never end

July 10 2013 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Drink,Recipe,Vacation » 10 comments

Northern MN + Dark & Stormies

One of the worst parts about growing up is the end of Summer Vacation.  Summer as an adult is, of course, still wonderful, but the very best parts—the parts with grill smoke and popsicles and fire flies and toes dipped in cold water—get pressed into the margins of day-to-day life.  So the Summer Vacation feeling makes only fleeting appearances, during an after-work stroll, say, or a too-brief weekend afternoon spent lakeside.

Northern MN + Dark & Stormies
Northern MN + Dark & Stormies

And that makes it impossible to believe in the Summer Vacation myth that I fell for year after year as a kid: that it’ll never end.  That the days will continue to unspool like one Saturday after another for as long as you can imagine.  I’d give almost anything to subscribe to that innocent fantasy again.

Northern MN + Dark & StormiesNorthern MN + Dark & StormiesNorthern MN + Dark & Stormies

I’m so grateful that this summer, at least, we got a little taste of it.  Within the past month, we spent a long weekend in Chicago, and then almost a week in Minnesota, and in between those trips, we had several house guests and a day off in the middle of the week for the Fourth of July.  We still had to squeeze in the real life of work and groceries and such, but it was those mundane tasks that got pressed to the margins, while a full embrace of summer took center stage.

Northern MN + Dark & StormiesNorthern MN + Dark & Stormies

It was such a treat.

Northern MN + Dark & StormiesNorthern MN + Dark & Stormies

These photos are from our time in northern Minnesota, at my friend Molly’s family cabin. Molly and I have known each other for 25 (!) years, and I grew up spending weekends at the lake with her family.  On this visit, Molly was with her husband and her 1-year-old son, and I was with Kevin and Avery.  It was so special to return to the same waters that we used to splash in as kids, only this time with our own kids.

Northern MN + Dark & Stormies
Northern MN + Dark & Stormies

During all of this summer fun, we’ve strictly observed the cocktail hour, which I suppose is quite a perk of Grown-Up Summer.  While we were in Minnesota, my stepfather poured himself a Dark & Stormy most nights, and when we got home, I realized that I wished I’d asked him to pour me one too.

Northern MN + Dark & Stormies

So I mixed one up at home.  The pucker of the lime juice and the zing and fizz of the (very special) ginger beer and the mellow spice of the dark rum, all mingled together in a tall glass with clinking ice cubes, and it tasted like summer would never end.

Northern MN + Dark & StormiesNorthern MN + Dark & Stormies

Dark & Stormy

Serves 1

2 ounces dark rum
4 ounces ginger beer
2 big lime wedges

Fill a tall glass with ice.  Squeeze a wedge of lime over the ice and drop into the glass.  Top the ice with the rum and then the ginger beer.  Give the drink a quick stir and garnish with the remaining lime wedge.

1. Kevin says on July 10 2013 at 10:59 am:

It’s been a great few weeks, but apparently summer hasn’t even started in Seattle! Anyway, more of these this weekend please…

2. Shanna says on July 10 2013 at 11:05 am:

Oh, summer. Such an easy season to love.

3. Kara says on July 10 2013 at 1:28 pm:

Dark and stormies! Some of my very favorite – sadly, I had to have just the Ginger Beer part over the holiday as we are waiting for our second to arrive in late August.

But mostly I wanted to comment and say how gorgeous the pictures are here! WOW! And how at ease you look and sound traveling with an infant! I’m super impressed!!

4. Alice says on July 10 2013 at 3:44 pm:

Looks just glorious. Beautiful photos – thanks for sharing.

5. diane says on July 10 2013 at 6:20 pm:

Vacation was fabulous,each and every piece of it! Thanks for sharing it with us and Ren is so pleased you are trying his favorite summer beverage. Enjoy!! MOM

6. Brynn says on July 11 2013 at 12:05 pm:

Corey and I also had Dark & Stormies on our recent summer vacation because they are oh so…vacationy…and delicious. And they elicit fun memories (Bermuda! There’s nothing better than vacation with a gaggle of friends, right?).

7. Kate says on July 13 2013 at 5:50 am:

It’s been such a perfect Summer in Minnesota, so quintessential, like a poem that easily describes the wonders of July in a Northern state. I’m glad you got some time to enjoy it. Cheers!!

8. Peg says on July 13 2013 at 12:23 pm:

This post is so eloquent! Your prose and photos are very inspiring. Not to mention that your little girl is too cute for words! Thank you for bringing some of my summer memories back to mind. Northern Illinois was not so different 50 years ago. . . .

9. Claudia ~ Food with a View says on July 16 2013 at 11:39 pm:

Wonderful summer impressions!

10. Kristin at The Kitchen Sink says on July 17 2013 at 3:52 pm:

Kev: Coming right up!

Shanna: Yes!

Kara: Congrats! And I wouldn’t use the word “easy,” but I was surprised at how well it went. A’s not quite walking yet, so that helped.

Mom: Yes, it was! Wish we could go back. xo

Brynn: Oh, Bermuda. Sigh. (PS: Miss you!)

Kate: You guys earned it — it was a rough and long winter!

Peg: Such kind words — thanks!

Claudia: Thank you!