last go-round

September 02 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 24 comments

peachcobbler

I know I should be digging in my heels, clinging to the last vestiges of summer with all my might.  I should be slipping out of the office at even the slightest hint of warm sun.  I should be lifting the lid of the grill every single night.  I should be roaming around farmers’ markets, arms full of juicy tomatoes and fresh corn.  I should be giving all the sundresses I own one last go-round.

apeach

But I’m just not.

apeach3

Instead, I relishing every little cool breeze that blows my way.  I’m unearthing my sweaters from storage.  I’m fantacizing about apple pies and roasted brussels spouts and rich stews.  I’m keeping an eye out for the slightest change of color in the leaves on the trees.  I’ve got it bad for fall.

apeach4

Making matters worse, the weather has turned all cool and crisp and sunshine.  The past few days have been much more late September than late August.  And, well, I love it.  I’m ready.

apeach5

But I know I’ll regret this attitude come January (not to mention February and March … and, who am I kidding, April).  So I’m trying to re-orient myself to pre-Labor Day reality.  Happily, this peach cobbler is really helping in this regard.  If there’s anything that can snap me out of my autumnal reverie, it’s a layer of diced stone fruit, sweetened up just a little, and capped with craggy, free-form biscuits.   When I pulled it from the oven, the fruit juices bubbled up along the edges of the pan and in the gaps between the biscuits, sending up that perfume that only a peach can emit.  It’s the smell of summer and it’ll be gone too soon.

Peach Cobbler
Loosely Adapted from David Lebovitz

3 to 5 peaches, depending on size, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced and chilled (plus more for the dish)
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a buttered baking dish, toss together the peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cornstarch.

In a bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and salt, the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda.  Using a pastry blender (or two knives or the tips of your fingers), cut in the butter until the mixture has a pebbly texture.  Using a fork, stir in the buttermilk.

Using two soup spoons, dollop the biscuit batter on top of the diced peaches.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the biscuits are lightly browned and the peaches are bubbling.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.

1. Amanda says on September 02 2009 at 4:05 pm:

I share the same sentiment. Fall is my favorite season. The lure of apple pies, scarves, and pumpkins fill my mind. But I shall try and enjoy what is left of this summer. And I will do that with cobbler!

2. Liz Brooks says on September 02 2009 at 4:12 pm:

Wow! So pretty and looks yummy. Fall is definitely my favorite season too, I’m already thinking apples and pumpkins:)

3. Elizabeth L. says on September 02 2009 at 7:57 pm:

Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one who was tired of being hot. It is so much easier to deal with being cold–just add your favourite sweater and make some soup!

4. Amy says on September 03 2009 at 5:43 am:

I’m so with you – I can’t wait for fall, and this weather has been just glorious lately! The cobbler looks so delicious – I love the addition of cornmeal in the biscuits.

PS – belated congrats on being featured on design*sponge!!! That sorbet looked amazing! D*s one of my favorite blogs, too. :)

5. Michele says on September 03 2009 at 6:09 am:

I love the idea of a buttermilk cornbread biscuit. I’ve never tried that, but I am going to make it today. I saw the tote bags full of apples at the store the other day, and it reminded me of cinnamon cider doughnuts. As soon as the kids start school, it seems the weather turns to fall so quickly. Thanks for that great recipe!

6. Magda says on September 03 2009 at 7:08 am:

I’m not a cornmeal person….can I use whole wheat flour instead? (same amount?)

7. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 03 2009 at 7:34 am:

Amanda: Scarves, yes! How could I forget to mention scarves? : )

Liz: Speaking of pumpkins, I just saw one of those Halloween costume shops that pops up out of nowhere every fall. I’m not sure I’m quite ready for Halloween, but fall: oh yes.

Elizabeth: Soup! Oh gosh, you all are giving me even more reasons to think fall!

Amy: Thank you!

Michele: I hope you give it a try! Let us know how it goes.

Magda: I think that would work. You can also just use all (1.5 cups) of all-purpose flour.

8. Sam@BingeNYC says on September 03 2009 at 11:07 am:

I have such a crazy love for cornmeal + fruit, in basically any combination. This looks delish!

9. Gena says on September 03 2009 at 6:35 pm:

Now that I am back and work full time and back at school full time and eating cold cuts out of the package for dinner, I am once again living vicariously through your site. This looks gorgeous, and knowing your kitchen prowess, is probably amazing.

10. annie says on September 04 2009 at 8:08 am:

I’ve got it bad for fall too, but your beautiful peach cobbler might keep me in the summer state of mind for a few more days…

looks delicious!

11. Tabitha (From Single to Married) says on September 04 2009 at 9:28 am:

Mmm… this looks fantastic! I can practically smell it! :)

12. nik says on September 04 2009 at 9:47 am:

Man, thank goodness for comments! I read this and was thinking ‘cornmeal….with fruit?!’ I dont think i have ever had that, and honestly I was kinda turned off. BUT after reading all your lovely readers comments I see that it much be pretty darn good, so I will be making this recipe soon! Thanks so much – to you and your commentors!

13. Eliana says on September 04 2009 at 10:37 am:

What a wonderful looking dessert. Have a great holiday weekend.

14. ingrid says on September 04 2009 at 10:52 am:

Looks good! I’ve got peaches and love cobbler!

Unfortunately we don’t have Fall, Spring, or Winter here. Endless summer with some warm days.
    ~ingrid

15. Jen @ MaplenCornbread says on September 04 2009 at 1:31 pm:

This looks soooooo good!! Im dying for Fall too!

16. Dolce says on September 04 2009 at 1:35 pm:

This looks really nice. The cobbler with the free form biscuits… Easy to pull together and I am sure my husband would love it as much as I would!

17. Culinary Cory says on September 07 2009 at 6:12 am:

Ohhh, I am so ready for fall. It’s my favorite season because the weather gets crisper and the comforting foods come out. Like this peach coobler. It is totally bookmarked.

18. Romaine of www.salad-in-a-jar.com says on September 07 2009 at 7:45 am:

Cool, crisp, and sunshine, eh? Like late September? Thanks for the heads up. We’re headed for Chicago tomorrow for a little vacation. It is still very much summer here in Texas so guess I better dig out the jacket.

19. Tracey says on September 07 2009 at 8:10 pm:

Cobblers are the best and this one looks terrific! I’m sort of torn between not wanting summer to end and yearning for fall to get here. I love winter, but I know I’ll be cursing come April when it’s still snowing :)

20. tracieMoo says on September 08 2009 at 7:49 am:

wow, these looks really good! I could try this. thanks for the wonderful recipe!

21. Mary Katherine says on September 08 2009 at 1:16 pm:

how large is the baking dish in these pictures? it looks deceptively small….?

22. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on September 08 2009 at 2:27 pm:

Mary Katherine: It’s definitely smaller than a 9×13 baking dish. My guess is that it is half that size. I based the recipe on a David Lebovitz recipe; there, David calls for a 10 to 12 inch glass pie plate or a 2 quart baking dish.

23. Pamela says on September 08 2009 at 10:23 pm:

This isn’t related to your peach cobbler post, but I had to post to say I tried your creamed corn recipe as a side dish with chicken marsala. Oh, my! I never knew fresh creamed corn could be so delicious! I used heavy cream instead of whole milk, and halved the recipe since it’s just my husband and me. He was thrilled! He remembers creamed corn from his childhood days growing up along the shores of Lake Michigan in WI. His grandmother was a fantastic cook, and this brought back fond memories.
    Thank you for your lovely blog, and delightful writing style. I’ll be back to check in on your recipes.

24. just peachy « beka.g.photography. says on May 18 2011 at 5:26 am: