take two

March 29 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Bread,Breakfast,Recipe » 24 comments

bananabread

I spent a good part of Saturday engaged in that greatest of all post-winter rituals: Spring Cleaning. As always, it was necessary, cathartic, and, in the end, exhausting.  I must say, I had envisioned my Spring Cleaning to be, well, a little more Spring-like.  I pictured myself throwing open the windows, letting in the sounds of birds chirping (and the rumbling El train, too, of course) and a gentle breeze.  Instead, given the frigid forecast, I cranked up the heat and proceeded to banish my sweaters to storage.  In a cruel twist of fate, it would begin snowing that very night leaving me sweaterless and shivering on a cold Sunday morning.  Hrmph.

bbread2

But aside from my sweaterless-ness, I discovered the same thing I do every time I go on a cleaning binge—hidden treasure.  I rediscovered a few old favorites that had been hanging in my closet, shoved to the edges, forgotten for months.   I unearthed a couple gems in the kitchen too: my apron (why did I stop wearing it?); a vanilla bean tucked in the back corner of a cupboard (not exactly a gold dubloon, but close); three speckled bananas at the bottom of a bowl of fruit sitting on the counter.

bbread3
bbread4

In the spirit of rediscovering and repurposing—the best parts of Spring Cleaning, if you ask me—I thought I’d put those perfectly ripened bananas to use in a loaf of banana bread and that I’d share my recipe with you again.  It’s been a while since the first time I posted about the banana bread and my recipe (and photography situation) has changed a little bit since then.  (Don’t worry, though—it’s still moist and fragrant and the top still splits just so as it bakes.)

bbread5

I still love this banana bread more than I can tell you.  The smell of it baking—cinnamony, homey and warm—is pure Sunday to me.  And the promise of a thick slice with my coffee, as I log in to my computer at work, is enough to make me look forward to Monday morning, just a little bit.

bbreadlast

Banana Bread

Printable Recipe

1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk, well shaken
heaping 1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups white whole-wheat flour (other flours will work, but this is my favorite)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a loaf pan; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).

Meanwhile, whisk together the mashed bananas, egg whites, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla in a medium bowl.   In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.

Once the butter-sugar mixture is light and fluffy, scrape down the bowl and, with the mixer running on low speed, add the banana mixture; beat until well combined.  With the mixer running on low speed, add the flour mixture; beat until just combined.  Do not overmix.

Pour the batter in the prepared loaf pan.  Bake for 1 hour.  Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the pan, on a rack.  Turn out onto the rack and allow to cool completely.

1. ronnissweettooth says on March 29 2009 at 8:53 pm:

This looks delicious.
    You know who makes an excellent banana bread? Molly at Orangette. Have you tried her Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Candied Ginger? Dear Lord, it’s good.

2. Whitney Merritt says on March 29 2009 at 8:53 pm:

You tempted fate by packing up your sweaters!

The short lived snow annoyed me so much because it made me skip (probably smartly) the Shuffle this morning.

Oh Chicago.

3. Carrie in Stumptown says on March 29 2009 at 9:47 pm:

Your photos are just so goddam beautiful! Thank you for the obvious care you bring to this endeavor. I enjoy reading / looking at / cooking your stuff.

I’ve been making the Moosewood’s Flaxseed Banana Bread for years. Mostly because everyone who tries it practically SWOONS and THEN they find out it’s reasonably healthy!! Yay! Next thing I know I’m brewing up another pot of joe and we’re polishing the rest of the loaf off, and it’s not even 9am!

That recipe is here:

Thanks again for your swell blog. It inspires me!

4. Amy says on March 30 2009 at 5:23 am:

Banana bread is my favorite kind of tea bread — can’t wait to try your recipe, Kristin. It sounds delicious; I love the inclusion of buttermilk and sour cream. Hooray for rediscovering things, right?

5. Tabitha (From Single to Married) says on March 30 2009 at 6:19 am:

mmm… banana bread is the perfect food. It’s sweet enough to remind me of a cake, yet it’s officially “bread” so it can be eaten as breakfasat food. Perfect!

6. Emily says on March 30 2009 at 6:49 am:

Well, I know what I’m doing tonight. I am a devout fan of the other banana bread recipe, and I can’t wait to try this one.

7. noble pig says on March 30 2009 at 9:28 am:

Spring cleaning or any cleaning always makes me hungry. This is the perfect distraction to a clean closet.

8. The Duo Dishes says on March 30 2009 at 11:09 am:

Never too much banana bread. Not possible.

9. Hayley says on March 30 2009 at 11:52 am:

Love the pictures. The bread sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

10. Treehouse Chef says on March 30 2009 at 2:06 pm:

I love Bananna bread, but have never made it. This recipe looks good so I will give it a try. I have a friend that makes delicious Bananna bread at Christmas for which I am thankful.

11. Chocolate and Toast says on March 30 2009 at 5:55 pm:

Yum! I can’t believe how long it has been since I’ve made banana bread–isn’t it strange how things come and go in life, even recipes? This is the perfect cure for my gray-sky “blues” right now, thanks!

12. Brenda says on March 30 2009 at 6:34 pm:

I’ve recently discovered (and LOVE) your site. Great photos and gorgeous writing. I must make this one for my boys. :) Have a lovely day!

13. Matt says on March 31 2009 at 7:03 am:

How did you know I had 3 ripe bananas sitting at home yesterday? It’s almost as if this recipe was posted just for me. haha

I thoroughly enjoyed making this bread last night, and it turned out great! Next time I’m going to add some crushed walnuts for a little extra texture. (I’m a big fan of the banana nut bread served on the Disney cruiseships!)

14. suzy says on March 31 2009 at 3:09 pm:

wooow, that looks really awesome! i’m a junkie for banana bread myslef:) my favourite favourite favourite EVER recipe actually comes from an old sesame street book and i think it was called ‘big bird’s banna bread’:) i should make it soon!

15. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on March 31 2009 at 6:42 pm:

ronnissweettooth: Ooooh, she was certainly convincing in her book. Sounded delicious.

Whitney: Oh no! So sorry you missed the shuffle, but, like you said, probably for the best.

Carrie: Thank you! You know, I had a slice of banana-flax bread in Banff this weekend and it was wonderful.

Amy: Absolutely!

Tabitha: Amen. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner—and dessert. : )

Emily! You have to let me know what you think (though it’s not all that different than the old standby).

noble pig: Ha! That’s my kind of rationalization.

The Duo Dishes: Couldn’t agree more.

Hayley: Thanks!

Chocolate and Toast: It’s time!

Brenda: Thank you so much! I hope you give it a try.

Matt: Instant feedback! Wonderful. So glad you liked it.

suzy: I like that — “banna” bread.

16. suzy says on April 01 2009 at 3:42 pm:

haha, ok, that’s a typo on my part!:)
    but to be fair, my aussie husband frequently says he has ‘nanas’ for breakfast, so i guess ‘banna’ is not that far off!

17. Tails says on April 02 2009 at 1:52 am:

I’d love to make this!! Quick questions, does one have to use buttermilk; if not – can one omit it completely or what does it get replaced with; and finally what is buttermilk (wondering if we get that in South Africa)?

18. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 02 2009 at 3:58 am:

suzy: I completely thought you meant to say “banna” — it just sounds so Sesame Street. Ha!

Tails: Here are some thoughts on substitutes, but milk will work just fine. That’s what I used for years. I’ve only recently started using buttermilk.

19. dawn says on April 07 2009 at 4:04 pm:

i love buttermilk in breads…this looks tasty

20. Prissy says on April 30 2009 at 3:41 pm:

Banana bread is practically a staple in my husbands family.I make it mostly in cool weather. Sometime for something extra frost a loaf with buttercream or cream cheese icing with a little peanut butter in it. The combination is killer!

21. Chaya says on July 14 2009 at 8:27 am:

My husband loves bananas but thinks he doesn’t like banana bread. I think I am going to try your recipe and see what happens. It looks worth the chance.

22. Caroline says on October 16 2010 at 11:03 am:

I just made this and I must say it’s oh-so-delicious! It was my first homemade banana bread, too, and I looked for a healthy version using whole-wheat flour specifically but I was still scared the whole wheat flavor would be too overpowering (I don’t mind, but hubby might)! Just had a slice while it was cooling on the oven rack (couldn’t wait) and I’m totally tempted to go back for another slice! I didn’t have any regular sugar on hand so I used 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 honey and also added some chopped pecans in the batter and sprinkled some on top! I am happy to have used this recipe for my first banana bread, love it! :) Thanks!

23. Banana Bread « Nutrition.Health.Life says on November 29 2010 at 12:06 pm:

[...] that I could attempt to enjoy. I got lucky this past spring when I stumbled across the recipe at The Kitchen Sink Recipes. This recipe is so good that I didn’t even have to try to make myself like it – I loved [...]

24. Dawn says on November 13 2011 at 6:14 am:

I have used this recipe before wrote it down and lost it been looking for this site for ages becuse I could remember what the site name was this was so easy to make I ended up making 3 batches in one night just so I could get a slice my hubby and threes kids devoured the first two in a blink didnt even wait for the bread to cool straight from the oven to their bellies again thank you for posting this recipe