in that kitchen

June 25 2012 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Drink,Recipe » 14 comments

fresh-squeezed lemonade

As it turns out, moving is some difficult business. After five years in our old place, we moved about a month ago, in a weekend that re-defined exhaustion. We’d spent the prior weeks slowly packing up our place—each glass, every book, all those pairs of shoes—into boxes. We hired men to actually move those boxes (I was 7-months pregnant, after all), but the real work began when we arrived at our new place. We’ve been unpacking and settling in since we arrived—going on four weeks now. With the help of Kevin’s parents and my parents (and those burly movers), most of the work was behind us after the first two weekends. Since then, we’ve been filling in the gaps here and there.

fresh-squeezed lemonade

In my real estate history, five years is a long time. Aside from childhood homes, I’ve never lived anywhere nearly that long. So, I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised by the big, hot tears on my cheeks when, over this past weekend, Kevin and I picked up a few final things from our old place, left our keys on the kitchen counter and said goodbye. In my rush to sell that place (Not enough room for the baby! Too many stairs!), I seemed to have forgotten how much I had loved it, and how much life—and what a good one—we had lived there.

fresh-squeezed lemonade

On the short drive over to our new place, as my tears eased, we talked about how odd it was to see the space so empty. The furniture-less rooms and the empty cupboards and the bare walls seemed to provide endless space to envision the scenes that had unfolded in those rooms. Within those walls, we’d gotten married, I’d graduated from law school, and we learned that we were pregnant. We’d hosted Thanksgivings and countless barbecues, and we’d made a meal with my sister every week, when she lived in Chicago. Our guestroom served as a temporary home to many of our favorite people, and we’d marveled over the skyline and the spectacle of July 4 fireworks from the roof deck.

fresh-squeezed lemonade

As we drove to our new home, Kevin asked me what I had pictured as we walked through the empty rooms. I struggled to pick only one of these many memories, and as I thought about it, he answered his own question. “I thought of you in that kitchen, cooking.” And that made me so happy and proud, and nostalgic and blue, too.

fresh-squeezed lemonade

I started this blog during our first year in that apartment, so many of the stories of this blog are also the stories of that apartment. Now that we’re in our new place (which I love), and I’m learning the rhythms of our new kitchen, it seemed only fitting that my first post-move post would involve a recipe that was brand new to me. I had taken photos of a pizza recipe that we made dozens of times in our old place and repeated a couple of times in the new one, but I decided this post called for a fresh start.

fresh-squeezed lemonade

And a refreshing start, too. Homemade lemonade. It was my first time making it, and it’s such a treat (and dead simple). Unlike the store-bought versions, it tastes pure and fresh, and you can adjust it to your preferences. This one’s got a pucker-y bite and a gentle sweetness to round the edges. Bittersweet, just like our move.

Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade

Yield: about 1 1/2 quarts

3/4 cup sugar
5 cups water (1 cup at room temperature, 4 cups chilled)
1 cup freshly-squeeze lemon juice (the juice from 6-8 lemons)

In a saucepan, make simple syrup by boiling sugar and 1 cup room temperature water over medium-high heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.

In a pitcher, stir together the cooled simple syrup, 2 cups chilled water and lemon juice.  Chill for at least an hour and serve.

1. Sues says on June 26 2012 at 10:01 am:

Aww :) Congrats on the move. Me and my husband (just got married 2 weeks ago!) are moving in a few weeks. We only lived in our current apt. for 2 years, but since it was our first home together, I know I’m going to have trouble saying goodbye!

I love lemonade with a puckery bite :)

2. heather @ chiknpastry says on June 27 2012 at 11:49 am:

Great, touching post. I read this and remembered exactly how we felt a little over a year ago when we sold our Chicago condo and said goodbye to the city for a move to San Francisco. Not that a move to SF was something to cry about, but man, it was hard to leave a home we’d had for 4 years (our record!). But fortunately, it looks like you’re adjusting ok – with a teeny bit of time to spare before it all changes again!

3. Kevin says on June 29 2012 at 8:40 pm:

We had some great memories, and I ate a lot of good food.

Thank you and on to new memories!

4. Lara says on June 30 2012 at 10:23 am:

Beautiful post, Kristin! I know exactly what you mean. We are moving in about a week and I’ve (unexpectedly) been nostalgic about our old house. Looking forward to our new place, but this house will always hold a special place in my heart. Thanks for sharing and here’s to fun times ahead.

5. Jacqui says on July 01 2012 at 9:10 am:

Congrats on all the good things in your life, lately! We just bought our first house and moved in last Saturday, and I thought about those same things as we left our empty apartment. And I find myself staring at the rooms at our new place and wondering what new things the next years will bring. Cheers!

6. nicole says on July 02 2012 at 12:50 pm:

Moving often is so very bittersweet … but I’m glad you have the good memories to comfort you. And your new place – how many amazing memories you will make there! Cheers to all good things.

7. kale says on July 02 2012 at 3:14 pm:

I’m loving your counter tops!

8. Katie says on July 03 2012 at 5:51 am:

Beautiful post, as always. Thank you for continuing to invite us into your space.

9. Emily says on July 03 2012 at 1:43 pm:

Have so many great memories from your old place, but I know that your new place will be home to so many, too. Great post. xox

10. Denise says on July 06 2012 at 3:24 pm:

I don’t check in as often as I used to (so many food blogs out there!), but I have always loved reading your blog, enjoying gorgeous pictures, trying delicious recipes, and following your trip through life. You remind me of my daughter. She and her husband live in DC. They had our first grandchild, Josephine, in March, unfortunately before they found a house. But they were finally in the right place at the right time and bought a beautiful one near the zoo two weeks ago. They’ll be moving very soon.

Congratulations to you both. You are going to be totally smitten by your little wonder. Food and family and friends – the best times and the best memories.

Can’t wait to see some pics of your little helper.

11. Robin@Good for the Palate says on July 09 2012 at 7:51 am:

Homemade lemonade is the best. I’m terrible at growing things but I always have fresh mint in the backyard to add to my glass.
    What was the first meal you had in your new home?

12. Shanna says on July 12 2012 at 7:43 am:

I keep waiting for the baby announcement! : ) So happy for you guys in this exciting time.

13. Betsy says on July 12 2012 at 9:54 pm:

Congratulations on your new move! It looks nice from what I can see in the pictures :) Can’t wait to hear once you have your little one! We had our first nearly two years ago – no blessing changes your life more.

14. Molly says on July 18 2012 at 1:13 pm:

Love this. (Happy) tears for you. So much big stuff up ahead. I picture your little beauty running around your new place… her place. Love!