On Change & Pound Cake for Breakfast: Good Things, Both

September 22 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 19 comments

It’s my first day at my new job today. That’s right, after a three-year, law-school-induced hiatus, I have rejoined the full-time work force. And it feels suprisingly un-momentous. I’ve known that I will be working at this law firm for two full years now, so I think it’s about time we got this show on the road.

Shifting from the student lifestyle (and the third year law student lifestyle, in particular, which is, shall we say, not exactly demanding) to the working lady lifestyle will usher in a host of changes, I know—not the least of which will be in my kitchen. Gone are the days when I can languidly pore over recipes by morning, grocery shop around noon, spend the afternoon snapping photos in the kitchen and cobbling together blog posts by night (oh, and eating somewhere along the way too!). I will have to be more deliberate, efficient and edited with my cooking. But I’m not sure that those are bad things.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

Our friends have taken to asking Kevin whether he’s ready to start eating ramen and TV dinners every night. I know there will be change, but I certainly hope it won’t be all that bad. Ramen? We barely ate that in college! And I hope the changes around here—on this blog—won’t be too drastic either. I am certain I won’t be able to keep up the daily, Monday-through-Friday posting that I’ve done for my first almost-year as a blogger. But know that I haven’t forgotten about you dear reader and that this site—the recipes, memories and friendships it holds—is something that will remain very important to me and continue to serve as a daily treat.

In the meantime, I’m glad to have eased the first day nervous jitters with a thick slice of this quick bread. Note that I’m calling it a quick bread, even though the recipe deems it a pound cake. Pound cake for breakfast is a little … unseemly. But when it’s this dense and moist and caramel-y, who can resist? And, did I mention the crackled, buckled, wonderfully messy cinnamon-sugar topping? Or the stripe of cinnamon sugar that zig-zags through the middle of the loaf, like a spiking and plunging line graph? Like I said: irresistible.

Brown Sugar, Cinnamon-Swirl Pound Cake
Adapted from Cooking Light

Note: If you’ve noticed that my pound cake looks a little squat, here’s why. The original recipe calls for a 10-inch tube pan. I read online somewhere that a 10-inch tube pan recipe should be halved to fit a 9-inch loaf pan. I have a 10-inch loaf pan and halved the recipe. I could’ve easily fit the entire recipe and will not halve it next time. As such, the recipe below is the full (non-halved) recipe, which should accommodate a 10-inch tube pan, 9- or 10-inch loaf pan and a 12-cup bundt cake (but lower the oven temperature to 325 for the bundt).

Cooking spray
3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup fat-free milk

Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat a 9- or 10-inch loaf pan or a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray, and dust with the breadcrumbs.

In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.

Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Beat the butter in a large bowl at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add brown sugar and vanilla, beating until well-blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

Spoon half the batter into prepared pan. Dust half the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the batter in the pan. Spoon the remaining batter on top of the cinnamon-sugar layer, and carefully spread the batter so it is smooth. Top this layer of batter with the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.

1. Holly says on September 22 2008 at 5:24 am:

Best of luck to you as you begin your new job!

2. sue bette says on September 22 2008 at 6:58 am:

Good luck with the new job – maybe we can see some killer pack lunches post in the future? I am always looking for new ideas!

3. GS says on September 22 2008 at 8:04 am:

Kristin, I’m excited and breathless for you! And as for this recipe? You’ve gone and posted ANOTHER delicious looking “pantry staple” recipe that I have try! Go get ‘em!

4. Amanda says on September 22 2008 at 9:17 am:

Good luck girlie! I hope you aren’t too tuckered out when you get home today. And if you are, make the hubby take up the kitchen duties. You need some R&R with all these changes :) By the way, I, college poor student, NEVER eat ramen noodles… Kraft Mac & Cheese? now, that’s a different story…

5. Kevin says on September 22 2008 at 10:46 am:

Happy First Day!

