the regular

November 23 2009 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Uncategorized » 14 comments

peasoup1

I took a little vacation from Thanksgiving this weekend.  While most Americans were just getting ramped up, I was in need of a break—listed out, planned out.  Dare I say I was over-prepared?  Prior to this weekend, I didn’t think such a thing existed.  But I might have jumped the gun, a bit, I admit, in my Thanksgiving preparation.

peasoup2

So, once I finalized my grocery list on Thursday, I barely thought about the impending holiday until Sunday afternoon.  On Friday, we spent the night at a favorite dinner spot.  Then, on Saturday, we packed our car full of chili and fixings and plenty of beers and some peanut butter brownies, and set up shop in a parking lot near Northwestern’s football stadium, along with a bunch of friends.  We cooked Italian on Saturday night and went to bed early.  Turkey and tubers and stuffing and such all seemed far, far away.  The positively un-November weather added to the illusion.  How could Thanksgiving be only a few days away when it was sixty (!) degrees and the sun was shining and the smell of grill smoke filled the air?

peasoup3

Of course, the signs of Thanksgiving were there still there, lurking in the background: the trees had long since shed their leaves; the sun set well before five o’clock; my friends and I swapped Thanksgiving menu tips at our tailgate (Brynn, if you’re reading, I really do need your grandma’s pumpkin chiffon pie recipe!).   And, when I woke up early Sunday morning, I was finally ready to get back to the business of getting ready for Thanksgiving.

peasoup4

But I eased myself back in.  We went Thanksgiving Grocery Shopping (an event fully worthy of capitalization), but only after a nice, leisurely breakfast.  And I made gravy (in the freezer, now), ice cream (to slump up alongside the pies) and some cocktail nuts for Thursday, but I did it slowly, at my own pace, mixing in some “regular” cooking along the way.

peasouplast

This soup falls squarely—blissfully—in that “regular” cooking category.  In fact, I’ve been making this soup all fall, long before we rounded this bend toward Thanksgiving.  And I adore it—it’s simple and hearty, with a faint hint of porkiness.  It’s studded with orange cubes of carrots and green wisps of thyme leaves and pink slips of diced bacon.  And it achieves the perfect split pea soup texture—just this side of a puree, most of the peas broken down and gone creamy, but plenty of the peas retaining their shape.

It’ll be just the thing to keep my energy up this week as I dig in my heels for the Thanksgiving homestretch.  If you’re more sensible than me and only just now getting started with your Thanksgiving preparation, tuck this recipe away for after the holiday, when you’re ready to return to the regular.

Split Pea Soup

Yield: 4 bowls

2 to 3 slices of thick-cut, best-quality bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock (homemade or low-sodium/store bought)
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups split peas

In a large, heavy soup pot, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until it begins to brown (about 5 minutes).  Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and thyme to the bacon; stir and cook for several minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften (about 5 minutes).  Add wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Add the stock, water and peas; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat and cook the soup over medium-low heat for an hour to an hour-and-a-half, until most of the split peas have broken down and the soup reaches your desired consistency.

1. Dawn Hutchins says on November 23 2009 at 9:04 am:

LOVE soup before gearing up for a big holiday meal. I have done two different ones over the last two weeks. I’ll have to try this next!

2. Shannalee says on November 23 2009 at 9:23 am:

Hey, Kristin, I had Sunday breakfast (well, brunch) at Milk + Honey, too! The almond croissant was maybe the best thing I’ve eaten all month.

3. Rose says on November 23 2009 at 9:34 am:

That soup looks delicious! Beautiful post. It’s so important during the holidays to not rush…to enjoy…to savor!

4. ali @ gimme some oven says on November 23 2009 at 9:56 am:

What a beautiful post!

I’m totally going to try this tonight — before the days of turkey, turkey, turkey begins. Sounds (and looks!) perfect. :)

5. Whitney says on November 23 2009 at 10:39 am:

I’ve been looking for a good split pea soup.

Happy Thanksgiving Week! (yes it deserves a week)

6. Half Assed Kitchen says on November 23 2009 at 10:55 am:

I just love your photos. You could do it professionally.

7. Big GIrls, Small Kitchen (Cara) says on November 23 2009 at 2:29 pm:

I’ve been making split pea soup all fall as well. So satisfying–and my motto apparently is “the simpler the better” as I’ve cut down more and more on ingredients.

8. Miss Jennifer says on November 23 2009 at 9:21 pm:

Looks wonderful, and the baguette is a nice addition! I’ll have to try the recipe once we’ve used up the turkey leftovers…

9. gemma says on November 24 2009 at 9:00 am:

This is the pre-thanksgiving dinner I have been looking for. Such a simple and comforting dish – and I have thyme on hand. Perfect!

10. Barbara says on November 24 2009 at 11:33 am:

Yum. Perfect!
    If it werern’t so damn hot out, I’d make some right now!

11. Melynda says on November 25 2009 at 6:36 am:

This looks great, but it is also a “small batch” recipe. With only two of us, I am in need of more and more recipes like this. Thanks.

12. Culinary Cory says on November 27 2009 at 10:29 am:

I made a ham for Thanksgiving this year. And a turkey of course! :) I’ve been thinking about making split pea soup with the leftover ham. This recipe looks perfectly easy. Great styling in the pictures.

13. Rachel says on March 15 2010 at 5:11 pm:

I know I’m coming in a bit late but I just made this soup yesterday and it totally rocked my world! I have a new found love for peas now. :)

14. Alex says on February 21 2011 at 3:03 pm:

This soup is fantastic! Perfect for these dreary days of winter. I just posted about it over on my blog and encouraged everyone to come check out the recipe and give it a try. Thanks for sharing!