can you feel it?

July 01 2010 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Uncategorized » 19 comments

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions

I love the days that lead up to a holiday.  There is the last minute shopping, the many cocktail parties, the cookie-baking bonanzas, and the hall-decking that precedes Christmas.  And then you have the menu planning, the pie crust stashing, the gourd shopping that portend Thanksgiving.  And don’t forget the dress-shopping, ham procuring and jelly-bean-popping that mark the days before Easter.  But, given the date, it’s the build up to the Fourth of July that I’ve got on the brain at the moment.

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions

Can you feel it?

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions

It’s almost an electric excitement in the air.  There’s a three-day weekend coming and people are ready.  They’ve stocked up on charcoal, sunscreen and ice.  The frequency of the unsponsored fireworks displays has already increased.  The grocery stores are bracing for a run on strawberries and blueberries, knowing full well that the people demand flag cakes on this holiday.  Plans for the weekend, for firework-viewing and beer-guzzling and porch-sitting, have been laid.

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions

Heck, I know I’m ready.  We’ll be home for the holiday and I can’t wait to indulge in a three-day weekend in my own city.  It’s been a while.  We’re planning to pick cherries, catch up on Friday Night Lights, walk a lot, soak up the sun.  We’ll also be spending a fair amount of time at the grill.  It’s the Fourth of July weekend, after all — and if there’s ever a time to get grilling, it’s now.

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions

I’m guessing many of you already have your weekend menus assembled.  In the off-chance that you’re looking for suggestions—the kind that involve the grill—I’ve got just the thing for you: grilled soy-glazed chicken and scallions.  Now, I’m not the biggest fan of your everyday barbecue chicken.  But this? Sticky and charred, with a tingle of spice and the smoky bite of grilled scallions, this is a barbecue chicken recipe I can get behind.  I suggest you do the same.

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions

Happy 4th!

Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken & Scallions
Adapted from Fine Cooking

Serves 4

3/4 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup low-salt soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbs. grapeseed, other other neutral, oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
3 1/2 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, breasts and our drumsticks, trimmed of excess fat
8 scallions, trimmed

Heat a gas grill to medium or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire. In a medium bowl, whisk the sherry, soy sauce, honey, 2 Tbs. of the oil, the garlic, ginger, pepper, and chile flakes until blended. Pour into a large zip-top bag. Cut two or three 1/4-inch-deep slashes in the skin side of the chicken pieces and put them in the bag. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes (or up to 4 hours in the fridge), turning the bag a few times to evenly coat the chicken pieces. Coat the scallions in the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Lift the chicken pieces out of the marinade (let excess marinade drain back into the bag) and set them on the hottest part of the grill. Arrange the scallions around the chicken on the cooler parts of the grill. Grill, turning frequently to prevent burning, until the scallions are tender, 5 to 8 minutes, and the chicken pieces are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the scallions and chicken from the grill as they finish cooking and tent loosely with foil.

While the chicken is on the grill, pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce the liquid to a syrupy glaze (about 1/3 cup), 10 to 15 minutes.  Once the scallions have cooled slightly, slice them into 2-inch pieces.

Arrange the chicken and scallions on a platter.  Drizzle the glaze over the chicken and scallions and serve.

1. Peter says on July 01 2010 at 1:22 pm:

Love it! Simple, most have access to these ingredients and it looks damn sexy on the platter!

2. heather @ chiknpastry says on July 01 2010 at 2:14 pm:

sounds like a great weekend you’ve got planned! where ya picking cherries? we went to lemon creek in MI and it was awesome, 2.5 per pound!

great looking chicken – i might just have to get behind this recipe as well :)

3. Whitney says on July 01 2010 at 2:14 pm:

You are majorly making me want a grill. Like so, so badly.

I can’t wait for this 3 day weekend as well. Looks like it is going to be a great weekend in Chicago!

4. Half Assed Kitchen says on July 01 2010 at 3:54 pm:

I could barely take a decent photo of steak salad today, and here you have all these wonderful shots. Happy 4th!

5. Jessica @ How Sweet says on July 01 2010 at 3:59 pm:

I love the buildup of holidays and vacations more than I actually love the holiday or vacation!

6. Andrea [bella eats] says on July 01 2010 at 5:12 pm:

This looks SO delicious, Kristin! I am not a huge BBQ chicken fan either, but I love the idea of this variation.

Enjoy your weekend! Holidays in your own city are the best.

7. Dawn (KitchenTravels) says on July 01 2010 at 5:49 pm:

Have a great holiday weekend!

8. Maddie says on July 01 2010 at 7:18 pm:

Enjoy the relaxation! If you’ll be out picking cherries, it sounds like you’ll have all you need for a fantastic weekend. :)

9. Tabitha (From Single to Married) says on July 02 2010 at 6:47 am:

mmm… that looks fantastic! Enjoy your holiday weekend!

10. Jil says on July 02 2010 at 4:37 pm:

just wanted to leave a quick note about how much im enjoying your blog. im starting law school in august and your blog gives me hope that i can keep enjoying my love of the kitchen. Thanks!!

11. Barbara says on July 05 2010 at 8:52 am:

Oh yeah, I feel it, but mostly I am feeling that chicken! OMG. That looks soooo good.

12. Kara says on July 07 2010 at 12:47 pm:

I hate to say it, but I lost all concentration when you said that part of your long weekend would be to catch up on Friday Night Lights! FNL! I had no idea you guys were fans… but we are some of the biggest so I just had to say a big HI to some fellow TV-show-about-Texas-football loving fans.

I went back to read the rest of the post and the recipe… and while we missed making this for the 4th, I’m fairly certain this will ring in another weekend this summer. YUM

13. Anne says on July 07 2010 at 5:04 pm:

I’m definitely feeling it in my stomach right about now–my mouth is watering, my eyes are as big as dinner plates! This chicken and scallions recipe is definitely something I will be making at the next gathering. Thank you so much for sharing!

14. Courtney says on July 08 2010 at 9:08 am:

I made this the night that you posted it – and we loved it! Thanks for a great recipe – those onions were so surprisingly yummy.

15. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 08 2010 at 11:26 am:

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments. Hope you all enjoyed the weekend!

Jil: Keep in mind that I started by blog as a 3L (which explains the frequency of posts in the early months!). Good luck to you!

Kara: Yes, FNL! So, so good. We’re just now starting the most recent season and I can’t get enough. I was happy to see their Emmy nominations this morning.

Courtney: Yay! Thanks for reporting back.

16. Julie says on July 12 2010 at 4:35 pm:

I’m just loving this, especially the scallion part…yum!

17. We thought this day would never come « wonderment says on July 13 2010 at 7:45 am:

[...] only one I hadn’t already shared (it was the lone bookmark that was for grilled anything), Grilled Soy-Glazed Chicken and Scallions from The Kitchen Sink, mostly because it was the only one that I didn’t have to go to the [...]

18. Tyla says on July 13 2010 at 11:23 am:

MAN this looks good. Too bad I don’t have a grill on my fire escape! I want those scallions though, definitely bookmarking this, trying to make a friend that has a grill, and reporting back later.

19. Beth says on July 15 2010 at 5:54 pm:

Wow, this recipe is easy because I have all the ingredients in my cupboard. This is a needed change from the typical BBQ with hotdogs and hamburgers. Thanks!