See, I won’t be eating Ramen noodles, I’ll just be eating chicken wings, which is much more classy and healthy.

6. Dawn says on September 22 2008 at 10:54 am:

Best of luck at the new job! I do hope you will find time to continue your blog — it is delightful and I so look forward to your posts. This cake looks really yummy. Our family just polished off a homemade coffee cake with a middle layer of nut/cinnamon/nutmeg/graham crumble, which was delish. But, I think I prefer the idea of a similar cake with no nut-chopping! I assume the 4th ingredient is supposed to be cinnamon?

7. Whitney says on September 22 2008 at 11:01 am:

Good luck on your first day! I hope that it is everything that you are expecting it to be. Hopefully your blog will be a great way to step away from breaking your day into 6 min. increments :)

8. Betsy says on September 22 2008 at 11:06 am:

This cake looks great – I wonder how it would taste with white whole wheat flour (I’ll let you know if I try it). Good luck with your new job – I hope the transition goes smoothly for you!

9. caviar and codfish says on September 22 2008 at 12:16 pm:

Good luck! I’m sure you will ease right into this new gig!

10. Julie Kellogg says on September 22 2008 at 1:31 pm:

I just recently started reading your wonderful blog and will look forward to more recipes in the future, even if more sporadic! Best of luck as a new lawyer in Chicago.

11. Michelle says on September 22 2008 at 4:00 pm:

Good luck at your new job, from a fellow law geek and foodie :D. Question though. I assume you meant cinnamon rather than breadcrumbs as the first ingredient in the list?

12. Michelle says on September 22 2008 at 4:15 pm:

Never mind, I see where the breadcrumbs are used in the recipe, but how much cinnamon?

13. Mia says on September 22 2008 at 5:08 pm:

Kristin – that’s so funny, it was my first day at work today, too! i guess we’ll both have to start making big batches of soup, etc. that can last through the week. Your cake looks lovely; I also made a first day of work recipe that will be appearing on my blog soon…

14. My Sweet & Saucy says on September 23 2008 at 12:19 am:

I love a good pound cake and you just made it even more delicious! Fabulous!

15. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 23 2008 at 5:00 am:

Holly: Thanks!

sue bette: That’s a great idea. My favorite thing (especially in the fall/winter) is a container of leftover soup, but perhaps I need to get more creative. : )

GS: Thank you! And, yes!, another pantry staple!

Amanda: Kevin’s always glad to help out — if I let him. : ) And those blue boxes featured heavily in my college experience as well.

Kevin: Ha! Wing Stop, here you come.

Dawn: I love the idea of some crumbled/ground graham in with the cinnamon and sugar. Oh, and yes, cinnamon — apologies.

Whitney: Thanks!

Betsy: I think white WW would work well here (thought I’m skeptical about straight WW). Do let us know if you try it!

Robin: Thank you!

Julie Kellogg: Thanks for the note! I definitely plan to keep the blog up, just not as frequently.

Michelle: Thanks for your note! If fixed the error in the recipe — 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. So sorry.

Mia: Happy First Day to you!! And I’ll look forward to that post.

My Sweet & Saucy: Yes, I figured a little cinnamon & sugar couldn’t hurt!

16. GS says on September 23 2008 at 8:53 am:

Simply HAD to make this pound cake last night! It turned out moist and went very well with coffee for breakfast this morning!! Thanks for another great recipe!

17. Emily says on September 23 2008 at 12:27 pm:

Kristin! Have a great first week – I can’t wait to hear about it!

18. brilynn says on September 24 2008 at 10:43 am:

Cake is always an appropriate breakfast.
    I’ve just started a new job and schedule as well and finding time to blog is not exactly happening for me.

19. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 25 2008 at 5:02 am:

GS: Thanks so much for the quick report! Glad it worked out for you.

Emily: Thanks! Let’s catch up soon.

brilynn: Congrats on the new job! It’s certainly a juggle.