only seems fair

April 20 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Beef,Recipe,Salad » 13 comments

thaisteak

I had such high hopes for this salad.  It promised color and crunch and punchy flavors—all the things I’m yearning for these days.  And my sister, in town for a mere two weeks, had specially requested some type of salad featuring Asian flavors.  I was aiming to please—both Ali, and her request, and myself, with my springish tastes.  But, well, but.

thaisteak2

I left the steak on the grill a minute or two too long (out of practice), the dressing was a bit sweet, the mint was overpowering.   But as Kevin, Ali and I tucked into it last week, none of us complained.  Not one little whine.

thaisteak3

You see, it’s a treat to be together again—the Family Dinner Crew reunited.  Plus, that night, at least, it was warm and sunny and we were basking in Spring: sockless and smiling.  Oh, and there is the matter of the extended happy hour we partook in just before eating this salad.  I think that helped too.

thaisteak4

Would I make it again?  Not without significant tweaks: slashing the amount of sugar, dialing back the mint, punching up the pepper flakes.  That said, I’m thrilled to have the same dinner company this week.   The weather has since taken a turn for the worst (snow?  really?), so I am hoping that the food will take a turn for the best.  It only seems fair.

thaisteak5

The recipe for this Thai Steak Salad is here.

1. noble pig says on April 20 2009 at 8:45 pm:

I hate when that happens.

2. Half Assed Kitchen says on April 20 2009 at 9:05 pm:

Oh, so frustrating. I made a potato gratin tonight that I hoped to feature on my blog…it was flavorful, but too watery.

Your photos of this salad are stunning! You’d never know it was anything but fabulous.

3. Culinary Cory says on April 21 2009 at 6:59 am:

The salad looks really pretty, but I can see why it kind of fell flat. Thanks for sharing, I actually had this one on my list of things to try. Now I know, it will need some rework.

4. Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats says on April 21 2009 at 7:22 am:

Well it least it LOOKS gorgeous!! I made a salad you posted last year – with corn, avacados, and a sour cream & lime dressing – it was to die for! :D

5. Jacqui says on April 21 2009 at 8:13 am:

i’m in chicago too, and i feel your pain. but it’s supposed to be 80 by the weekend! imagine the possibilities!

beautiful salad. glad to hear it didn’t dampen your spirits, even though it wasn’t as wow as you had hoped.

6. Melissa says on April 21 2009 at 10:54 am:

Oh, Martha. Your pictures are appealing but your recipes often need tweaking.

Thanks for the review – better luck (and warmer days) next time!

7. maggie (p&c) says on April 21 2009 at 11:07 am:

Looks gorgeous! So colorful…but shouldn’t there be fish sauce in the dressing? Sometimes Martha shies away from authentic ingredients, but I bet it would really help!

I liked the dressing on this salad and I bet it would be good with steak: http://www.pithyandcleaver.com/?p=166 (The crab we got actually wasn’t perfect, so I’ll definitely be making it next time with something else!)

8. Mia says on April 21 2009 at 2:57 pm:

Yes, I agree with Maggie – this needs some fish sauce! And some rice vinegar, I think. And if you subbed some cabbage for the romaine….yum yum yum!

9. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 21 2009 at 3:03 pm:

noble pig: Me too. Sigh.

Half Assed Kitchen: Nothing worse than a watery gratin. I’ve been there. : )

Culinary Cory: If you find a successful tweak, let us know!

Kristin: Ooooh, I love that one. Can’t wait for corn season …

Jacqui: Oh, I absolutely cannot wait for the weekend. 80 seems too good to be true (but I’m hoping it’s not!).

Melissa: My sentiments exactly.

Maggie and Mia: Great ideas, especially the fish sauce. Now you’ve got me considering giving this another go …

10. Whitney Merritt says on April 21 2009 at 3:15 pm:

Sorry that your dish wasn’t a knockout but at least it was still a family dinner!

11. Natanya says on April 21 2009 at 3:41 pm:

Sometimes the company around the dinner table more than makes up for what we consider imperfections in the food :-)

Thank you for sharing what went well (and what didn’t). On my list to try as well with the modifications suggested by all.

12. MC says on April 22 2009 at 5:46 am:

I have a recipe for an incredible Thai steak salad from my Thai friend. It is authentic, looks great, and tastes great. You grill the steak, like you did. The salad is served on a bed of green leaf lettuce. The fun things to add to the salad are the red grapes halved, grape tomatoes halved, red onion rings, cucumber pieces, peeled apple chunks, and sliced garlic. The dressing is the traditional Thai mix of sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, basil, and mint. Thai basil is a good substitute for the basil and mint combination.

13. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 27 2009 at 7:01 pm:

Whitney: So true!

Natanya: Absolutely. If you try it, let us know how it goes with the modifications.

MC: Sounds great! Thai basil is another good idea.