the fact remains

July 16 2012 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Breakfast,Recipe » 13 comments

Cherry-Almond Scones

I’ll start this conversation how I start just about all of them these days: I’m still pregnant.  Depending on the audience, reactions range from dejection (grandparents-to-be) to relief (co-workers) to sympathy (women who have recently been 100 months pregnant, when it’s 1,000 degrees outside).  These reactions and my own impatience notwithstanding, the fact remains: I’m still pregnant.

Cherry-Almond Scones

I had big plans to distract myself last weekend by ginning up some nesting instinct (mine kicked in weeks ago, and disappeared after a short, but productive, stay) and stocking our freezer.  Corn chowder, baked ziti, and some pizza dough were on my list.  Perhaps I’d even buy some peak summer produce at the farmers’ market and freeze some purees for the baby’s solid food days, which will strike in the dead of Chicago’s winter.

Cherry-Almond SconesCherry-Almond Scones

And then our refrigerator and freezer broke.  Also: I’m still pregnant.

Cherry-Almond Scones

We’re renters now, so a broken appliance isn’t cause for a meltdown (ha!  get it?), and it was too hot for all that cooking last weekend anyway.  Plus, we had an excuse to bake off the remaining half batch of these scones, which I’d stashed in the freezer a few weeks back.  So, I suppose it’s more accurate to say that I’m still pregnant and breakfasts around here have been delicious.

Cherry-Almond Scones

Cherry-Almond Scones
Adapted from North Fork Table & Inn via Smitten Kitchen

Yield: 12-16 scones

2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces of butter, in 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup pitted and chopped cherries
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon almond extract
Turbinado or sanding sugar for sprinkling (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place cubed butter in freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and baking soda.  Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (or two knives or your finger tips) until the flour-butter mixture is the texture of coarse cornmeal.  Stir in the buttermilk and fruit.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently a couple times. Roll dough out to approximately one-inch thickness and cut into squares. Sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional).

Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned.

1. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen says on July 16 2012 at 11:39 pm:

MMM these cherry almond scones look so good. I am always looking for new scone recipes to try, I think my fiance would love these!

2. Sarah A. says on July 17 2012 at 2:35 am:

Stumbled across your blog and had to laugh…as I have been up since three (reading recipes online) since I am five days overdue and too uncomfortable to sleep. I have spent the last few days cooking like mad and squirreling things away in my freezer in preparation for the What Is To Come…will distract myself tomorrow by baking these delicious scones…thanks for sharing the recipe and GOOD LUCK…!

3. talley says on July 17 2012 at 4:18 am:

still pregnant + cherry almond scones sounds like an okay place to be. I just brought home a kilo of cherries from the market and I’m looking for things to put them in, these scones look like a great option. Did you find that the ones out of the freezer tasted as good as the originals?

4. Amy says on July 17 2012 at 6:09 am:

Hang in there Kristin; I remember how frustrating it can be when you’re *this* close to the end and just ready to meet the little one (and tired of all the last trimester discomforts). But, these scones look delicious and a nice silver lining to the refrigerator/freezer breaking!

5. Amanda says on July 17 2012 at 7:39 am:

I have followed your blog for a while now. Love it. Just have to tell you that I was 6 months pregnant back in 2005, the last time it was this hot. It was HORRIBLE. I feel for you. I have not had another kid since that episode. Good Luck and try and stay in water…it’s the only relief I could find when I was in your situation.

6. Jessica says on July 17 2012 at 8:46 am:

those scones look fabulous…I have yet to bake up something with cherries this season & now I have the perfect reason to :)

Hang in there! I’m currently 6 months pregnant with our first, and this record heat/humidity has me feeling like a swollen hot sausage…the next 3 months seem so daunting!

7. Delyth@thedelicious says on July 17 2012 at 10:08 am:

Hi there Kristin,
    I myself am nearly 36 weeks pregnant and wanting it to end. To make matters worse I have terrible swollen ankles which I’ve just got some compression stockings for. They are cream coloured, thick and have some wrinkles at the ankles. It’s too hot to wear jeans and they look like bandages with skirts and dresses. Just another thing to make pregnancy so much fun!! Thanks for the cherry inspiration. I have a bag sitting mocking me in the fridge.

8. Mary says on July 17 2012 at 10:45 am:

Yum! Now I know what to do with the little bit of buttermilk and cherries that have been languishing in our fridge! And if I may offer a little bit of–comfort? relief? unsolicited advice?–from a mom who has had both a beginning-of-summer baby and an end-of-summer baby: ’tis better being pregnant during the dog days of summer than having a sweaty (although extraordinarily loveable) baby plastered to you during summer. Hang in there!

9. Jessica says on July 17 2012 at 3:52 pm:

You totally have my sympathy! I have a 4 week old and I am so happy to be done before it got too hot here! It’s nice you got some things waiting in the wings when the baby comes. I only had the energy for making scones and biscuits but they certainly come in handy when I do not have a hand free to cook.

10. Jess says on July 18 2012 at 8:28 pm:

Oooo, Kristin, I’ll be thinking of you! And enjoying some cherry-almond scones, thank you very much. Seriously — that cherry and almond combination is killer. I’ve printed out the recipe and I plan on making them this weekend for a Sunday morning picnic we’re having with friends. Thank you! So excited for you and yours and what’s to come. Enjoy, enjoy, and don’t forget to be kind to yourself through it all.

11. Leanne says on July 20 2012 at 2:22 pm:

You poor, poor woman– no one should have to suffer as an overdue, pregnant woman suffers in such heat!! I hope that, this being posted four days ago, you’re now resting happily with your new little one. Hang in there!! My son is six weeks old and was two weeks late. I thought he’d never come but now I’m so smitten I almost don’t remember that. (Almost.)

The scones look marvelous– anything with cherries AND buttermilk gets my vote!

12. Nicole @ the dirty oven says on July 27 2012 at 2:04 pm:

You CAN do it! I know it is hard. Gald you are still baking and blogging. Hang in there! So, funny how even before they are born they have a personality and make their own terms. Sigh…

13. Habiba Smallen says on October 01 2012 at 6:38 am:

Beautiful photos and great site all around. May your daughter be well fed.