to the oven again

October 03 2013 by Kristin at The Kitchen Sink in Dessert,Recipe » 8 comments

Apple Pie Cake

I know I shouldn’t complain (already!), especially because Seattle did spring and summer so right, but the fall here in the PNW has left a little to be desired.  There has been a lot of rain and the skies have been mainly gray.  I suppose I should get used to it.  The other day, someone commented on the “winter so far,” as in winter is happening now.  It was October 2!  Of course, there have been a couple of golden sunlight-drenched days here and there (like the day I took these photos), and we’ve tried to take advantage of them as much as possible.

Apple Pie Cake

On the other days, my cooking has gotten heavier and heartier.  As in beef stew heavy/hearty.  And I’m feeling drawn to the oven again.  We don’t have air conditioning in our home (it’s really rare in Seattle, apparently), so I did almost no baking this summer.  But the cooler air has given me the itch again.

Apple Pie Cake

A couple weekends ago, I was in the mood for an apple cake and Kevin wanted an apple pie.  This recipe is a perfect mash-up of the two.

Apple Pie Cake

Apple Pie Cake
Martha Stewart Everyday Food

Serves 8

This recipe has a very basic ingredient list and an unusual method.  I had my doubts that it would come together into a cohesive cake in the oven, but, lo!, it did.  Have faith.  The result looks like a cake, but it tastes more like an apple pie.  Which, of course, is not a bad thing.

2 cups flour
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
8 tart apples, such as Granny Smith
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using an electric mixer or a pastry cutter, cut in butter until the mixture forms pea-size pieces. Press 2/3 of the mixture onto bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 9-inch springform pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel apples, cut into thin slices, and place in a bowl. Pour off any accumulated liquid. Toss apple slices with remaining teaspoon cinnamon and lemon juice, and put them in the prepared pan, pressing down gently as you pack them in (they will mound above the edge of the pan). Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top.

Put the pan on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, and let the cake cool in the pan to set. Serve at room temperature.

1. Tracey says on October 03 2013 at 4:26 pm:

The best of both worlds, I love this idea!

2. Hagit says on October 14 2013 at 10:50 am:

this cake is well known in our family for some years,but our recipe contain 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of semolina.if you make it in a bigger pan it will be less soggy, I also made versions with rhubarb&apples, plums.. easy and tasty cake/

3. EL says on October 15 2013 at 8:28 pm:

I just read that there is a butterfly house at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle where even on cold and gray days, the lights reproduce sunlight. It’s just a suggestion for when the cold and gray get to you. . .

4. Vicki says on October 17 2013 at 6:31 pm:

I’ve been reading your blog on and off for ages but just realized we live in the same city! Seattle! I have to say that I was dreading the Fall because I just assumed everyday will be grey. However this fall has provided some nice days and no perpetual drizzle, which means it’s not bad at all! Give Seattle a chance!
    Also, this apple pie cake looks great!

5. diane says on October 23 2013 at 7:45 am:

Looks interesting,have to try it..

6. annie @ foodierobots.com says on November 14 2013 at 10:58 am:

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing

7. Nicole says on December 10 2013 at 11:41 am:

This cake looks great! The first few falls and winters were hard for me after our move here from Minnesota (Go Grand Rapids and St. Paul!!). BUT, that being said, it didn’t take me long to appreciate the trade offs when you get that 50/60 degree day in JANUARY and you are outside in a t-shirt while Minnesota is digging out from their latest blizzard.

Love your photos and your writing. I was browsing through my blogroll links for photos to pin (I like to support and promote my fellow bloggers when I can!) and realized I had not been keeping up very well with my favorites!

8. Carol at Wild Goose Tea says on February 26 2014 at 3:05 pm:

OMG I have never seen anything quite like
    this. Awesome. I live in Washington too—THE apple state—so this fits right in. Wow this recipe might be me a more popular person