on the way

March 14 2012 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe,Sauce » 46 comments

Hot Fudge Sauce

I have a good excuse.

Hot Fudge Sauce

For weeks, I’ve been meaning to tell you about this hot fudge sauce, which is decadent and thick and glossy and everything a hot fudge sauce should be.  The recipe has been on the docket since Valentine’s Day, in fact.  I had a post planned, half drafted in my head.  I intended to come clean that my annual protestations about Valentine’s Day were something of a hoax.  For several years running, I’d posted a chocolate dessert in honor of the mid-February holiday (“holiday”?), so there was no denying that I was on board for at least one part of Valentine’s Day: the chocolate part.  That would be the post’s title: “The Chocolate Part.”  I quite liked that.

Hot Fudge Sauce

But then mid-February slipped into late February, and then it was Leap Day, and then March was upon us, coming in equal parts lion and lamb, so typical of a Chicago spring day.  And, still, I haven’t told you about the sauce.  It’s sure to become a new favorite, and one that I plan to make often, particularly in the summer months, when ice cream sundaes will be de rigueur.

Hot Fudge Sauce

Did you see what just happened there?  I’m telling you about a hot fudge sauce that I made in early February, a winter setting if ever there was one, and nevertheless I managed to mention both spring and summer in the very same paragraph.  I’m not all that surprised, I confess.  These days, I’m looking ahead.  To early August, to be exact.  A time when the third member of our little family is due to arrive.  And, that, of course, would be the excuse.  The thing that’s been distracting me.

Hot Fudge Sauce

Yes!  You read that right.  I’m still not talking about the recipe (a winner, to be sure).  Instead, I’m talking about a baby.  Our baby.  Our baby girl.  On the way.  Due this summer.

Hot Fudge Sauce

We’re absolutely thrilled, and I’m really excited to be sharing this news with all of you.  So, with that, I’ll leave you with the recipe.  Finally.

Hot Fudge Sauce
Martha Stewart

Yield: About 1 1/2 cups

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Place heavy cream and corn syrup in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate; whisk until melted and well combined. Stir in vanilla and salt. Transfer fudge sauce to a glass container and let cool at room temperature until thickened, about 1 hour. Hot fudge sauce can be stored in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature or gently reheat before using.

1. Kristi says on March 14 2012 at 7:10 pm:

Congratulations! I just had our baby boy this past January and it’s the best.

Take care of yourself.

2. Tracey says on March 14 2012 at 7:24 pm:

Congratulations Kristin! Wonderful news!

The hot fudge sauce looks great, homemade is the best :)

3. sammyw says on March 14 2012 at 7:26 pm:

warmest congratulations to you! Excited to follow along your sweet journey…

4. Auntie Ali says on March 14 2012 at 7:41 pm:

I’ve been waiting for this post… and of course, little Miss Wonderful. XOXOXO.

5. Mary O'Brien says on March 14 2012 at 8:07 pm:

Congratulations. Bring on the pickle and ice cream recipes!

6. Janae says on March 14 2012 at 10:28 pm:

What wonderful news! I’m a long time reader of your site and I missed your posts, but I can’t think of a better reason to have been gone. I wish you and your husband the absolute best during this special time.

(And a girl!! It just doesn’t get any sweeter!)

Congratulations!

7. Rosa says on March 15 2012 at 1:08 am:

It looks ever so luscious!

Congratulations!

Cheers,

Rosa

8. Karen says on March 15 2012 at 1:59 am:

Congratulations!! I hope you have time to relax and enjoy pregnancy and your little girl! There’s nothing better!

9. Amy says on March 15 2012 at 4:26 am:

Kristin!!! I’m so thrilled for you; congratulations!!! I hope you’ve had a smooth pregnancy so far. And a girl, how wonderful!! Hope you’re getting lots of rest and relaxation time. :)

10. A Plum By Any Other Name says on March 15 2012 at 4:30 am:

Congrats on both the child and the fantastic-sounding chocolate sauce. Makes me think of my dad who was crazy for hot fudge (and chocolate milk shakes) growing up.

11. Amanda says on March 15 2012 at 4:50 am:

Congratulations!! I had a hunch that something was cooking in the oven ;) Can’t wait to see what else is in store. Best wishes to you + family!

12. Kate says on March 15 2012 at 5:55 am:

Oh, that’s wonderful!! I kinda knew when I read the post title, what it really meant. Yay!!

13. Elizabeth says on March 15 2012 at 6:34 am:

Aww, congratulations!!! How very, very exciting :)

14. Eleana says on March 15 2012 at 7:41 am:

Congrats on your baby-on-the-way! She will be incredibly well fed and loved! =)

15. Whitney says on March 15 2012 at 8:08 am:

CONGRATS! You and Kevin are going to have such a cute little foodie daughter.

16. SimplyTastyBits says on March 15 2012 at 8:57 am:

Congratulations! I wish you the best. Can’t wait to see what food your little girl likes!

17. Rose-Anne says on March 15 2012 at 10:26 am:

Oh my goodness, congratulations! So exciting! (And that fudge sauce–yum. Fudge sauce can do no wrong in my book.)

18. natalie (the sweets life) says on March 15 2012 at 10:39 am:

congratulations! and what a cute announcement :)

19. Jessica says on March 15 2012 at 2:07 pm:

Congratulations! Hot fudge sauce is the perfect way to announce a baby.

