fall even harder

June 15 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Recipe,Spread » 51 comments

sbutter1

I’m in the throes of my early-summer torrid love affair with strawberries.  It’s an annual thing and, over the years, I’ve learned not to fight it.  Instead, I embrace it—juice stained fingers, seeds in my teeth, and all.  This year, I’ve been delighting my way through pint after pint in a few ways: strawberries sliced over a bowl of creamy yogurt, my first bites of the morning; plucked whole from the box, pinching the stem between my thumb and forefinger as I bite away the juicy flesh; baked into a simple but delicious cake.

sbutter2

But now I’ve got another strawberry destination to add to that list and it comes in the form of a small pot of strawberry honey butter.  It’s essentially a sweet spin on compound butter and, like a pouchful of fairy dust, it magically makes everything it touches taste better.

sbutter3

The process is simple: puree whole strawberries and pass them through a sieve, to strain away the seeds and any under-ripe bits.  Gently boil the puree with a squeeze of honey and lemon juice, until it reduces a bit and takes on some body.  While it cools to room temperature, pull your butter out of the fridge (if you haven’t already) so that it can soften up.  Once everything comes to room temperature, whip together the puree and butter until you’ve got a gorgeously pink and creamy bowl of butter.

sbutter4

Transfer the butter to an airtight container and promptly begin scheming up all the things you can slather the stuff on.  Along the way, you’ll fall even harder for strawberries, I can guarantee.  But you’ll also realize that this thing you’ve got going with strawberries is far too good to resist it.

Strawberry-Honey Butter
Adapted from Gourmet

Printable Recipe

1 pint strawberries, hulled
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
pinch salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened

In a food processor purée the strawberries and force the purée through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Add the honey and the lemon juice and boil the mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until it is thickened. Let the strawberry mixture cool to room temperature.  Season with salt, to taste.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, begin to cream together the butter and the strawberry mixture until it is blended but not yet smooth.  Beat the mixture in the stand mixer for several minutes, until the butter becomes smooth and creamy.  Let the butter stand, covered, in a cool place for 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

1. Katie says on June 15 2009 at 8:44 pm:

Yummm…sounds wonderful. I acvtually like strawberry butter even with the bits of strawberry and seeds! It’s sooooo good!

2. Half Assed Kitchen says on June 15 2009 at 10:31 pm:

I know that I am missing out on something great by not liking strawberries. Sigh. They sure are pretty, though.

3. Egle says on June 15 2009 at 11:10 pm:

This sounds interesting. I’m just curious how long this can stay in the refrigerator not being used?

4. Erin says on June 16 2009 at 12:22 am:

I LOOOOOOOVE strawberry butter!

5. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) says on June 16 2009 at 1:03 am:

Yumm.. The first picture was enough to make me want to make these! Great job :)

6. Susie's Homemade says on June 16 2009 at 3:42 am:

Ok…I am soooooo bookmarking this recipe!! Yummo:-)

7. Meagan Abraham says on June 16 2009 at 4:42 am:

That looks and sounds divine! Am going to tr getting my hands on some even tho its not strawberry time in the southern hemisphere!

8. Kim says on June 16 2009 at 5:20 am:

That looks so yummy, thank you for posting this recipe! I can not wait until I make it.

9. nik says on June 16 2009 at 7:08 am:

YUM! Thank you SO much. I bought strawberries from the farmers market this last weekend and have been looking for the perfect recipe with which to use them. In addition to the ‘strawberry bread pudding’ I am making, THIS will be perfect! I may need to run to the other market today and pick up some more… I am so happy they are finally in season. Thx again.

10. Emily says on June 16 2009 at 8:26 am:

I’m having visions of this slathered on your almond poppy seed bread. It’s so pretty, too.

11. oneshotbeyond says on June 16 2009 at 8:26 am:

only you would come up with such a heavenly butter…WOW!

12. Jenn says on June 16 2009 at 9:27 am:

I’ll be making this immediately. It looks fantastic!
    Thanks for sharing :)

13. culinspiration says on June 16 2009 at 10:59 am:

I love making quick jam: a generous handful of strawberries, chopped; 1 peeled chopped peach; juice of half a lemon, and sugar to taste. Simmer 15 min. and blend to desired consistency with a potato masher. Pour into a container and use within 2 weeks. *Bliss.*

14. Jen says on June 16 2009 at 12:03 pm:

This strawberry butter is delightfully pink and pretty. Will serve as a perfect “brunch” gift!

15. Marianne says on June 16 2009 at 12:10 pm:

That sounds like it would be amazing on some toasted english muffins, or perhaps waffles, so that you have the crevaces to collect the melty strawberry butter goodness :)

16. Whitney Merritt says on June 16 2009 at 1:22 pm:

I know what I am doing with my next quart. Great idea!

17. Sues says on June 16 2009 at 1:31 pm:

I think I’m going to have to make this as part of our strawberry series! I really need to find a good mason jar!

18. Cookin' Canuck says on June 16 2009 at 8:44 pm:

How fantastically decadent! I’m afraid to make this b/c I know I wouldn’t be able to stop eating it.

19. Sara says on June 16 2009 at 9:15 pm:

I had strawberry butter this winter (yeah winter) at the Popover Cafe in NYC. On popovers, of course! I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Thanks for the recipe!

20. tara says on June 17 2009 at 7:32 am:

Local berries are just due in season this week – we actually have a strawberry festival to attend this weekend – so your timing is perfect. This looks sublime.

21. culinspiration says on June 17 2009 at 11:04 am:

Sara — Popover Cafe rocks! Love that place.

22. Sarah says on June 17 2009 at 11:33 am:

When I was little, sometimes my mom would take me to a restaurant in Austin, TX called Chez Fred. I would always order a croissant and it was always served with strawberry butter. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe!

