profoundly right

October 10 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 21 comments

Pumpkin-Bourbon Ice Cream

After a week’s worth of 70- to 80-degree October days, I’ve finally settled on the perfect solution for this unseasonal weather.

It’s this: Pumpkin Ice Cream.

With bourbon, naturally.

Pumpkin-Bourbon Ice CreamPumpkin-Bourbon Ice Cream

There is something deeply odd about wearing flip flips for a stroll through the crunchy leaves that are quickly lining Bucktown’s sidewalks.  Likewise, I’m having a hard time reaching for my sundresses over my sweaters.  And all I want to eat is the produce that peaked a while ago, leaving brussels and gourds in its wake.

Pumpkin-Bourbon Ice Cream

But pumpkin ice cream?  Now that is profoundly right.  It tastes of cinnamon and wears an autumn shade of orange, but it’s cool and it’s clean, making it just right for the past few days.

Pumpkin-Bourbon Ice Cream

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
1/4 cup bourbon

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow.

In a large saucepan, whisk together the milk, cream, brown sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, ginger, ground cinnamon and cinnamon stick.  Bring the mixture to a full boil, and then, as soon as it begins to rise up the sides of the pan, remove the pan from the heat.

Pour about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a slow and steady stream and whisk to combine.  Return the egg yolk mixture to the remaining milk mixture.  Whisk in the nutmeg and salt.  Cook over low heat, constantly whisking, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.

Pour the thickened mixture through a mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.  Whisk in the pumpkin puree and bourbon.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.

Churn the custard in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer’s directions.

Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze until firm (about 2 hours).

1. Andy says on October 10 2011 at 7:41 pm:

That sounds amazing! With the bourbon brownies!

2. Amy says on October 10 2011 at 9:16 pm:

Oooh I love it, love it, love it. And I’d have to agree with Andy’s comment that it sounds amazing paired with a bourbon brownie. Yum! Beautiful photography, by the way.

3. Dawn (KitchenTravels) says on October 10 2011 at 9:45 pm:

Seriously, what is UP with this weather? It’s weird all over.

Love the idea of pumpkin ice cream…like frozen pumpkin pie, I imagine? I made a similar recipe over the summer w/ sweet potatoes and candied pecans. Delish, but tasted too “fall” for July. ;)

4. Rosa says on October 10 2011 at 11:15 pm:

A beautiful ice cream! Seasonal and delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

5. Tine says on October 10 2011 at 11:41 pm:

Oh my god! This looks so so good! Crazy!

6. Zoe says on October 11 2011 at 1:00 am:

this is an awesome idea, the ice cream is such a pretty colour.
    do you think i could make it without the ice cream maker?

7. Magda says on October 11 2011 at 6:45 am:

What a wonderful idea. Over here, in The Netherlands, we’ve been experiencing the same kind of weather you’re describing and it’s been hard to eat traditionally autumnal foods.
    Lovely colors in your photographs Kristin.

8. [...] warm with a scoop of pumpkin ice cream or drizzle with salted caramel. Share [...]

9. Jillian says on October 11 2011 at 11:26 am:

pumpkin ice cream with bourbon…i think we’d be good friends! Sounds fantastic!

10. Kelsey says on October 11 2011 at 10:27 pm:

Oh, I commiserate. We’re expecting mid 90′s here in San Diego tomorrow. Not cool. Autumn, where are you?! This recipe is a perfect compromise.

11. The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com says on October 12 2011 at 11:54 am:

Even though we could make it year round-for some reason I feel that pumpkin ice cream should only be made in the fall as it tastes of Autumn. I love to smear some of ginger snaps for a bit of crunch or drizzle a scoop with what chocolate chips.

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

12. Elizabeth says on October 13 2011 at 12:02 am:

I beat unseasonal weather with your bourbon butterscotch sauce! Poured over vanilla ice cream, I can’t think of a better way to enjoy warm autumn days.

13. Ashley says on October 13 2011 at 2:59 pm:

The perfect solution I’d say. And such a fine choice of bourbon. Great post.

14. Michelle says on October 14 2011 at 8:37 am:

rarely when someone claims “perfect solution” is it, in fact, perfect. not here. this – this is perfect for erratic weather of fall. and for the deep pit that is my stomach every october.

15. magan says on October 15 2011 at 4:49 pm:

Lovely. I have been looking forward to pumpkin season. Side note: can you tell me more about your spoon?

16. kickpleat says on October 18 2011 at 12:03 am:

sounds perfect! but i’d like almost anything with bourbon.

17. Jen Kotila says on October 23 2011 at 3:57 pm:

Yum! This sounds fantastic :)

18. erin says on October 30 2011 at 7:03 pm:

this post is like reading my mind… i’ve been wanting to make ice cream. this looks perfect.

19. Amy says on November 16 2011 at 6:57 am:

… and you used my husband’s favorite bourbon :-)

20. The Wimpy Vegetarian says on November 27 2011 at 10:49 am:

For about a year after I got my ice cream maker, I made a different ice cream every week. I absolutely love how this one looks and will be trying it next! I always put a little alcohol in at the end for the texture and bourbon is the perfect choice here. Love it!

21. [...] warm with a scoop of pumpkin ice cream or drizzle with salted caramel. source: Some Kitchen Stories Share this:TwitterFacebookLike [...]