these busy weeks

November 20 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Recipe,Salad » 20 comments

quinoa with roasted broccoli & feta

I have so much to say, but no where to start.  When I’m at a loss, I usually retreat to the kitchen, so that’s what I’ll do now, and I’ll tell you that today, my kitchen was a hub of productivity.  We’re hosting Thanksgiving this (this?) Thursday (this Thursday?!), and I’m in full-on preparation mode.  Today alone, I dispatched several sticks of butter (pie crusts, resting in the fridge, awaiting their fillings; buttermilk biscuits, frozen hockey pucks at the moment, but flaky rounds, with any luck, come Thanksgiving), mixed together a batch of ice cream (bourbon-vanilla bean, of course), and baked up a thin pan of cornbread, destined for stuffing, after a nice few days of drying out.

quinoa with roasted broccoli & feta

Thanksgiving, I own you.

quinoa with roasted broccoli & feta

Nothing else seems much in control, though.  I look at my last post, and I absolutely cannot believe that it’s been over a month since we last talked.  For the most part, I’ve got good excuses—family and friends, and travels.  But, the truth is, there’s been a lot of work too, and a fall that slipped away in the blink of an eye.

quinoa with roasted broccoli & feta

Out of these busy weeks, a new weeknight staple has emerged—a quinoa salad that features roasted broccoli, the florets sweet and nutty, against a bright, sour dressing that softens beneath the creaminess of feta.  The whole thing is confetti-ed with diced red onion and red pepper flakes. And I cannot get enough.

quinoa with roasted broccoli & feta

We’ve been making it over and over.  And we’ll make it again tomorrow night, in fact, while the Thanksgiving preparations continue (turkey pick-up!  dry brine!  cashews!  ice cream churning!).

***

Looking for Thanksgiving inspiration? Check out the Thanksgiving recipe index.

***

Quinoa with Roasted Broccoli, Arugula & Feta

Yield: 2 main dish servings (or 4 side dish servings)

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
kosher salt
1 head broccoli
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon grainy mustard, divided
1 lemon, freshly squeezed
2 cups baby arugula
1/4 cup crumbled feta

Preheat oven to 475.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Combine quinoa, water, and a big pinch of salt in a pot.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cook for 20-25 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed the water.  Remove from heat and set aside (keep covered).

Meanwhile, prepare the broccoli. Cut the florets into bite-sized pieces.  Trim the woody end from the stalks, and, using a vegetable peeler, trim the tough outside layer from the stalks.  Slice the stalks into coins.  Toss the florets and coins in 1 tablespoon oil, a pinch of salt, and a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes.  Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the broccoli is browned in spots.

In a big bowl, whisk together the grainy mustard and lemon juice.  Whisk in the remaining olive oil.  Add the arugula.  Add the quinoa and broccoli, when they are cooked, and toss to wilt the arugula and coat the salad with dressing.

Top with feta and serve.

1. Amy says on November 20 2011 at 8:46 pm:

this looks like exactly what I’ve been in the mood for… I’m going to try it out and I’ll let you know if I love it as much as you do.

And I must admit, it truly does sound like you own this Thanksgiving! Nice job, so far. :)

2. Maria says on November 20 2011 at 8:47 pm:

This is definitely my kind of a recipe! I have been eating so much broccoli this past season, but never get tired of it. Quinoa is a staple, too. Delicious combination of flavours!

3. Jacqui says on November 20 2011 at 9:44 pm:

Happy Thanksgiving, Kristin!

4. Rosa says on November 20 2011 at 11:26 pm:

What a lovely dish! So healthy and enjoyable.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Rosa

5. Liza@provenceinannarbor says on November 21 2011 at 6:57 am:

mmmm…I absolutely must try this. I’m always looking for additional salad recipes, and, it would work for my picky vegetarian father as well. Thanks!

6. SimplyTastyBits says on November 21 2011 at 6:58 am:

I love your preparation. Your Thanksgiving sounds fantastic and you are right, you own it! Thanks for the excellent recipe. It’s sure to be what I’ll want after a weekend of indulging.

7. Katie D. says on November 21 2011 at 8:26 am:

I’m thrilled to see that you’re back, Kristen! This looks delicious, and your Thanksgiving menu sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to hear how it all turned out.

Happy Thanksgiving, you have been missed!

8. Paige says on November 21 2011 at 9:10 am:

Yet another good quinoa idea from your blog! Looks tasty. I have a version I’ll be sharing on my blog shortly that was inspired in part by your asparagus version from way back when. And speaking of bourbon ice cream…I made a brown sugar version that goes great with pecan pie:

Good luck with your Thanksgiving prep!

9. heather @ chiknpastry says on November 21 2011 at 12:35 pm:

“Thanksgiving, I own you.”

LOVE it. I own t-day too. But we’ll see if that continues once 13 other people are in my house!

good luck :).

10. Mary O'Brien says on November 21 2011 at 7:25 pm:

Well I am relieved. I don’t even know you but I have been worried about your mother after her surgery. I guess it’s the nurse in me taking over. I have checked in frequently, hoping to see a new post written with cheerful words. Whew. O.K., I guess I can worry about my own mother now! Glad to see you back. I look forward to your posts especially the titles. That’s the nut part of me coming out. Welcome back and happy Thanksgiving.

11. kickpleat says on November 21 2011 at 7:52 pm:

This sounds so so good! And I hope you can now find time for a breather or two.

12. Marianne says on November 22 2011 at 11:06 pm:

This is the kind of simple & delicious dish I need in my life these days. So busy with school and work, and I feel like I never have time to sit down to a proper meal. And yet all I crave is something filled with veggies, whole grains, and a little flair. Thanks for a little inspiration :)

13. Mike atylor says on November 25 2011 at 7:05 am:

I will have to try this one out, I think I am going to be addicted to this stuff!

14. Barbara says on November 27 2011 at 12:00 pm:

Great salad, Kristin! I do love quinoa!

15. diane says on November 27 2011 at 2:06 pm:

How fun to see the salad after so much discussion. It looks great and full of my favorite flavors. Happy birthday from my nook. Yes we can learn! Mom

16. Brooke (The Flour Sack) says on January 07 2012 at 3:31 pm:

I just made this and it was wonderful. The roasted broccoli really added a nice flavor and I love the addition of feta, too. Thanks for a great lunch! :)

17. Sarah says on January 25 2012 at 10:13 am:

This is what I need more of in these late January afternoons! Thank you!

18. [...] Roast Broccoli and Arugula Salad with Feta Adapted from The Kitchen Sink Recipes Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a [...]

19. Amy says on January 31 2012 at 8:20 pm:

Really loved this salad… I’ve made it a few times now! You hit the flavors spot on with this one. I blogged about it here, if you don’t mind:

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

20. Anna says on March 24 2012 at 11:00 am:

Really amazing. I added Craisens and sliced red pepper for color. Winner winner winner.