23. Risa says on June 17 2009 at 1:55 pm:

This is such a great concept and one I have never heard of!

24. BigSis says on June 17 2009 at 6:44 pm:

That looks incredible…like summer in a jar! This is the perfect time of year to make it. I hear it screaming to be slathered on a hot biscuit, or even plopped onto a bowl of steaming Irish oatmeal. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

25. Paula says on June 19 2009 at 9:20 am:

I made this last night, and it was delicious! Thank you so much.

26. ingrid says on June 19 2009 at 1:00 pm:

I’ve already printed the recipe out and added another pint of strawberries to the grocery list!
    Thanks and I love the jar you stored yours in!
    ~ingrid

oh,oh, how long does it last in the fridge? Thx!

27. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 19 2009 at 1:05 pm:

Thanks, everyone!

Egle, ingrid: The original recipe does not list a length of time for which you can store the butter in the fridge. Mine has been in the fridge in an airtight container (pictured above) for almost a week and is still great.

28. Treehouse Chef says on June 22 2009 at 5:28 pm:

What a great idea. I love strawberries!

29. Meg says on June 23 2009 at 10:26 am:

Can you please tell me where you got your container? It is adorable and I would love to get some!

30. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on June 23 2009 at 10:36 am:

Treehouse Chef: Thanks!

Meg: I got it at The Container Store. They had a variety of sizes.

31. Phoo-D says on June 24 2009 at 7:45 pm:

Oh my – I need to make this right away! It looks incredible and we have an abundance of bread since I started baking it once a week for the BBA challenge. Thank you for sharing this!

32. becky says on July 01 2009 at 7:26 pm:

I just made this with a pint of strawberries I got at the farmer’s market today. I didn’t have any lemon juice, so I used lime juice. The butter tastes amazing and looks so beautiful!

33. Jo Mandel-Cohen says on July 15 2009 at 1:53 am:

Hi, I am LOVING your blog. Tell me, where do you buy these delightful little glass airtight containers?

34. Phoo-d » Challah Bread with Strawberry Butter says on June 22 2010 at 6:21 am:

[...] accompany the Challah, I turned to this recipe for strawberry butter which caught my eye while reading The Kitchen Sink Recipes. With a pint of [...]

35. Theresa (Miss Charlotte) says on June 13 2011 at 9:10 am:

You had me at butter, and then you threw in the strawberry…oh, you wonderful enabler, you!

36. Sara says on June 29 2011 at 3:22 pm:

Hi Kristin,
    I repinned your strawberry butter pic on pinterest today and just had to follow the link because the recipe looked absolutely delicious. To.Die.For

I posted the recipe on our FB page today and noted you as the author. I also linked back to this blog posting.

If you ever want to do a product review for us, let me know. Your blog and photos are fabulous!

Thanks,
    -Sara.

37. Jodi Hobgood says on June 29 2011 at 3:40 pm:

can you use other fruit to make this?

38. Sara B says on July 05 2011 at 4:13 pm:

Do you think this could be frozen and given away as a Christmas gift?

39. Scrumptious Saturday! | Stephi Dee says on August 04 2011 at 7:05 pm:

[...] Strawberry Honey Butter. I cannot wait to try this. I’m guessing it would be extra marvelous with strawberries found at your local farmer’s market, non? [...]

40. Nikki says on August 30 2011 at 2:35 pm:

oh my! where do you get your jars/lids!?! I am in LOVE….

41. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on August 31 2011 at 4:58 pm:

Thanks, Nikki. They’re from the Container Store. (Link.)

42. Rhonda says on March 17 2012 at 12:34 pm:

This looks so delicious…I’ve tried to make it twice and I can’t get my butter and strawberry mixture to cream together. Any suggestions?

43. [...] Strawberry Butter by The Kitchen Sink Recipes [...]

44. [...] Strawberry Butter [...]

45. season of sweets | kunjulam.com says on October 30 2012 at 1:31 pm:

[...] pure deliciousness. i cant wait to go home next week so i can take a crack at this recipe again. strawberry honey butter. my god even the name makes my mouth water. i have never wanted a piece of toast so badly. This [...]

46. Tanya says on May 13 2013 at 6:46 pm:

Well I went and gave this a try earlier today, and it turned out nothing like the finished product above! The butter did not blend into the strawberry mixture, but turned into a puree with loads of little white bits of butter. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this.
    Do you have any suggestions as to why it didn’t blend? I followed your instructions exactly, and the rest of it turned out beautifully.

47. Rena says on May 29 2013 at 6:14 pm:

Tanya, I would guess that your butter wasn’t quite ‘warm’ enough. I just ran across this recipe so haven’t tried it yet.

48. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on May 30 2013 at 4:53 pm:

Tanya: I agree with Rena that your butter likely was not fully softened. You’re going for room temperature here—extremely soft and spreadable. One other possibility is that you didn’t beat the mixture long enough for it to come together. I hope you try again with better results!

49. 11 Delicious Butter Recipes says on August 03 2013 at 1:56 pm:

[...] Strawberry Honey Butter Recipe This one has a touch of honey and lemon, sounds divine. [...]

50. Strawberry Butter | says on October 09 2013 at 2:01 pm:

[...] the end of August I got a couple of pints of strawberries on sale so I decided to finally make the strawberry  butter recipe I pinned ages ago. It was so good that we ate it all (far too quickly) and I made another batch, [...]

51. Design & D.I.Y. Finds: 03/21/11 - PopBetty says on February 04 2014 at 4:23 pm:

[…] yummy thing to make for spring is strawberry butter {photo by Kitchen Sink […]