a new home (+ cookies!)

February 09 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Milestone,Recipe » 35 comments

cookies1

Welcome to the new and improved The Kitchen Sink.  It’s a whole new look and a new address too (which means you’ll need to update your subscriptions; you can do so by clicking that orange button in the sidebar).   I feel a bit like a renter who’s just bought her first home.   While previous layouts felt temporary, this new site really feels like it’s mine.  There will be a bit more responsibility (like a mortgage, I suppose) but also a lot more freedom (renovations!).  We’ve been tweaking for a while, so I’ve had some time to settle in.  I hope you’ll soon feel right at home here too.

mosaic

What’s that?  You’d like a tour?  Of course!  The same old Recipe Index is right here.  Stay tuned for a Menu Index soon too.  And then there’s the About page, which has the same photo, which, come to think of it, could maybe use an update.  You can contact me by email, as usual, but you now contact me on this page too.  See, not so different is it?

cookies3
cookies4

Selecting the first recipe for the new site felt somehow important.  I thought about trotting out an old standby, like banana bread.  Or going back to the ever-controversial granola bars.  But, in the end, I wanted to do something new.  And what could be more fitting than a Kitchen Sink Cookie recipe?  (Kitchen Sink?  Ya get it?  Clever, I am.)

cookies5

Kitchen Sink Cookies are loaded with all manner of mix-ins: chocolate (chopped, chips or candy-coated), dried fruit (raisins or dried cherries, cranberries or apricots), nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts) and whatever other miscellaneous ingredients you have in your baking pantry (oats, coconut, peanut butter).  In other words, they’re packed with everything but The Kitchen Sink.

cookies6

It also just seemed right to develop a recipe of my own for the occasion.  This is a housewarming party of sorts, after all.  Creating a recipe from scratch also gave me the chance to use my favorite ingredients (very dark chocolate, whole wheat pastry flour, rolled oats, chewy dried cherries, toasted almonds, unsweetened coconut) while curbing the bad (for you) stuff (sugar, butter, eggs) a bit, without compromising the end product.

cookies7

In the end, I think these little cookies (about the size of a standard yo-yo) are the perfect recipe to start this new chapter.  They’re also quite delicious: chewy and a bit caramely.  And the assortment of fillings keeps it interesting.  Which is exactly what I plan to do here in this new space.

cookieslast

A big Thank You to Brad and Chris at WebDevStudios.com, who handled the transfer and redesign.

Kitchen Sink Cookies

Printable Recipe

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup regular oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter,  room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate (about two ounces)
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup chopped, toasted almonds
2 tablespoons  unsweetened coconut
fine grain sea salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.  Line two baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter until creamy.  Beat in the vanilla,  egg and corn syrup.  With the mixer on low speed,  slowly add flour mixture, beating until just combined. Fold in the remaining ingredients.

Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.  Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sea salt (optional). Bake for 11 to 13 minutes (if baking both sheets at the same time,  switch the sheets from top to bottom and rotate from front to back halfway through the baking time).  Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a couple minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container.

1. ashley (sweet & natural) says on February 09 2009 at 6:25 pm:

Congratulations! And great cookies. :-)

2. Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer says on February 09 2009 at 6:37 pm:

LOVE the new digs :-D

:: adding new site to my reader ::

3. Gena says on February 09 2009 at 7:08 pm:

Kris,

House warming party?

Congrats on new site. Looks terrific.

gk

4. Amanda Boyce says on February 09 2009 at 7:14 pm:

I love the new look. I’d fedex a bottle of champagne in the blog’ new owner but it’d never survive the trip :)

5. Whitney Merritt says on February 09 2009 at 7:44 pm:

I am uber-impressed. I LOVE the new site. Congrats on your upgrade :)

6. Andrea [bella eats] says on February 09 2009 at 8:07 pm:

Beautiful new site Kristin!!! Congratulations on your new home, I can’t wait to see it grow. :)

7. Macy says on February 09 2009 at 8:21 pm:

Congrats on your new home! The layout is loooovely. I love the color combo. (:

8. Shannalee says on February 09 2009 at 8:23 pm:

The new look is beautiful. Love it – especially the recipe index, which is so sleek. Updated my subscription!

9. Andrea [bella eats] says on February 09 2009 at 10:05 pm:

PS: I love that your plates in your first post match the new design…nicely done.

10. ronnissweettooth says on February 09 2009 at 10:28 pm:

The site looks great. So do the cookies. I’ll skip the coconut, but the chocolate with the cherries is making my mouth water.

