Not Your Grandma’s Brandy Drink (Or Is It?)

December 30 2008 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Drink,Recipe » 17 comments

brandyalex

As usual, I’ve gotten a little ahead of myself. I have a history of this: in the fifth grade, I was already dressing like a business woman. Blazers, and sometimes ties (it was 1989), were de rigueur. So, really, my eagerness to talk about New Years Day, before uttering even a peep about New Years Eve, really isn’t all that shocking. Like I said, I have a history—a shoulder-padded history.

branalex2

brandyalex3

brandyalex4

brandyalex5

In reality, I have been doing a lot of thinking about New Years Eve. We’ll be cooking and laying low because we have an early flight on New Years Day (New Orleans!). My initial idea for a New Years Eve menu came while we were at my parents’ house in Minnesota for Christmas.

brandyalex7

The idea, actually, emerged from the blender, of all places. My step-dad, Ren, whizzed up a double (or, you know, it might have been a triple batch; my memory is a little hazy) batch of Brandy Alexanders. They were part dessert, part cocktail and completely delicious. (I should mention, too, that while they might look like an innocent milkshake, they are quite a boozy milkshake. My grandma had two (!) and proceeded directly to bed.)

brandyalex6

As I drained my glass, I proclaimed that I had settled on a New Years Eve menu: a punch bowl full of frothy, creamy, boozy Brandy Alexanders, into which I would plunge two straws—one for me, one for Kevin. Throw in some noisemakers and we would have a par-tay.

brandyalexlast

In the end, I’m taking the menu in a more restrained direction. One that’s less prone to pounding headaches—of the brain freeze or morning-after variety. (Like I said: early morning flight). But I can’t wait to make these again soon. And, if you’re looking for a cocktail for your New Years soiree (one that can double as dessert, no less!), look no further. Happy New Year, everyone!

Brandy Alexanders
Recipe by Ren*

Printable Recipe

1 part Brandy
1 part Kahula, plus 1/2 teaspoon per drink for garnish
Vanilla ice cream (the chef prefers Breyers), to thickness
Whole nutmeg, to freshly grate for garnish

Mix equal parts brandy and Kahula and a conservative amount of vanilla ice cream in a blender. Add additional ice cream and blend until the mixture reaches the consistency of a milkshake. Pour into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a 1/2 teaspoon Kahula and a dusting of freshly-grated nutmeg

* This recipe is a little loosey-goosey and for that I apologize. He’s a fantastic cook who rarely follows recipes, so it’s a miracle I got a recipe out of him at all.

1. Monica h says on December 30 2008 at 11:18 pm:

We make something similar, but it has rum, brandy, and bourbon with melted vanilla ice cream and a pinch of nutmeg. Mr. H is making some right now!

Cheers!

2. whitneyinchicago says on December 30 2008 at 11:43 pm:

Can’t go wrong with Kahula! I also will laying low for an early flight (Orlando-not NOLA). I hope you go get a muffaltetta (sp??) at Central Grocery and cafe au lait at Cafe de Monde of course. Go explore Magazine Street. It was still very fun and quaint, even after Katrina.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Hopefully I will find someone to have an early drink with tomorrow, since EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, is elsewhere :-/

3. sue bette says on December 31 2008 at 6:48 am:

Loving the cocktails, I’ll have to give these a try – what an awesome time to head down to New Orleans – get yourself a po’boy!

4. Emily says on December 31 2008 at 11:05 am:

Mmmm… These look pretty delightful, and it’s a mere 11:00 in the morning. Have a great trip!!

5. Polly says on December 31 2008 at 6:25 pm:

YUM! I love any drink with nutmeg (probably because it usually means I’m lounging on a tropical beach with a rum concoction called a Painkiller). I can’t wait to whip up a batch. Have a great time in the Crescent City, what a fabulous way to kick off the new year!

6. CT says on December 31 2008 at 6:43 pm:

Mmm, that sounds good.
    Don’t forget the beignets at Cafe du Monde, and if you have time, try Napoleon House (500 Chartres) for the muffaletta…better/less crowded than Central Grocery.
    Have fun!
    Happy New Year’s!

7. Sohail Ahmed says on December 31 2008 at 11:08 pm:

wow… I was looking for the same from past one hour… thanks for the post, it’s really great.

- Sohail

8. Tails says on January 01 2009 at 2:17 pm:

This is great! 100x thanks from me! Oh and Happy New Year, of course! :)

9. Dawn in CA says on January 02 2009 at 6:24 pm:

Oh my – brandy alexanders. Now that’s a drink I have not heard mentioned in a long while. Love these! They are dangerous, though… ;)

10. Andrea [bella eats] says on January 04 2009 at 10:29 am:

These remind me of Dickie Brennan’s Brandy Milk Punch…check them out while you’re in NOLA! http://www.bourbonhouse.com/

11. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on January 04 2009 at 9:14 pm:

Monica: Mr. H sounds like a real catch! : )

whitney: Hope you had a great trip!

sue bette: We ate so, so well. What a city!

Emily: Considering you were on break when you read that comment (I think, right?), I see nothing wrong with a boozy milkshake before noon.

Polly: I agree, the nutmeg kicks it up a bit.

CT: Beignets, yes! But, sadly, the olive aversion (which I have tried very hard to kick, believe you me) got in the way of muffalettas.

Sohail Ahmed: Glad you found it!

Tails: To you too!

Dawn: Yes, dangerous, in deed.

Andrea: We walked by Bourbon House a bunch but never made it in.

12. Jonathan says on January 05 2009 at 7:50 pm:

ohhhhh… the second i saw that picture i said, “BRANDY ALEXANDER!!!”. we ordered one at this old-school puerto rican restaurant up the street. their drink list looked like it was written in 1948 with drink names i’d never heard of. let’s just say there ain’t nothing like downing a thick brandy alexander before tucking into a huge plate of mofongo! tummy ache ensued…

13. cat says on January 07 2009 at 5:12 pm:

We always called these Mom’s Milkshakes and they were served after midnight on Christmas Eve. We’ve carried the tradition on with our now grown son. But it’s really supposed to have creme de cacao instead of Kaluha. And yes, they pack quite a punch.

14. currysam says on July 28 2009 at 3:23 pm:

Hello, I am newbie, I want to ask how mcuh is 1 part? Is it mean 1oz?

15. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 28 2009 at 3:33 pm:

Hi currysam. The recipe is in “parts” so that you can adjust it to the quantity you’re looking for. If you used 1 oz of brandy, you would also use 1 oz of Kahlua. Add ice cream a scoop at a time until you reach the consistency of a thick milk shake. Enjoy!

16. Ali Weber says on December 09 2010 at 6:26 pm:

I sure could go for one of these tonight; care to join me? Simply delicious!

17. [...] Brandy Alexander (from the kitchen sink) [...]