scooped!

March 12 2010 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Uncategorized » 17 comments

Banana Chocolate Walnut Cake

The Internet is a funny place, especially the cranny of it into which the food-related sliver is wedged.  That sliver is a small, small world.  Take last Sunday, for example.

bancakemosaic

As far as weekends go, it was a swell one, and it was drawing to a peaceful close.  There had been a little rain and too much work, but there was also a lovely dinner at home, an even better dinner out, a warm-ish jog, a sun-bathed omelet on Sunday morning, a million errands accomplished and … well, you get the picture.

Banana Chocolate Walnut Cake

As we readied ourselves for the Oscar’s (of which we quickly grew bored, abandoning ship somewhere after the fun John Hughes tribute), a pot of soup quietly bubbled on the stove, as it so often does on Sunday afternoons.  There was magic happening in the oven, too.  Or at least it sure smelled like magic—that cinnamon-spiked scent of baked goods plumped with banana.  This banana cake also happened to be studded with chunks of dark chocolate and toasted walnuts.  I had a hunch it would be delicious and, frankly, couldn’t wait for the oven timer to ding.

Banana Chocolate Walnut Cake

In a feeble attempt to distract myself from the glorious smells of the kitchen, I sat before the computer and busied myself in the Flickr-Twitter-RSS-Facebook world.  I kid you not, as that oven timer slowly ticked, into my Google Reader popped Andrea’s latest post at Bella Eats.  There, she proclaimed the virtues of the very same cake I had in the oven.

Banana Chocolate Walnut Cake

I’d been scooped!
So, I’ll tell you this much: Andrea’s description of the cake (Gourmet‘s Banana Chocolate Walnut Cake) was spot-on.  Head over to her site to hear about it and get the recipe.  You can find her post here.
Happy weekend, all!

1. Kitchen says on March 12 2010 at 3:50 pm:

I’m always amazed at how often this happens. An idea of what I want to cook and share will pop into my head and then I will check out a favourite blog and wham, there it is, with a beautiful photograph to boot! As both The Kitchen Sink and Bella Eats are on my favourites I’m off to the kitchen to whip up a banana chocolate walnut cake. Thanks for the inspiration…

2. Dolce says on March 12 2010 at 4:19 pm:

Oh this banana chocolate cake… I just went for soup on Oscar night, but I could as well have wolfed down a slice of your cake !!

3. Jessica says on March 12 2010 at 4:26 pm:

The same thing happens to me all the time – which is why I rely on blogs so much for dinners! Chocolate + banana is a delicious combo – I just posted some today, too! I could eat it all day.

4. Julia (Color Me Green) says on March 12 2010 at 5:44 pm:

this must happen all the time. you know who else made a dessert very similar to this last week? kristina of a lovely morning http://alovelymorning.blogspot.com/2010/03/banana-chocolate-walnut-cinnamon-sugar.html i suppose you can’t really go wrong with bananas, chocolate, and nuts!

5. codfish says on March 12 2010 at 6:23 pm:

Oh, I may need to jump on the bandwagon for this one. It seems pretty perfect for a rainy (almost spring) weekend.

6. Allison from "a for aubergine" says on March 12 2010 at 9:25 pm:

Wow, this cake has everything I like!

Banana, chocolate, walnuts, cinnamon! I’ll call this the “Allison Cake” but only to myself. :)

Must make soon!

7. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) says on March 13 2010 at 12:48 am:

That happens with me a lot too! More often than not, I’m just about to begin making something, and someone else makes it instead, and I put it off for a later date! Cake looks delicious!! :) I love banana + chocolate

8. Heather @ chik n' pastry says on March 13 2010 at 3:27 pm:

too funny – it does happen often (just like those tacos we both made). this cake though – i can totally see why – it looks great and has wonderful ingredients! plus, i have a few bananas lying around that need to be used, so why not? thanks~

9. ingrid says on March 13 2010 at 6:48 pm:

Isn’t that funny how that happens?

I have bananas browning as we speak so perhaps I’ll learn first hand just how delish this is for myself!
    ~ingrid

10. Andrea [bella eats] says on March 14 2010 at 6:05 am:

Kristin, thank you for the sweet mention of Bella Eats! I’ve had this exact thing happen to me many times, usually with Whitney (in Chicago). For a good portion of last summer she and I were on the same food wavelength! :)

Your photos are lovely, as always. I found this cake very difficult to capture visually, but goodness, wasn’t it delicious?!?

11. Sara says on March 14 2010 at 10:51 am:

then you really know it must be a good one! It looks delicious and just the treat for bfast, lunch, dinner and snack :)

12. Barbara says on March 14 2010 at 1:55 pm:

Happens all the time! We bloggers must be on the same wave length now and then! So this cake MUST be great fi both of you loved it!.

13. Aysegul - nysdelight says on March 15 2010 at 8:12 am:

It does happen often! The cake looks so delicous and well photographs are amazing – makes even more yummy.

14. Hannah says on March 15 2010 at 9:15 am:

haha! This has happened to me before too. So funny. This cake looks delicious!

15. Kasey says on March 15 2010 at 4:03 pm:

I know exactly what you mean about getting scooped! It has happened to me a number of times–esp. with my favorite bloggers. Seems that we often think alike. Looks delicious!

16. suzy says on March 16 2010 at 4:01 am:

oooh, this cake looks awesome! i’ve been looking for a good banana bread recipe, i usually make mine really sticky, but now i’m after something different. i’m sure i’ll be trying this out soon!:)

17. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) says on October 10 2010 at 1:32 pm: