zucchini bread season

July 06 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 22 comments

zuke

The end of a long holiday weekend, I find, inspires a renewed resolve in the diet realm.  Where I was slathering a brat with mustard and reaching for another frosty beer just a day or two ago, I am now yearning for leafy greens and sparkling water.  The Fourth of July, it seems, breeds an earnest in me.  For a couple of days, that is.

zuke2

And this bread is just the post-holiday thing, ready to chase away any over-indulgences of the weekend past.  Chalk full of whole grains, super-powered flaxseed, and tangy yogurt, this bread is about as earnest as it gets.  Sure it’s got a sweetness, but it’s only a whisper.  The main ingredient of this bread is a vegetable, for pete’s sake!

zuke3

It’s a happy thing when zucchini bread season rolls around.  As if overnight, the stuff starts showing up in bakery cases and picnic baskets around July.  And each recipe is a little different.  Some involve chocolate, laced with chips or flavored with cocoa powder; some are deeply spiced; some are dark and some are more blonde; some are dense, while others are light.

zuke4

This one is hearty and tender and complex.  The chopped pecans distributed through the batter and the whole pecans that bake atop the loaf lend a nice meatiness, while a dusting of raw sugar imparts a shimmer and a sweet crunch.  And, like I said, it’s earnest enough for the Fifth, Sixth or Seventh of July.

zukelast

Zucchini-Pecan-Flaxseed Bread
Adapted from Cooking Light

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
1 cup plain yogurt
2 eggs
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Cooking spray
3 tablespoons whole pecans, toasted
1 tablespoon raw or sanding sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine flour, granulated sugar, and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Spread zucchini onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Press down firmly to remove excess liquid.

Combine yogurt, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in zucchini.

Add zucchini mixture and 1/4 cup pecans to flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle batter with 3 tablespoons whole pecans and 1 tablespoon raw sugar (optional).

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.

1. Whitney says on July 06 2009 at 8:48 pm:

Love the pecans on top!

2. Domestic Executive says on July 06 2009 at 9:16 pm:

I’ve never heard of Zucchini bread (or courgette bread for that matter. This sounds like a great way to get your vege portion yet still have some comfort.

3. Jennifer says on July 07 2009 at 4:15 am:

Oh my! YUM!!! I love how hearty and wholesome this bread is! GREAT for breakfast! I have SO much zucchini right now! :) thanks!

4. heather says on July 07 2009 at 5:36 am:

now that is MY kind of bread! looking forward to the zucchini crop!

cheers,

*heather*

5. Lee @ foodie plus 4 says on July 07 2009 at 6:30 am:

This looks fantastic and reminds me of having zucchini bread as a child when it was warm right out of the oven. Thanks for the recipe.

6. Calvine says on July 07 2009 at 7:36 am:

Why is zucchini bread just SO good? There is something about it that sets it apart from all other breads/cakes, I think. Haven’t thought to add pecans – looking forward to trying your recipe, thanks!

7. rose says on July 07 2009 at 8:38 am:

Nicely done! Looks delicious! I love your addition of flax seeds & pecans =)

8. oneshotbeyond says on July 07 2009 at 3:48 pm:

my favorite bread EVER but without the nuts. Though I love nuts in other things and on their own I never got a fancy for them in breads. Strange!

9. Mary says on July 07 2009 at 5:06 pm:

I just picked up 5 zucchini at the farmers’ market. We’ll grill a couple, and put the rest in bread. I can’t wait!

10. maris says on July 07 2009 at 6:52 pm:

This looks great. I’ve never seen a zucchini bread with chopped pecans but next time I make some I’ll definitely be trying this!

11. Rachel says on July 07 2009 at 7:33 pm:

Did you actually use a whole tablespoon of baking powder? I made this and it was great, except for a bitter taste that I think might come from too much baking powder. If you have any ideas about the bitter taste, I would appreciate it, since I would love to make this again!

12. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 07 2009 at 7:54 pm:

whitney: Thanks! Me too.

Domestic Executive: Well, welcome to the zucchini bread fold. I think you’re going to like it here.

Jennifer: For breakfast, for dessert, for a snack ….

heather: We’ll be swimming in them, before we know it.

Lee: We were more of a banana bread family growing up, but I’m making up for lost time.

Calvine: If I had to guess, I’d say it’s the texture. And, yes, give pecans a try!

rose: Thanks!

oneshotbeyond: Yes, by all means, feel free to leave them out.

Mary: Oooh, what a haul! I’m loving grilled/cooked zucchini with basil.

maris: I hope you do!

Rachel: Yes, I did. And I actually like the taste of baking powder (I’m thinking baking powder-heavy biscuits). I’m sorry you didn’t love the bitter taste. You could always amp the sugar to counteract it. Or perhaps it was a super tangy yogurt that’s at issue (though I like tangy yogurt too, so I guess I’m no help!)?

13. Winker says on July 07 2009 at 8:57 pm:

Oh thank you, thank you, thank YOU for giving me a recipe that’s not loaded with oil! The one from childhood was sooo fattening and sooo good and I’ve missed it. But now I have yours and can’t wait to make it!

14. Cookin' Canuck says on July 07 2009 at 9:06 pm:

I like the addition of flaxseed. I can get my omega-3s while enjoying a delicious bread. Perfect!

15. The Duo Dishes says on July 08 2009 at 3:16 pm:

Also love the addition of pecans. We’ve never seen anyone put nuts in their zucchini loaf.

16. Eliana says on July 13 2009 at 9:16 am:

This bread looks amazing. I don’t subscribe to cooking light so thank you very much for posting.

17. tara says on July 13 2009 at 7:04 pm:

This looks fan-freakin-tastic. Your cornbread has become a staple around here, so I am sure my family will welcome the introduction to this gorgeous loaf. It is truly one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen. Thanks so much!

18. Jo Mandel-Cohen says on July 15 2009 at 1:43 am:

Hi – this looks great – but the use of the word bread is confusing. Is this more of a cake, like banana bread?
    Jo

19. Cecilia Carr says on August 02 2009 at 10:49 am:

Dee-lish! Made two batches, one for loaves and one for mini muffins (baked 10 min. @ 400) – - adorable.

20. Kim says on September 20 2009 at 9:43 pm:

I just made this for the second time and I wanted to tell you that your bread recipes are fantastic! Between this and the banana bread I’m not sure I need to keep looking. :) I make this with wheat germ instead of flax and sour cream since I don’t use yogurt and it’s delicious and perfect for breakfast. Love the pecans on top, it looks much more professional that way. Thanks!

21. Cecilia says on July 30 2011 at 4:14 pm:

Love this recipe! thanks so much for sharing. I had to make a few changes with what I had in the fridge. My house smells delicious! Thanks again!

22. Emily says on August 08 2012 at 3:48 pm:

Could I use All purpose flour instead of the whole wheat?