one season or the other

September 18 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 15 comments

Whole Wheat-Olive Oil Zucchini Bread

We visited the Green City Market on Saturday morning, and I was struck by the duplicity of this time of year.  Depending which way you looked, you might’ve found yourself in one season or the other.  To your left, there’s a pile of sweet corn, pale green husks and flaxen silks stacked high—and it speaks of deep summer, of double-booked BBQs, and boat rides, and baseball.  Straight ahead, there’s a table of peppers of every hue—and they speak of late summer, Labor Day, and long, savored days.  But then, to the right, there are crates of apples, small and tart, telling of the autumn to come, multi-colored leaves, and thick sweaters, and mugs of hot cider.

Whole Wheat-Olive Oil Zucchini BreadWhole Wheat-Olive Oil Zucchini Bread

Our feet, in other words, were in two worlds: one lingering in summer, while the other stepped into fall.  In light of this, I’ve been trying to straddle the seasons.  Burgers followed by apple crisp, for instance.  Or a peach pie, preceded by a hearty stew.  But, really, I’m trying not to let summer go, to send it off too soon.  So, while the weather might call for butternuts and brussels, my mind is still dreaming of some perfect summer meals gone by.

In particular, there was a campsite dinner that is forever burned into my memory, just like the brilliant sunset that set the scene:

campsite dinner
campsite dinner
campsite dinner

Nor can I forget a dinner at my grandparents’ house, made almost entirely of food grown in the backyard garden:

summer supper

summer supper

But while this reel of summer’s-meals-past unfurls in my mind’s eye, I know that fall is coming.  So I’m giving it nods, here and there, while still seizing the summer produce in the markets.  To this bread, which stars summer’s zucchini, I added fall’s spices (cinnamon and nutmeg).  It’s helping to ease the transition—to remind us of where we’ve been, but still enticing us to where we’re going.

Whole Wheat-Olive Oil Zucchini Bread

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 egg
3/4 cup brow  sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the chopped walnuts. Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil and buttermilk. Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Stir in the zucchini.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stir until combined, taking care not over mix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted into the loaf comes out almost clean, which should be around 50 minutes. Cool loaves in their pans on a rack for 20 minutes, then turn the loaf out onto a rack to cool.

1. Amy says on September 18 2011 at 9:01 pm:

Beautiful photographs and writing– you captured my thoughts about this time of year perfectly. That bread looks like it couldn’t have better timing.

2. This American Bite says on September 18 2011 at 10:10 pm:

Particularly beautiful photos and writing.

3. Rosa says on September 18 2011 at 10:33 pm:

What a beautiful and romantic campsite dinner! Awesome.

Your bread is wonderful too!

Cheers,

Rosa

4. Magda says on September 19 2011 at 2:14 am:

I love your introduction. I too feel the same way; wondering what I should cook next without forcing myself to change seasons too soon.

A meal entirely out of produce grown in the backyard? Heaven on earth! Your grandparents are lucky people.

Lovely bread!

5. Microwave Goddess says on September 19 2011 at 5:16 am:

Such a pretty table at the campsite!

6. Sali says on September 26 2011 at 3:50 am:

Nice pic and great post.

7. Lemon says on September 26 2011 at 11:09 am:

I very much like special breads, too. I already have tried one with zucchini, some time ago, it was great. Thanks for sharing your experience and recipe.

8. Liza@provenceinannarbor says on September 28 2011 at 9:51 am:

My feelings exactly! I’m still not willing to let go of summer quite yet, though I love fall and the food that goes with it.

p.s. tried subscribing but is the button working? I couldn’t click on it.

9. Barbara says on October 01 2011 at 3:39 am:

I kind of like the straddle months! And sweet breads….your zucchini loaf is nice and healthy with whole wheat flour and olive oil.

10. Market Month Re-Cap | Healthy Tasty Cheap says on October 01 2011 at 7:00 pm:

[...] you ended up with a bumper crop of zucchini this year, this Whole Wheat-Olive Oil Zucchini Bread from The Kitchen Sink Recipes seems like the way to [...]

11. Rachel M says on October 06 2011 at 6:36 pm:

Your zucchini pictures are fantastic. That sounds funny, but it’s true!

Love, love, love zucchini bread! And love the changing seasons! =)

12. Sylvia@bascooking says on October 07 2011 at 11:17 am:

What a beautiful dinner outside and lovely pics as well.
    I have the same feeling about yhis time of the year I feel with one foot on winter and other in spring

13. foodie @ picyourtaste.com says on October 08 2011 at 12:12 am:

really beautiful pictures… really enjoyed your post

14. lynn @ the actor's diet says on October 11 2011 at 11:44 pm:

i adore things in loaf pans…olive oil and zucchini are things i always have in the house too!

15. Amrita says on April 03 2012 at 2:35 am:

I have recently entered into the arena of making cakes with veggies in them and I think I’m adding this one to the to-do list. Your photographs are beautiful!