on a road trip

July 14 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe,Vacation » 12 comments

big sur bakery scones

Kevin would be in L.A. the week before the Fourth of July.  So, we set our sights on a road trip up the coast over the long weekend.  Kevin picked me up at LAX, and we drove north along the coast, where the endless blue Pacific slipped from the pristine beaches of Malibu, studded with surfers and life guard stands, into golden, rolling hills and rugged coastline.

los angeles to big sur / day 1los angeles to big sur / day 1los angeles to big sur / day 1

Our first stop was Big Sur, and we got there just in time for sunset.  An orange sun slid down through the trees and over the ocean, and we ate at Big Sur Bakery, on the front porch, with a votive candle flickering between us.

We woke up rested and ready to drive, hike, snap photos, and gawk at a landscape that completely stunned us.  A wave of yellow wild flowers washed over the coastline.  A winding path led to an abandoned beach.  A waterfall pounded onto the sand below.  A hidden cove swayed with its underwater kelp forest.  An elusive fog drifted in, only to disappear as we rounded the next bend in the road.

big sur / day 2big sur / day 2big sur / day 2

We made the most of our day in Big Sur—and we were totally dazzled.

big sur / day 2big sur / day 2

We spent the last minutes of daylight on the beach, where the sinking sun cast a light on the hills that made them glow and a reflection over the surf that sparkled.

big sur / day 2big sur / day 2big sur / day 2

And as if this weren’t all enough, we woke up the next morning and drove to Napa, a place that I can’t seem to shake.

big sur to napa / day 3big sur to napa / day 3napa / day 4

We drove to the airport in San Francisco a couple days later, and even that drive was gorgeous.

napa / day 4

The trip was magical.  So, this week, as we adjusted to being back home, I baked up a batch of Big Sur Bakery scones—the likes of which we’d enjoyed two mornings in a row while we were in Big Sur.  To relive the whole trip just a little bit.

big sur bakery scones

The Big Sur Bakery Scones recipe is here.  (My cookbook is in the mail, and I can’t wait for it to arrive!)  More photos of our trip are here.

1. April was in CT says on July 14 2011 at 9:05 pm:

The pictures are stunning! We just moved to CA a few weeks ago and I am in complete awe of the weather and scenery. We live very near Napa and I’m quite enamored with it as well. Your pictures have inspired me to plan a trip to Big Sur soon!

2. The Hungry Traveler says on July 15 2011 at 5:10 am:

I’m moving to LA in a few weeks. My boyfriend has lived in that area for a while and he always says he really wants to take a road trip up the coast. Now I can see why, and I will definitely be bugging him til we do it!

3. Whitney says on July 15 2011 at 7:10 am:

The light in all of those pictures is so magical. You always take the best trips!

4. heather @ chiknpastry says on July 15 2011 at 1:01 pm:

we did this exact trip, only it was from portland to la, so backwards and a little longer!

i tell you, the trip is half of the reason we left chicago for san francisco. the west coast is amazing.

great pics!!!

5. Jacqui says on July 15 2011 at 1:13 pm:

Gorgeous photos, Kristin! We’re hoping to plan a road trip from Portland to San Francisco next year, and have a vacation planned in August in Dillon Beach, California. I can’t get enough of the West Coast!

6. bianca says on July 16 2011 at 10:12 am:

I am swooning over your vacation photos; california is such a beautiful place. I drove from Palm Springs to San Fran 2 years ago, and that is a trip that I cannot seem to shake either!

7. Heidi says on July 18 2011 at 10:46 am:

Oh my goodness–we are doing almost this exact trip at the beginning of October! (flying into LAX for a wedding and then driving the coast, flying out of San Fran) I would love to know if you have any recommendations of places to stay, what not to miss etc!

Thanks!

8. Kazia Jankowski says on July 19 2011 at 8:59 am:

Sounds like a fun trip. Your photos are beautiful and the scones look delicious!

9. The Dinner Belle for KimberlyBelle.com says on July 21 2011 at 8:12 am:

Your photos make me want to move to the west coast! Thanks for the scone recipe- I’ll bake them and imagine that I’m having them in Big Sur ;)

10. Neil Butterfield says on July 26 2011 at 12:32 pm:

You have shared some really awesome pics here. Thanks for sharing.

11. nicole says on July 26 2011 at 12:52 pm:

Beautiful — I love the way you see my beloved state :)

12. Emily Todd says on July 31 2011 at 9:51 am:

Absolutely GORGEOUS photos! Thanks for the link back and I hope you adore the cookbook as much as I do when you get it!!