20. kaela says on March 15 2012 at 3:07 pm:

Congratulations! So very exciting. Enjoy it all – including lots of fudge sauce. You’re eating for two, you know! :)

21. Kel says on March 15 2012 at 5:27 pm:

Congrats!! I wish you and your husband the best! I bet your families are excited.

I actually suspected this as your posts declined. I love your blog and hope you continue with it. Take care!

22. Emily says on March 15 2012 at 6:14 pm:

Yay! Chocolate sauce? Best sauce ever. BABY??? BEST NEWS EVER!

23. Kara says on March 15 2012 at 6:19 pm:

Wow I somehow did not see that coming and usually am the first to suspect. Congratulations!!! We have an almost 1-year old and while it’s been the craziest year of our lives, it’s so worth it. Enjoy your pregnancy – it’s a very special time unlike non-other.

24. Wren says on March 15 2012 at 7:57 pm:

Congratulations on such a wonderful time of life!! My first baby – a lovely little girl – just turned 11. That first pregnancy is such a unique season of anticipation. Enjoy!!

25. shanna says on March 16 2012 at 7:09 am:

AH! As soon as I read the title, I knew. YAY! Congratulations!

26. kickpleat says on March 16 2012 at 9:36 am:

Woweeee!!! Congratulations. Hip hip hooray and fudge sauce!

27. Becky says on March 16 2012 at 10:50 am:

Yay! I’m so glad you are in the eating trimester (as opposed to non-eating first and wish you could eat but there’s just no room trimester)

28. Brynn says on March 16 2012 at 11:20 am:

yay yay yay! I’ve been wondering when you’d make it “interweb official.” I can not wait to meet little Miss Silverman – and to see her (glowing, I’m sure) mama next weekend! xo

29. Susan says on March 16 2012 at 4:40 pm:

Congratulations! Figured something was up because work couldn’t be THAT busy…. :)

30. Lorraine says on March 17 2012 at 9:40 pm:

Congratulations! My three favorite food bloggers are expecting…you, Luisa (Wednesday Chef) and Molly (Orangette) Must be something in the blogosphere :)

31. Paige says on March 18 2012 at 1:54 pm:

Congrats!! And as a fellow Chicagoan I should add: isn’t this weather great? You might enjoy taking a peek at my recipe and photos of this amazing Chicago spring:

32. Ana says on March 18 2012 at 2:02 pm:

So much congratulations to you and Kevin – I couldn’t be happier for the whole family! What a lucky little girl… I can only imagine the meals she’ll have :)

33. Lara says on March 18 2012 at 2:33 pm:

As I was reading, I was hoping this what was building to the conclusion. Congratulations to you and Kevin. Couldn’t be more excited for you. I can’t wait to tell Ben!!! Much love. xoxo

34. Lara says on March 18 2012 at 2:36 pm:

(Ugh…I should have proofread before submitting!)

35. Andrea says on March 18 2012 at 7:44 pm:

Congratulations, Kristin!!! I love reading such happy news from fellow foodie bloggers these days…there seems to be something in the water! Wishing you all the best! :)

36. Betsy says on March 18 2012 at 7:50 pm:

Congratulations Kristin! I was wondering if your absence could be baby-related :) We had our first baby (a girl also) a year and a half ago – what a wonderful life-changing experience! My unsolicited advice (of which I am sure you are receiving a lot right about now)? Use a midwife! Best of luck to you and your family!

37. Barbara says on March 19 2012 at 7:22 am:

Congratulations! Looking forward to all your maternity posts! :)
    I’ll look up my all time favorite (from Joy of Cooking) and compare. Mine starts to harden when it hits the ice cream.

38. Joy says on March 19 2012 at 11:31 pm:

Congratulations, Kristin!!!
    From someone who has loved reading your blog for a long time, but never posted before – I am SO happy for you and Kevin!!! Your way of sharing the good news with us all was wonderful, too – giving us a tease by the title of the post (and the first sentence), then taking us through delicious pictures and writing about chocolate – and then announcing your fabulous news!
    Wishing you the best throughout your pregnancy! (and looking forward to August!)

39. Dani says on March 20 2012 at 5:27 am:

Congratulations!! :)

40. Lauren says on March 21 2012 at 4:16 pm:

Congrats! I’m due 8/11-and I think I now have to make that fudge sauce tonight! As my husband now knows…once I see a food I want…there’s no distracting me!

41. Jacqui says on March 27 2012 at 2:23 pm:

belated congrats, Kristin!

42. Molly says on March 28 2012 at 1:40 am:

Yippee!!!!! Couldn’t he happier for you two! You will make spectacular parents. Love love love!!

43. Shannon says on March 28 2012 at 3:43 pm:

Oh what wonderful news! Congrats! :)

44. nicole says on March 29 2012 at 1:13 pm:

How absolutely wonderful! So many congrats to you all! (Making fudge sauce ingredient list now …)

45. R.Marsh says on March 29 2012 at 2:00 pm:

Congrats!

I’m due with twin boys in Mid July…

So Fun…enjoy every minute.

46. Dana says on April 06 2012 at 4:18 pm:

Congratulations! I was wondering where you went… Best to you both.