westward move

March 14 2013 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 20 comments

Best Brownies

A big change has been approaching around here, ever so slowly.  When we first learned about it, it felt significant and exciting and a little bit crazy and also right.  Over the past weeks, pieces have been falling into place, one by one, and suddenly the final picture has all but come into focus.  And, you know what?  It still feels significant and exciting and a little bit crazy and also right, and each of those feelings are even more vivid.  Friends, the big change is this: we’re moving to Seattle!  One week from Monday.  So, how’s that for news?

Best BrowniesBest Brownies

Eek!

Best Brownies

Kevin will be starting a new job in April, which is the reason for our westward move.  But, in all honesty, we’ve been ready for a change for some time.  While this particular change is one that we never envisioned, we’re pretty thrilled about it.  We can’t wait to explore the Pacific Northwest, and its mountains and water and markets and tulips and rain and green.  We took a (very, very) short trip earlier this month to scout Seattle out, and we were smitten.  We’ll be living in Fremont, and we welcome any and all suggestions and tips as we get settled.

Best Brownies

Back home, there’s been a lot of preparation and the parade of “lasts” has officially begun.  We’ll have a lot of relocation assistance through Kevin’s new employer.  In light of the suddenly mobile third member of this moving party (who knew that rolling and army-crawling-in-reverse could be such efficient modes of transportation?!), all I can say about this assistance is thank goodness.  But, still, we’re trying to organize and pare down, and we’ve been ticking off the items on our rather daunting to do list, one-by-one.

Best Brownies (+ Baby)

It’s felt a little disjointed to do all of this—all of these things that feel so momentous—against the backdrop of our everyday, normal lives.  We’ve been grocery shopping as usual, feeding the baby, watching our normal TV shows (guilty), making dinner every night, heading into work in the mornings.  Every now and again, we’ll stop to pinch ourselves, to remind ourselves that this adventure is real, and it’s almost here.  Or we’ll clink little glasses of champagne to toast this new direction we’re headed in.  Or we’ll bake up a pan of these brownies to celebrate.

Avery + Peas

These brownies fit the bill exactly during this time of new and old.  I’ve been making them for years (they’re a mash up of this recipe and this one), and they keep changing, keep getting better.  That’s precisely my hope for my family, too.

Best Brownies

Yield: About 16 brownies

1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 12-ounce bag semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small dish, soak dried cherries in bourbon; set aside.  Grease a 9-inch square baking pan, line with parchment paper, and grease the parchment paper.

Combine butter and cream in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer until butter is melted.   Add about 2/3 of the bag of chocolate chips; stir until the chips are melted.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder and salt.  In another bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Whisk the melted chocolate mixture into the sugar-egg mixture.  Fold the flour mixture into the chocolate-egg mixture.  Fold in the chocolate chips and soaked cherries.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.  Bake for 40 minutes.  Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.

1. Shanna says on March 14 2013 at 8:51 pm:

!!!! tell me the truth, was it the pain of one more Chicago winter? (I kid, I kid… kind of). I am so happy for your little family — Seattle is such a beautiful place. Go to Delancey! : )

2. Elizabeth says on March 14 2013 at 8:58 pm:

Congrats! Welcome to the BEST coast!

3. Amy says on March 14 2013 at 9:31 pm:

Ahhh when I saw the title I immediately had the feeling that you were moving to Seattle. It’s my favorite city, always has been, always will be. Congratulations!! I’m sure you’ll love it here (and right in time, NOTHING beats summers in the Northwest! :)

Yes and among many, many good food rec’s I can offer for Seattle: the pink door, cafe presse, molly moon’s ice cream, oddfellows, dahlia lounge, and the walrus and the carpenter.

Hope we get to hear more, post-move!

4. Sarah says on March 14 2013 at 10:22 pm:

Moving is always a bit unsettling, but it sounds like you’re so excited; I’m sure you’ll do great! Can’t wait to see and hear all about the new digs.

5. Kate says on March 15 2013 at 5:32 am:

Your daughter’s eyes are killer; and that face covered in food? *sigh*

Best of luck in your move and new home. Will you continue to write on the blog? Cause I’d miss you if you stopped.

6. kel says on March 15 2013 at 5:33 am:

Congrats! Please get in touch with Emily Malone – http://www.dailygarnish.com/
    I believe she lived in that neighborhood area and is also a Seattle newby by two years. I enjoy both of your blogs!

7. Whitney says on March 15 2013 at 7:18 am:

I echo Kel’s comment about Emily! She should be a great Seattle resource. As much as I love Chicago, I am a tad jealous because I think that I would also love Seattle!

Are you going to have to take the Washington bar??

8. Kevin says on March 15 2013 at 8:44 am:

Can’t wait to share the adventure with you and A!

9. Karen says on March 15 2013 at 5:10 pm:

I’m a long time reader and it’s nice to have you in our town. I’d be happy to give you any tips you’d like about restaurants, outdoor fun, road trips, kid stuff, etc. Welcome to the Emerald City!

10. Ali says on March 20 2013 at 10:45 am:

Can’t wait for family dinners in your new city! The West Coast is lucky to have you… XO.

11. Katie says on March 20 2013 at 4:57 pm:

Congratulations!! I have to echo Kel and Whitney’s remarks about Emily over at Daily of Garnish. She is a fabulous resource on all things Seattle, especially local parks, markets, and dining, and her 1.5 year old son is adorable!

Wishing you and Kevin the best of luck and we hope to hear more of your adventures soon!

12. Diane erdahl says on March 24 2013 at 8:29 am:

So excited for your new journey!cant wait to visit and learn more about Seattle. See you soon.

13. Annie says on March 24 2013 at 8:37 am:

Congratulations! We are in a similar boat-my husband and I are moving to Seattle (in about a year when our house is completely renovated here near Minneapolis) and we are ecstatic as well. We asked to be transferred with his company and it truly is a crazy ride. We’ve wanted to be in the Pacific Northwest since we graduated from college 7 years ago. I know how you feel. I’m a bit jealous you’re leaving in a little more than a week. Seattle is an amazing place!

14. Kim says on March 24 2013 at 7:26 pm:

Congrats! My husband’s family lives in Olympia — it’s rainy up there, but beautiful!

These brownies look delish…will have to try them.

15. Lara says on March 26 2013 at 9:38 pm:

Congrats, Kristin! We love Seattle and I can totally see you guys loving it too. How exciting! X’s and O’s to all of you!

16. EngineerMom says on April 05 2013 at 9:44 pm:

So excited for you! We used to live in St. Paul, MN, then moved to Cincinnati in 2009, and then out here to Seattle in August 2012! My in-laws live in Chicago, so sometimes when I read your blog, I get that “kindred spirit” feeling. :-)

You’re going to love it out here – the food scene is amazing, the people are actually quite friendly, and you’re about to move right at the beginning of some amazing weather. The mountains will blow you away, and there’s tons of parks and lakes, just like Minnesota.

When you get here, check out the Interurban Trail (we live right on it near Shoreline!), South Lake Union, and the ferry out to Bainbridge Island. Also, sign up for Red Tricycle – it’s a free site that sends out e-mails with kid-friendly info all over the Seattle area, from restaurants to events to parks.

Good luck with your move!

17. Louise says on April 08 2013 at 3:13 pm:

I am a long time reader and first time commenter (I think) but I had to speak up to say welcome to Seattle! It’s a wonderful place. Once the weather warms up, Ballard has an awesome farmers market on Sundays you should check out (very close to Fremont). Make sure you go to Agua Verde on a sunny day (be prepared to wait) to eat on the deck on Lake Union. There are so many fun neighborhoods to explore and tasty treats to enjoy. If you don’t love it right away, don’t despair. Wait til September when it’s warm and sunny and the whole city smells like blackberries.

I say this all rather nostalgically as someone who is preparing to move myself– from Seattle to India! Boy do I know about preparations and lasts sprinkled in among the daily routine. Good luck with the move and settling in.

18. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says on April 15 2013 at 1:32 pm:

Ohmygosh! I want to live in Seattle :) congrats on the move!

19. Angie says on April 24 2013 at 5:27 pm:

Woo-hoo! I live in Seattle (the Ballard neighborhood which is adjacent to Fremont). I moved here from the midwest 15 years ago (holy crap!) and I LOVE it. I hope you love it, too!

20. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on April 25 2013 at 10:12 pm:

Thanks, everyone! We’re really excited to be here!