a beautiful thing

February 23 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Bread,Breakfast,Recipe » 16 comments

Oat Soda Bread

A quick bread is a beautiful thing.  Don’t you think?

Oat Soda BreadOat Soda Bread

No yeast packets.

Oat Soda Bread

No hovering over the bowl, willing that yeast to proof, dammit, proof!

Oat Soda Bread

No hours-long rises. No messy counter, dusted with post-knead flour.

Oat Soda Bread

They are forgiving to-the-max.  Even when you make a soda bread, haplessly swapping out the baking, er, soda, for baking powder.

Oat Soda Bread

Even then, the quick bread is still good.  With a tight, tangy crumb, and a seeded, cracked spine.

Quick bread: I love you.

///

Heidi’s recipe for this Oat Soda Bread (via Jennifer, in the “ping-pong culture” of the Web, a notion (in Heidi’s words) that I adore) is here.  As mentioned above, I used baking powder (accidentally) in place of baking soda and was pleased as punch with the results.  Seed-wise, I used a white and black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and cumin seeds.

1. Maegan says on February 23 2011 at 7:11 am:

Yum! I love this! We just finished up a loaf of this exact bread here in chilly NE last week–it was perfect with hearty weeknight soups, or topped with a hot fried egg. :)

I topped my loaf with sunflower and poppy seeds (what I had on hand) but I love the idea of your savory herb toppings (the cumin).

2. heather @ chiknpastry says on February 23 2011 at 11:29 am:

I heart quick bread. have my own post on one coming soon – with cheese and onions.

watch out! ha ha

3. Joanne says on February 23 2011 at 12:16 pm:

I’ve spent a lot of time in my life waiting around for yeast to rise and sometimes it is definitely not called for. Especially not when bread this good exists.

4. Elizabeth says on February 23 2011 at 12:19 pm:

Mmm… this looks like the perfect quick bread. I love the crunchy seeds on top!

5. Jennifer @ Jane Deere says on February 23 2011 at 2:47 pm:

This bread looks so good! I want a big warm piece slathered with butter, please! :)

6. Jennie says on February 23 2011 at 2:53 pm:

Such lovely pictures, and as you know I’m quite smitten with this bread too! Thanks for including a link to my recipe.

7. Jacqueline says on February 24 2011 at 1:42 pm:

A beautiful thing indeed as is your food processor ;)

8. LimeCake says on February 24 2011 at 4:54 pm:

I prefer a quick bread loaf to a yeast bread loaf. the crumb is just fantastic, and the texture is just amazing when you toast it in slices. This looks so lovely!

9. Liz says on February 24 2011 at 5:37 pm:

I love quick breads too, this one just went on my weekend menu!

10. Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} says on February 26 2011 at 10:03 am:

Gotta love quickbreads!

11. carolyn says on February 26 2011 at 3:53 pm:

sounds lovely, especially with cumin seeds.

12. EngineerMom says on February 26 2011 at 6:06 pm:

This looks delicious, but I’m still a yeast bread fan all the way. :-)

I shorten rising time by using more yeast (proofing the yeast isn’t really necessary) and putting the dough in a bowl covered with a damp towel in an oven that has preheated for 30 seconds. Three loaves’ worth of 100% whole wheat dough (supplemented with some wheat gluten to help the texture) rise in less than 1 hour. The second rising is 40 minutes.

13. ASHLEA says on March 02 2011 at 9:10 pm:

I’ve actually never made a quick bread and the idea of not dealing with a silly packet of yeast, sounds great!

14. Barbara says on March 03 2011 at 6:19 am:

How easy is that?? And it looks fabulous!

15. Tiffany says on March 10 2011 at 2:40 pm:

I, too, am a yeast bread -kinda girl…but my trick is this: a poolish! Once you use one, you’ll never go back. The beauty is that you use almost no yeast! The poolish will eliminate the “look at me, I’m home made” flavour. In a pinch, I’d try this recipe anyday…looks delicious!

16. ronnissweettooth says on March 10 2011 at 5:25 pm:

I made this today and it’s great. It comes together very quickly, it’s very easy to make and it’s much softer than I thought (although it still has some crunch on top). I went with your recipe instead of Heidi’s and used the baking powder – I have no complaints. I also used a teaspoon of poppy, cumin, white and black sesame seeds. This will become a rotating recipe in my house. Next time, I’m going to add a bit of honey to the dough.