11. Ellen says on February 10 2009 at 12:52 am:

the new site is beautiful! it’s quite the coincidence that i made cookies very similar to these tonight as well. i called them “garbage cookies” because they contained a bunch of remnants from other recipes: whole wheat flour, oats, roasted peanuts, an extremely ripe banana, chopped extra-dark chocolate and raisins. your version sounds even better!

12. Fenke says on February 10 2009 at 1:07 am:

since i was the first to give a negative comment on the other new layout, i now feel the urge to say: LOVE this one.

13. Alanna @ Kitchen Parade says on February 10 2009 at 5:53 am:

Use FeedBurner to forward all the existing feeds to your new one, that way no one need do anything, you lose no readers.

14. Shannon says on February 10 2009 at 6:56 am:

Great site – great updates.

15. radish says on February 10 2009 at 9:54 am:

Looks lovely – congratulations on the newly redesigned look!! I’m totally behind on my updates – need to fix a few things … And the cookies are making me hungry!

16. Ceres says on February 10 2009 at 12:25 pm:

I just discovered your blog and I am glad that I did. Your cookies look amazing! What a great way to use up all of those extra pantry ingredients or maybe even the remnants of a good bag of trail mix.

17. Amy says on February 10 2009 at 12:35 pm:

Great new site, Kristin! Congrats on the move! :)

18. finsmom says on February 10 2009 at 2:12 pm:

A beautiful new site, with beautiful cookies to match! I am jelous of both!

19. heather says on February 10 2009 at 2:34 pm:

Nothing like a welcome batch of cookies! Bravo – the new site looks great.

Cheers,

*Heather*

20. Dawn in CA says on February 10 2009 at 4:35 pm:

Thanks for inviting us to your housewarming party! The new digs look great, as does the cookie recipe. I’ve updated my address book. ;)

21. Carolina says on February 10 2009 at 5:57 pm:

Welcome to your new home! It looks beautiful. Thanks for letting us see it.

22. Emily says on February 10 2009 at 6:42 pm:

Congrats! I love the new site, and I can’t wait to try the cookies. You have never steered me wrong!

23. Karen says on February 10 2009 at 7:01 pm:

Nice new place! Hope you are enjoying “home ownership”. ;) Big thanks from your readers for you wonderful blog!

24. Deelish Dish says on February 10 2009 at 9:35 pm:

Love the new site! Really clean and pretty :)

25. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 11 2009 at 11:40 am:

Thanks, everyone! You all are the nicest welcome wagon a girl could ask for. : )

Andrea: The blue plates were a coincidence, I swear!

Ellen: I like the idea of adding ripe bananas.

Alanna: Thanks — I’ll look into that.

I hope you guys try the cookies. If so, let us know how they come out!

26. Melissa says on February 11 2009 at 3:03 pm:

Not so different. Very easy on the eyes, with great organization.

And you kind of look like Deb (sk). As you know since you read her, I totally mean that as a compliment.

Congratulations on the transition Kristin!

27. Gretchen Noelle says on February 12 2009 at 4:50 am:

What a wonderful feeling it must be to invite guests into your new home. It looks wonderful, refreshing and inviting. Great job!

28. Betsy says on February 12 2009 at 10:20 am:

Cute new layout – congrats on your new site. Those cookies look delicious and healthy!

29. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 15 2009 at 8:20 pm:

Melissa: A compliment, indeed.

Gretchen: Thanks!

Betsy: Thank you!

30. Shannon says on February 16 2009 at 1:18 pm:

I made these cookies for my hubby for Valentine’s Day (actually 3 batches) on Friday. Between the two of us we only have a dozen left this morning (Monday). Should I be embarrased? Nah….

31. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 17 2009 at 1:46 pm:

Shannon: Great to hear! And, don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. : )

32. Sarah says on February 17 2009 at 2:11 pm:

Wow, wow, wow! Love the new look! It’s so clean, so modern, and really shows off your gorgeous photos. Well done!

33. robin says on February 19 2009 at 5:57 pm:

Congrats on your new site! I’m ashamed to say I just found out about it. Really beautiful and it seems like it fits perfectly. Really, really happy for you, Kristin!!

34. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 20 2009 at 4:53 pm:

Sarah: Thank you!

robin: Thanks so much!

35. Everything Oat Bars « Nutrition.Health.Life says on November 30 2010 at 5:29 am:

[...] to see these fall from the number one stop for a long time. Everything Oat Bars recipe from The Kitchen Sink [...]