.

4. Johanna says on September 19 2008 at 10:29 am:

I can’t remember when I actually discovered food blogs – oh wait, it must have been sometime last year as well, and yes, just between summer and fall :) I double what you said about being inspired to try to recreate recipes, I actually started experimenting in my kitchen because of food blogs. And had to try new recipes the minute I saw them. I’ve gotten better since then, but only a litte!

5. amylouwho says on September 19 2008 at 10:57 am:

I have just discovered food blogs and crafting blogs! I’m like you, I feel like I’ve missed out on so much!!!

I can’t wait to make this for my mom when she comes to visit in a few weeks!

6. mimi says on September 19 2008 at 11:24 am:

i love galettes and tarts! will definitely try this out when fall finally arrives, yours look delish!

7. Melissa says on September 19 2008 at 1:27 pm:

I could’ve written the first few lines too. Food blogs to me serve as my most valued resource and learning tool. I make probably half my recipes from other people’s posts. And Deb is a real gem. As are you. ;)

8. Kristen says on September 19 2008 at 2:46 pm:

Oh my goodness… this is gorgeous!
    I couldn’t live without food blogs. How’d our mom’s do it? :)

9. Esi says on September 19 2008 at 3:42 pm:

Gorgeous! Butternut squash is my favorite fall vegetable.

10. Polly says on September 19 2008 at 8:49 pm:

Mmmmm… I can’t wait to try this one (along with a few others you’ve posted recently) –what a fun combination of fall flavors. I just need to get myself invited to a party so I can once again boast about the cool blog where I found my recipe. :-) I wonder how this would taste with pumpkin instead of butternut?

11. The Topiary Lady says on September 19 2008 at 9:44 pm:

I just discovered them 2 months ago! Just think about how far ahead you are of me! This looks really good. Thanks for sharing. I have similar likes and will check your blog regularly for more ideas.Thanks!

12. gwendolyn says on September 19 2008 at 11:44 pm:

I thought I had read all of Smitten Kitchen, but this must have escaped me because I would have bookmarked it immediately. What an amazing looking dish! Can’t wait to make it.

13. Amy says on September 20 2008 at 7:38 am:

OMG! This is beautiful and I am making it immediately. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

14. jain says on September 20 2008 at 5:00 pm:

this entire blog culture is short circuiting me, where does one find time to read, shop, cook and post? i must be a sloth… your recipe is exactly what i had in mind and its so beautifully photographed.

15. holler says on September 21 2008 at 3:44 pm:

I am with you there, food blogs are so inspiring. It is hard to keep up with everyone though. I think we need a new day in the week called blogday, where we can just blog and not worry about work or housework. Lovely recipe, by the way. I will keep it in mind for squash season.

16. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 21 2008 at 7:26 pm:

deb: Thanks! And thanks again for the recipe.

Amy: Oh, yes, your logic is quite sound. I think you’ll love it.

April in CT: Hours well spent, if you ask me. : )

Johanna: It’s fun to hear about others’ inspirations too!

amylouwho: Your lucky mom!

mimi: I hope you do give it a try! Let us know how it goes.

Melissa: Thank you!

Kristen: Thanks!

Esi: It’s one of my favorites too. That color …

Polly: Pumpkin’s an interesting idea. I think it’d be lovely — though the roasting time/temp might need to be adjusted. If you try it, let me know.

The Topiary Lady: Do come back soon!

gwedolyn: I’ve tried a handful of recipes from Deb’s site and this one’s one of my favorites.

Amy: Let us know how it goes!

jain: It does take a lot of time — but it’s also quite a bit of fun for me. So I suppose that’s how/why I carve out the time.

holler: Yes, I am all for blogday. Who’s with us?

17. Mari says on September 30 2008 at 3:47 pm:

I heart fall/winter dishes, so! Especially the orange stuff! I’m going to make this SOON!

18. Micha says on September 30 2008 at 4:55 pm:

This looks delicious! Can’t wait to make it!

19. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 03 2008 at 11:25 am:

Mari: Me too!

Micha: I hope you try it. Let us know how it goes!

20. redmenace says on October 04 2008 at 1:26 pm:

gorgeous! a fabulous idea!

21. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 06 2008 at 8:55 am:

redmenace: Thanks!

22. Kikibibi says on January 16 2009 at 10:04 am:

Kristen – I am curious about one of your photos. It appears to be the assembled galette just prior to baking. Is that milk or something on the silpat, outside the galette? Did you brush the crust?

23. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on January 16 2009 at 10:17 am:

Kikibibi: Yes, I usually brush with milk or cream, which helps it brown up in the oven. It’s not essential, though.

24. Kikibibi says on January 19 2009 at 9:26 am:

Thanks! I’m making this today.

25. Jain Recipes says on May 12 2009 at 1:01 am:

Such a wonderful recipe, This recipe looks so royal that I can wait to prepare it and cherish the taste.