almond poppy seed biscotti

December 13 2011 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Dessert,Recipe » 13 comments

Almond Poppyseed Biscotti

After a busy couple of months, I was just starting to think that I wouldn’t have much time for holiday baking.  But that’s when the urge to make these biscotti hit.  I was in the mood for a not-too-sweet cookie with crunch, and one of my favorite combinations (almond extract and poppy seeds) leapt to mind.  The dough came together in a flash, and I multi-tasked while the biscotti underwent their double-bake.  In no time, I had a tin full of festive, poppy seed-flecked cookies, redolent of almond.

Almond Poppyseed Biscotti

With the biscotti behind me, I’m feeling less sorry for myself and my lack of time for holiday baking.

Almond Poppyseed Biscotti

In fact, the biscotti have helped me resolve to finding little pockets of time for my baking.  A batch of thumbprints here, and a sheet of brittle there.  No rule against a late-night pan of fudge, right?  I might not have time for afternoons spent rolling truffles through multiple hues of cocoa powder (who was that person, and where did she find the time?), and I’ll leave the tedious spritz pressing and painstaking sugar cookie decorating to my mother (whose patience for such baking tasks did not pass on down to me).  But, by god, there will be some holiday baking in my kitchen.

Almond Poppyseed Biscotti

I’ll leave you with some more holiday inspiration here.  I’m looking forward to a little time off around Christmas, and to a schedule that will slow down (fingers crossed) come 2012.  Merry merry to you all.

Almond Poppyseed Biscotti

Almond Poppy Seed Biscotti
Yield: 1 dozen
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 large eggs, plus 1 egg white
1 tablespoon canola (or other neutral) oil
1 tablespoon almond extract
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup poppy seeds
turbinado or sanding sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. In a stand mixer, beat sugar, eggs, oil, and almond extract in large bowl until well blended. With the mixer running, slowly add flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in almonds and poppy seeds. Press the dough into a log (roughly 12″ by 3″) on the lined baking sheet.  Dust with turbinado or sanding sugar, if desired.

Bake log until lightly browned and almost firm to touch, about 30 minutes. Cool log on sheet 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

Carefully transfer log to cutting board, reserving parchment paper.  Slice the log crosswise into about 12 even slices.  Stand biscotti upright on the lined baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheet.

1. Rosa says on December 13 2011 at 11:23 pm:

Beautiful biscootti!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. Mary says on December 14 2011 at 9:34 am:

This looks fabulous! This is my first visit to your blog, so I’ve spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

3. CulinarilyCourtney says on December 14 2011 at 9:47 am:

This biscotti looks delicious. I am always on the look out for a perfect cookie to have with my afternoon tea, and this sounds perfect! I think it would also be good to add in a little lemon zest.

4. Elizabeth says on December 14 2011 at 10:12 am:

These look perfect. I totally understand how disappointing it to have no time for holiday baking. Every year, my finals take place during exactly the same pre-Christmas weeks when all I can think about is baking up sugar cookies and fudge. But, like you said, you can always squeeze a little time in for Christmas treats, even if it’s at midnight! Happy holidays, and I truly hope your schedule is less hectic in 2012… we miss you around here!

5. heather @ chiknpastry says on December 14 2011 at 1:23 pm:

YUM. I haven’t made biscotti in a couple of years, and now I’m very much tempted to make it again. Now, if only I can find the time…..

6. Ana_ILTdP says on December 14 2011 at 3:46 pm:

Hola!

I really like your biscotti!! Very simple and nice indeed :D

7. diane says on December 18 2011 at 12:08 pm:

The biscotti looks delicious and perhaps some smuggled into the car for your holiday drive north?Can’t wait to see you both and the butter is coming to room temp for spritz as we speak. MOM

8. Yosef - This American Bite says on December 22 2011 at 2:19 pm:

I have to say, I am not a fan of almond, poppy seed or biscotti – but I do particularly like the photography in this post!

9. Culinary Collage says on December 27 2011 at 9:14 am:

These biscotti look lovely…..I’m a big fan of biscotti….thanks for the recipe!

10. Nicole @ the dirty oven says on December 30 2011 at 7:49 pm:

Loves!!! & a happy 2012!!

11. Casey says on January 01 2012 at 11:11 am:

Your photographs are stunning. So is the biscotti.

12. Nancy @ Rivertree Kitchen says on January 02 2012 at 3:59 pm:

I’m impressed. The biscotti look moist and tender yet have no butter. I’ve got to try these soon. Beautiful photos, too.

13. Anna @ the shady pine says on January 04 2012 at 4:14 pm:

Biscotti is such a holiday time treat in our family and it was lovely to see your recipe. I’ve long used poppy seeds in regular cookies but it’s a great idea for biscotti too!