childhood favorite, revisited

June 19 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Bread,Recipe » 15 comments

cinnbr1

Most Americans of my vintage grew up eating a certain kind of breakfast: sugary bowls of cereal, fruit(ish)-filled toaster pastries, frozen waffles in a strangely yellow hue, packets of mini-donuts powdered thickly with confectioners’ sugar.  I delighted in some of these things, from time to time (my grandma, for instance, smuggled us Fruit Loops) but on the whole, they were forbidden.  Instead, we usually ate bagels, english muffins, toast.  These were typically topped with butter or peanut butter, but every so often, my mom would up the ante.

cinnbr2
cinnbr3

She’d toast slices of wheat bread, butter them to perfection (all the way to the edges; not too much, nor too little) and dust the whole thing with a shower of cinnamon and sugar.  Cut diagonally, this was my favorite childhood breakfast.  And, until last weekend, I’d all but forgotten it.

cinnbr4
cinnbr5

When I made that little pot of strawberry-honey butter, I told you that I began dreaming up all kinds of wonderful things that could be slathered with the pink spread.  Quickly, I settled on something cinnamony and gently sweet.  This bread was just the thing.  And one bite of the finished product harkened back to those nearly-forgotten childhood breakfasts and to my mom’s expert application of cinnamon and sugar to warm bread.

cinnbr6

Whether you slather it with strawberry-honey butter (a combination so lovely that you might just consider subsisting on it alone, for days on end) or eat it up straight up, I implore you to give this bread a try.  It’s that cinnamon-sugar toast I loved as a kid, all rolled up into one tidy loaf.  It’s a cinnamon roll with restraint.

cinnbr7

And it’s a fun project too, even if the recipe is a little odd.  Nothing beats the satisfaction (or the smell) of making a homemade loaf of bread.  And it makes a lovely breakfast.  I think even the 8-year-old me would agree.

cinnbrlast

For the recipe, I’ll send you to honey & jam, the blog where I found Martha Stewart’s Cinnamon Swirl Bread recipe (along with beautiful photos of Hannah’s loaf).

1. rose says on June 19 2009 at 10:04 am:

I used to eat that as a kid too! I forgot entirely about it until reading your post… WOW…. the soft bread, sweet, delicate crunch of sugar, the warmth of cinnamon… memory!!! This bread looks heavenly.

2. Hannah says on June 19 2009 at 10:07 am:

your pictures are so beautiful! it looks like you are using ramekins to hold the eggs – i do the same thing! haha

3. Amanda says on June 19 2009 at 10:12 am:

On the weekends when I was a kid, I’d make the ever-delightful cinnamon sugar toast just like the one you mentioned. I laugh now because I used to think that I was “making breakfast” when in reality I was using a simple toaster :) That cinnamon toast beat out any poptart or toaster strudel I’d eat during the weekday mornings.

4. Amy says on June 19 2009 at 10:39 am:

Oh my goodness! My mom used to do this same thing — shower buttered toast liberally with cinnamon and sugar, for a “treat” breakfast — and I *loved* it. It’s been way too long since I’ve made cinnamon bread…look great, Kristin!

5. Half Assed Kitchen says on June 19 2009 at 11:01 am:

Holy cow, does this look good. You’re an amazing photographer.

6. Whitney Merritt says on June 19 2009 at 11:18 am:

I loved cinnamon toast as a kid too. I was also not allowed to eat sugary cereal and got a box of Lucky Charms like 2 times a year as a treat.

7. ingrid says on June 19 2009 at 12:52 pm:

My Mom had a firm hand on us. While there were snack they were doled out very carefully. Personally I never cared for those cereal or those prepackaged snacks so it was no big deal.

Your bread looks amazing and sounds even better.
    ~ingrid

8. Constance says on June 19 2009 at 1:15 pm:

I love this bread and make it and sticky buns for my kids all the time. For those who do not care for the separation caused by the swirls, just paint your rolled out dough with some egg beaten up with a little water to loosen, sprinkle on your cinnamon sugar, roll, pinch and there you go. And, um, thick cut rye toast, slathered with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, from a bear preferably, is what memories of my grandma are made of.

9. Sues says on June 19 2009 at 2:40 pm:

I’ve actually never made my own bread before. But this? Is making me want to!! Like right now!!

10. Chocolate and Toast says on June 19 2009 at 3:45 pm:

Cinnamon Sugar Toast, I loved that as a kid! Which is actually odd, because I was in one of *those* families where we got to have sugar cereals and even-gasp-those tubes of so-called cinnamon rolls and bread-like products covered in sticky glaze. But no, the cinnamon sugar toast really was the treat! And now I need a slice, immediately.

11. Jen H says on June 19 2009 at 4:31 pm:

I LOVED cinnamon toast growing up, this bread looks delicious!

12. Cookin' Canuck says on June 19 2009 at 9:32 pm:

That’s so funny! My dad would make me cinnamon-sugar toast as a special treat and I just made it for my kids this morning. Your bread is beautiful!

13. Suz says on June 19 2009 at 10:24 pm:

Cinnamon on toast reminds me of being sick at home when Mom would bring us toast topped with applesauce and a healthy dusting of cinnamon. It was the chicken soup of breakfast.

14. Sprouted Kitchen says on June 20 2009 at 9:28 am:

ha, i completly remember my childhood consisting of toaster strudels with those frozen frosting packs. To have that metabolism again, sweet nostalgia. Great pictures!

15. mjb says on June 24 2009 at 10:46 am: