i flew north

May 20 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe,Uncategorized » 21 comments

mn for the weekend

Last weekend, Kevin flew west (for a weekend with his friends in Yosemite) and I flew north (to Minnesota, to see my family).  The camera went with Kevin (filed under “The Things I Do For Love”).  But my iPhone came with me and I kept it busy documenting a rainy, chilly, but still-perfect weekend with my parents and sister.  There was beer (Fulton and Summit and Surly,  but not Grain Belt, alas):

mn for the weekend

And fat spears of asparagus shaved thin and tossed in lots of lemon, olive oil, parmesan and coarse salt:

mn for the weekend

And four perfect pizzas, from Pizzeria Lola, mixed and matched among us, after a trip to the photo booth (I died) and before a dish of softserve grapefruit sorbet (I died again):

mn for the weekend

And an old pup (the family dog, Bailey, pictured) and a young pup (my sister’s newest roommate, also named Lola, not pictured—tragically):

mn for the weekend

And a flight home on Sunday that prickled with homesickness, before I was even really gone, and made my heart feel tight:

mn for the weekend

And a bundle of pale pink peonies, to ease the return to Chicago, since Kevin wasn’t back yet to do the trick:

mn for the weekend

And, lest I forget, there was a remarkable rhubarb crisp, topped generously with vanilla bean bourbon ice cream—a dessert that was bittersweet, much like the weekend, or the leaving part, at least:

mn for the weekend

1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter, cut into 1/2″pieces
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Gently stir first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into shallow 3 quart baking dish.
Stir oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in butter with your a pastry cutter or your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps.
Crumble topping over fruit mixture. Bake until bubbly and topping is golden, about 40-50 minutes. Serve warm with unsweetened freshly-whipped cream or vanilla bean bourbon ice cream.

1. Rosa says on May 20 2011 at 4:15 am:

A great trip! That crisp looks just so droolworthy. I made the same version no later than yesterday evening. Something I love eating in spring and summer.

Cheers,

Rosa

2. emily (a nutritionist eats) says on May 20 2011 at 10:56 am:

Love the MPLS pictures. :)

3. bianca says on May 20 2011 at 1:39 pm:

I love iPhone photography- it’s proof that it’s not the equipment but vision that makes photography what it is!

4. Kelly says on May 20 2011 at 2:07 pm:

Hooray for Pizzeria Lola!!!

We used to live in Chicago (in the Fulton Market area, around the corner from Sushi Wabi), and moved to Minneapolis in 2008.

We now live 7 blocks north and one block west of Pizzeria Lola. We don’t go there much because it’s so busy all the time (that’s a good thing), but we sure do love it! Very glad you had the chance to sample the goodness of that place!!

5. Megan says on May 20 2011 at 2:37 pm:

Oh, I love Lola! My favorite dessert there is the vanilla soft serve, with fleur de sel and olive oil, it’s sooooo lovely.

6. Ali Weber says on May 22 2011 at 8:26 am:

Perfect weekend! Come back soon. Xo

7. Yuri says on May 22 2011 at 2:16 pm:

Could you please mail me some rhubarb? I’ve never tried it. Not popular here on this island :(

8. Elizabeth says on May 22 2011 at 4:35 pm:

I’ll be making this crisp for dessert tonight! Looks lovely.

9. Neil Butterfield says on May 22 2011 at 10:21 pm:

Pics are stunning, especially the pizza pic and the aerial pic.

10. Barbara says on May 23 2011 at 5:20 am:

Oh my, that pizza looks divine! And peonies are my favorite flower. Glad you had a nice visit with family, Kristin!

11. Tamara says on May 23 2011 at 11:57 am:

The asparagus looks delish. Is it steamed first?

12. Kelli says on May 24 2011 at 8:45 am:

Next time you come to Mpls. we would love to have you come and meet with local food bloggers here. You have a fan club!!

I live walking distance to Pizzeria Lola. LOVE IT.

13. Sues says on May 24 2011 at 6:11 pm:

All of your photos are beautiful! I dread the day my fiance and I take separate trips and I’m forced to part with the camera :)

14. cory says on May 26 2011 at 7:46 am:

i love all of these pictures! what a fun little glimpse into your trip. that crumble looks fantastic – i have been so happy to see fat red stalks of rhubarb at the market and have TONS in my fridge waiting for a use….a memorial day crumble is perfect :) the first strawberries of the season too are peeking their heads up at our markets! so good….so expensive! but well worth it! thanks for posting!

15. Neil Butterfield says on May 28 2011 at 3:26 am:

Your trip looks great! There is something about the pizza that gets me every time, I so want pizza now.

16. diane says on May 31 2011 at 7:14 pm:

The dessert was absolutely fabulous and the homemade icecream was pretty great also. As always, the best part of the weekend is always having you home with us and sharing more memories. Love, MOM

17. The Dinner Belle for KimberlyBelle.com says on June 01 2011 at 6:56 am:

The crisp looks so delicious! Pairing it with bourbon instead of vanilla ice cream is an awesome idea :) it gives it a more grown-up feel to it, doesn’t it?

18. Tabitha (From Single to Married) says on June 06 2011 at 6:08 pm:

don’t you just love traveling? And what fun photos too!

19. brownsuagarandbacon says on June 09 2011 at 11:41 am:

its official, i need to make this crumble and i need to invest in an ice cream maker. vanilla bean bourbon ice cream? yes please.

20. Anne Weber-Falk says on June 10 2011 at 7:41 am:

I really enjoy your blog and the recipes you create. It has been a while since you have sent us another creation and told us about your day. I hope all is well with you and yours. I look forward to reading new things from you soon. Thank you.
    AnneWF

21. Andrea says on June 13 2011 at 5:56 am:

That crisp recipe was awesome, made it this weekend. I am sure the ice cream is great with it but I like it with some plain yogurt, so I can eat it for breakfast:)