Creature of Habit

October 10 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Bread,Recipe » 15 comments

I am an unabashed creature of habit. I’ve enjoyed routine—its dependableness, its ease, its comfort—since I was very young. Let’s just say that I’ve been picking out the next day’s outfit before I go to bed since my bedtime was somewhere in the neighborhood of 8:00 p.m. Oh, and that’s another thing: I firmly subscribe to a bed time. Ten-thirty every school (er, work) day. (Wow, I’m making myself sound like a barrel of laughs here, eh?)  So, as I’ve started to settle into a routine with my new job (a new gym time in the morning; a new spot to stop for a cup of coffee; a new el station), I can feel myself relaxing even as my workload and responsibilities increase.

Given this proclivity, I suppose its no great surprise that this blog has developed its own steady cadence: I post and comment at the same time of day, I upload photos to Flickr about 24 hours in advance, I lay out each post in almost the exact same format. And, even though I hadn’t planned it this way, it turns out that my Friday posts since I’ve started working have fallen into a pattern of their own.

(Click “more” for the rest of the story, more photos & the recipe.)

My last two Friday posts have featured project-type recipes: thousand layer lasagna and fresh roasted pumpkin puree. They’re high maintenance recipes, demanding a lot of time and attention, but in the end, putting on a good show. Today I’m following in those Friday footsteps with this challah recipe. Don’t be fooled by its deceptively short ingredient list and and set of instructions. You’ll spend the better part of a day allowing the dough to rise, shaping (braiding!) the loaves, swabbing on an egg wash, scattering on poppy seeds and, finally, baking. Which is precisely why the last time I made it was almost a year ago. It took a Rosh Hashana dinner at my inlaws’ house to get me to dust off the recipe again this fall and I am so so so glad I did.

Just like the pumpkin and the lasagna, this recipe is worth every single minute and every single dirty dish spent on it. Watching the heap of flour and yeast and a pool of eggs and oil transform into a plump, golden, glistening braid is a little bit like witnessing a magic trick slowly unfold. It will leave you awestruck. (And delighted by its light texture, eggy crust and gentle sweetness.) That’s the kind of recipe I’m more than willing to donate a Saturday or (and?!?) Sunday to. In fact, I’m hoping to make a habit of it.

Shosh’s Challah
Via Ruthieki’s Flickr Page

Yield: 2 loaves

5 1/2 – 6 c. flour
1 T dry yeast
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/4 t salt
6 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 c water plus 2 t
1 egg

1. In a small bowl (#1), put yeast, 1 T sugar, 1/4 c water. Mix and let it stand for 10 minutes or until it bubbles.

2. In bowl #2 put all dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar; mix them well.

3. In bowl #3 put all wet ingredients: water, oil, egg, and the yeast mixture after it’s bubbled; mix them well.

4. Mix everything together to make the dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour until you can handle it. Use your hands to mix and press the mixture until it forms a ball of dough.*

5. Cover with a towel, and let the dough stand in a warm place for an hour or an hour and a half until it doubles in size.

6. Punch the dough to let out the air bubbles (this is the fun part!).

7. Let stand for 10 minutes.

8. For traditional-style challah, separate dough into six even pieces, roll each piece into a snake either between your hands or on the table, and make two braids. Turn the ends under so they look pretty. You may need to keep a little flour out to keep them from getting too sticky. Or, weave them into any design you like. Place them on greased and floured cookie sheets.

9. Beat one egg in a small bowl. Brush both braids with egg. Let them stand half an hour, and then brush with egg again. If you like, sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds after the second egg wash.

10. Let rise for an hour or an hour and a half until the loaves double in size. Be patient!

11. Heat oven to 375F. Bake for 22-26 minutes or until the tops turn golden.

* I wasn’t quite sure what “press” meant. I stirred the ingredients all together until they were cohesive enough to turn out onto the counter. I then kneaded the dough for a couple minutes, because it just seemed like the thing to do. It definitely yielded much more of a “ball” then I would have gotten just pressing the dough together with my hands (like making a snowball).

1. Robin says on October 10 2008 at 7:18 am:

Beautiful! Your challah looks perfect.

I’m a routine kind-of-girl myself, so I totally get it. I’m always grumpy if I stay up past my bedtime.

2. sue bette says on October 10 2008 at 1:18 pm:

Nice job with the braids – looks a lot better than my challah attempt a few weeks ago! I am looking forward to digging into some Saturday food projects this fall – seems like the perfect way to spend the day when the weather gets cooler.

3. Zoe Francois says on October 10 2008 at 1:19 pm:

Gorgeous! Your photos make me want to reach into my computer and grab one!

4. dakota says on October 10 2008 at 1:33 pm:

Oh my goodness, your Challah looks so delicious. I want to try a Challah recipe at some point this winter, so I think I’ll use yours, but ooooh, like Zoe, I want to just reach in the computer and grab some!

5. jamie says on October 10 2008 at 1:47 pm:

wow! these pictures look like i am at a baker’s window!

6. feedsomeone says on October 11 2008 at 5:54 pm:

Your loaves look absolutely fabulous!! Just one question: what kind of flour are you using?

7. Julie says on October 11 2008 at 11:01 pm:

That it so beautiful…definitely worth the effort. I’m gonna bookmark it and try it, hopefully sooner than later. And lucky me, I just bought a new jar of poppy seeds! (It takes very little to excite me)

8. bakingforthecure says on October 12 2008 at 10:56 am:

Beautiful pictures! the recipe sounds great!

9. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 13 2008 at 4:52 am:

Robin: Thanks!

sue bette: And, you’ve got a new kitchen to dig into too!

Zoe: Thank you!

dakota: Let us know how it goes!

jamie: Thanks!

feedsomeone: All purpose flour.

Julie: I’m with you — new poppy seeds are quite exciting. : )

bakingforthecure: Thanks!

10. JENA says on October 13 2008 at 10:42 am:

What a great Sunday project! I had so much fun with this recipe, and my Fiance and I used Whole Wheat flour (He’s a health teacher…what can i say) with sesame seeds on top, and though it comes out of the oven a bit darker than the white flour it is still quite delicious! Do you ever make it with raisins or anything baked in?

11. mysweetestday says on October 14 2008 at 6:25 am:

ive always been afraid to make challah bread. however, your pictures look too amazing and your instructions are too clear for me not to give it a go. thanks for the inspiration :]

12. mysweetestday says on October 14 2008 at 6:25 am:

oh yeah and i forgot…did you use active dry yeast?

13. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on October 14 2008 at 7:47 am:

JENA: I love the idea of WW flour and sesame seeds. I’m glad to hear that WW flour can work here. Thanks for reporting back! I haven’t tried raisins or any other additions like that yet.

mysweetestday: Go for it! And, yes, I used active dry yeast.

14. pea and pear says on October 17 2008 at 6:29 pm:

well one thing I can definitely agree on, that delicious looking loaf would certainly be worth the effort it looks scrumptious. I crave being a creature of habit, but it never works, I am easily distracted. I wold love routine… ooooh so jealous!!!
    Ali

15. Briana Barnett says on January 19 2010 at 10:18 pm:

I tried this recipe, it was wonderfull and came out absolutely beautifully! A real show stopper.It came ou perfectly. However, in all of its deliciousness i did find the bread to be slightly dry, did you notice this? Still delicious of course, but i found my mouth needing water after a few bites. Is there any way to make the bread slightly more moist?? Thank you so much.