out of the woods?

February 20 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 21 comments

cupcakeslast

Are we out of the woods on peanut phobia yet?  I sure hope so, because I have been holding onto this recipe for way too long.  I’ve been trigger shy about posting this recipe for chocolate cupcakes for a few weeks now because it involves peanut butter, which is all well and good if you’re, say, my husband.  But I know a good chunk of people out there have been steering clear of America’s favorite slatherable substance, given the recent recall.

cupcakes2

I hope we can get back to our normal peanut buttered ways soon, but if you’re not ready, I understand.  That said, I still urge you to stick around for the truly unmissable part of this recipe, which is the chocolate cupcakes themselves.   It’s a devil’s food cake-type recipe, so dark they’re almost black and so moist and rich that they’ll leave even the lactose intolerant clamoring for a swig of milk.  But that’s not all.  They’re also studded with chunks of dark chocolate and liberally infused with cinnamon.  They are, in short, a cupcake that is perfect in every way.

cupcakes3

And anyway, the peanut butter in these photos is only in the frosting.  That glorious frosting emerging from my (brand! new!) pastry bag is a peanut butter buttercream and it’s just my kind of decadent.  I used a natural peanut butter in the recipe, a brand that’s usually shot through with visible little flecks of the nut itself and, happily, those came through in the frosting as well.  The combination of peanut butter, chocolate and cinnamon is really the top banana in my book (come to think of it, banana would be a lovely flavor note there too).  But, again, I understand that peanut butter is a bit of a pariah at the moment.

cupcakes4

So!  I’m happy to report that these cupcakes can be successfully topped with just about any frosting you can imagine.  For my friend Emily’s bridal shower, I topped them with an almond cream cheese frosting and, to tell you the truth, I preferred that pairing.  (Kevin, for the record, much preferred the peanut butter combination).

cupcakes5

As I mention above, the pastry bag is new, so I’m a bit of a novice there.  I was going for a frosting style similar to this one, but decided to use squat dots, rather than stars.  I’m happy to report that round two with the pastry bag (for Emily’s shower) went a bit better (alas, no photos).  But I think with a homey combination like chocolate and peanut butter, even a simple slather would do the trick.

cupcake

1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (about 7 ounces) mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray insides of 30 paper molds with nonstick spray; arrange paper molds on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Sift flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into large bowl. Combine sugar, coffee, buttermilk, oil, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla in another large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg mixture until blended. Add dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed until blended, scraping bowl occasionally, about 4 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each paper mold. Bake cupcakes, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and center is just firm to touch, about 24 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to racks and cool completely.

Peanut Butter Buttercream recipe here.

Almond Cream Cheese Frosting recipe here.

1. Whitney Merritt says on February 20 2009 at 6:26 pm:

I love the plate is the first picture! Such a pretty color.

Isn’t it sad that we get one recall after another? I guess that happens with industrialization of our food (and lax regulations of the past).

2. Whitney Merritt says on February 20 2009 at 6:26 pm:

I love the plate is the first picture! Such a pretty color.

3. ashley (sweet & natural) says on February 20 2009 at 6:46 pm:

This is cupcake perfection! I love chocolate and PB together. And I have not been scared by the recent situation. My jar is happily unopened and in use!

4. robin says on February 20 2009 at 6:53 pm:

So pretty – your frosting job was superb, Kristin. And, oh man, no threat could keep me away from pb.

5. Christina says on February 20 2009 at 8:38 pm:

Beautiful cupcakes! I love the hershey-kiss-style frosting.

6. Monica H says on February 20 2009 at 11:49 pm:

Those cupcakes sound and look delish! I think I’d prefer the almond cream cheese over the PB. I must make these cupcakes soon. Can’t go wrong with chocolate, PB. cinnamon and coffee!

7. Gena says on February 21 2009 at 9:17 am:

You know what’s not fair? The fact that I am trying to get back to my fighting weight and you are posting gorgeous chocolate cupcakes for which (for the first time EVER!)-i have all the correct ingredients right in my fridge.

Oh well, looks like cupcakes for breakfast it is!

8. Mimi says on February 21 2009 at 6:42 pm:

Is there supposed to be cream cheese in the frosting???

9. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 22 2009 at 8:04 am:

Whitney: Thanks!

robin: Agree. It’s too much of a staple.

Christina: It does look like kisses!

Monica H: So true.

Gena: Well there is coffee in there. That’s breakfast-y right?

Mimi: Shoot! I had the wrong link. Thanks for catching that. It’s fixed now.

10. Emily says on February 22 2009 at 11:08 am:

I might daydream about these on a regular basis.

11. holler says on February 22 2009 at 11:32 am:

chocolate, cinnamon and coffee, yum! And I would love that topping! I think we missed out on the scare here, I didn’t hear about it anyway.

12. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 22 2009 at 7:06 pm:

Emily: You *do* love your cupcakes. Glad you liked these. : )

holler: Lucky you!

13. Amy says on February 22 2009 at 7:55 pm:

Oh yuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! I am completely on board with the PB…they look fantastic, Kristin. Have fun with your new pastry bag – I love a fat tip!

14. ovenhaven says on February 24 2009 at 7:59 am:

I love that there’s cinnamon in these devil’s food cupcakes! I must definitely give em a try. You’ve got everything going in these lil cups, with peanut butter to boot!

ps: Absolutely loving your new site, btw :)

15. Marianne says on February 24 2009 at 10:24 am:

Those look lovely. Peanut butter & chocolate is such a classic combo! And there’s no reason to fear the peanut butter you get in the jars, it’s the industrial stuff that is being recalled.

16. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on February 26 2009 at 8:18 pm:

Amy: I thought of your (Ina’s) PB/chocolate cupcakes when I made these. So good.

ovenhaven: Thank you!

Marianne: When I wrote this post, I checked out the list. There were some jarred varieties on it too. I was surprised.

17. ingrid says on February 27 2009 at 1:17 pm:

I’m not scared….LOL, of course except in baked goods I stay away from peanut butter.

I love how you frosted your cupcakes. So cute.

Oh, for the first time I added a bit of cinnamon to some chocolate frosting I made , WOW! Everyone who’s been adding it all this time are genuises!
    ~ingrid

18. ingrid says on February 27 2009 at 1:19 pm:

Okay, I got a little happy pressing the submit button. I meant to also say that next up will be trying a bit of coffee in with the chocolate.

:-) ~ingrid

19. Tabitha (From Single to Married) says on March 12 2009 at 3:14 am:

Wow – talk about a little piece of heaven! And I’m with you – I think I would prefer the almond cream cheese frosting because anything with cream cheese in it is good. Of course there’s only one way to find out…

20. Julianna says on September 18 2009 at 8:19 pm:

These look delicious! I love those the baking cups. Where did you find them?

21. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 19 2009 at 5:38 am:

Julianna: Thanks! The cups were a gift from my aunt. She bought them for me on a trip to Europe.